Austin Babies

Stand Up Paddle Boarding While KU?

Anybody gone stand up paddle boarding while pregnant? The only danger would be falling, but I haven't seen too many people falling off a SUP board. I follow the SUP-ATX group on facebook and I want to go try it out tomorrow.

I'll call my MW after lunch to double check, but I was wondering if anyone here already knew it was yay or ney.

Re: Stand Up Paddle Boarding While KU?

• I definitely wouldn't.  Your center of gravity changes while pg and falling is much easier.  Plus - if you haven't done it before, I would think there will definitely be some falling.
  • If you'd been doing it then I think it's safe but since you've never done it and there would be a huge learning curve, I wouldn't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • EmerEmer member
    I wouldn't.  I think if you did fall, it would be dangerous.  And while it may not be common to fall, there is still a chance of it happening since your center of gravity is different.  I just think it's too risky.
  • wouldnt you just fall in water?  i'm not familiar with the sport.  if you were just falling into water i'd do it, but i do cannonballs into barton springs while pregnant ;)
  • ouch.  that makes sense- yeah if you're gonna knock your tail bone on a surf board i'd skip it!  
  • EMTXEMTX member

Ditto those who mentioned falling on your tummy on the board (or even a hard thump on your butt)... I wouldn't! Not worth the risk.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • well fiddlesticks... man being pregnant is so boring. Can't go rock climbing, can't play roller derby, can't paddle board... Ugh. Soooooo bored sitting around.

• no offense, but I think there would be quite a few women who would be happy to be in your "boring" position. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagessinca:
    no offense, but I think there would be quite a few women who would be happy to be in your "boring" position. 

I'm sure there are. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for this baby- it's definitely a blessing. Just wish there was more exciting things to do in a seated position.

• You don't have to stay seated, it just means not doing things that are dangerous to you or the child you're carrying.

I spent a lot of time hiking, swimming, hanging out on the lake (no, I couldn't wakeboard the entire season I was PG, nor most of the season after because DD freaked when I got in the water but I sure as heck wasn't sitting around at home feeling sorry for myself), etc, etc. I was happy to give up certain things for such a short time in order to have the amazing gift I have now.

How awesome would you feel if you did those things and caused uterine abruption or something equally horrifying? Consider it your first lesson in lifestyle adjustment.

• So what you're saying is I need to take a hike **drum roll**. :)

Swimming and hiking are probably a good activities. Any other suggestions ladies? I'm getting cabin fever.

• You may not be able to do roller derby, but you can still roller skate as long as you're proficient (and I'm assuming you are if you derby!).

If you want to be on the water, there's kayaking, canoeing, and that type of stuff if you don't have a Big Ol' Boat. Hamilton Pool! 

You could probably still rock climb some, but more like easy drills rather than anything that really pushes you. Basic stuff that keeps up *some* of your skills but probably won't advance them much beyond conditioning.

You just have to take your normal activities and tone them down based on your abilities. For example, most people wouldn't ski while PG but I've been skiing as long as I've been walking so I would have (had we travelled to skki country....) without much thought. I don't even remember the last time I fell on skis...

There are usually PG GTG's too, which aren't exactly physically challenging but still a fun way to get out and spend time with other mama's to be. 

• I am 20 weeks and Stand Up Paddled for 2 hours yesterday.  You will wipe out...and getting back on the board is tricky with a belly.  If you are a water person and have surfed, etc...it's a great way to get out there again.  I would just recommend going somewhere flat and without wind :)  Have Fun!! 
  • I was getting cabin fever myself this weekend.  We ended up going to the Rockin River pool in Round Rock (wouldn't have gone all the way up there if my niece, nephew and mom weren't with me).  Floating around the little river thing in a tube was really nice and relaxing, even if the pool was way overcrowded.  Hang in there!
  • I'm 3 1/2 months preggo. Just ordered our SUP-ATX boards from my home state. I live in the Florida Keys now and I'm very active. I run 3 miles a day.... snorkel.... weight lift.. and now Paddleboarding. If you fall.... you fall into the water. There is not much chance of hurting ANYTHING, much less your baby. Your baby is protected. I have 1 regular dr, a midwife, and 3 family members who are all dr's (baby dr's). They encourage me to paddleboard. Said it's the best exercise and its so healthy to just get outside and enjoy life. I'm sorry for those of you who say no... you probably aren't active enough. There is no need to worry even if it is your first time. I had NEVER tried it until 1 week ago.... and I have already logged 12 hours on this board. About to go right now..... and spend atleast 3 hours on it. Even if I get tired I can sit down, lay down, whatever.... iits awesome!! Believe me, I will be on that board everyday until the baby is born. After that.... the baby... can get on it too. Of course... I'll wait til he can sit up on his own. Our 4 year old rides with Daddy and Loves it too!!

Do not hesititate.... try it you will LOVE it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"