Parenting after a Loss
Options

when did you "turn" your car seat?

My LO just turned one and is 23 lbs.  I was wondering when to turn his car seat to face forward, so who better to ask than you!  So when did you turn it around?

Re: when did you "turn" your car seat?

• Options
    We haven't yet.  The new AAP recommendations are to wait until 2 years based upon it being safer for the kids if you get in an accident before then.  Some countries wait until 4 years!  (I don't think we'll wait that long).  It's a hot button topic on the other boards :)
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Options
    DD is still happily rear-facing in DH's truck. I turned her a couple of weeks ago in my car.  She turned 2 last Sunday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are waiting at least til she's 2.. maybe longer.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I have NO problem waiting but for some reason I thought that I heard 1 and 20 lbs.  I thought that was small!  Rear facing for at least another year for me!
  • Options
    ibisibis member
    1 year is the minimum, that's probably what you remember... our car seat inspector told us to stay rear facing pretty much as long as DS can stand it.
  • Options

imagenngunn:
    Thanks ladies!  I have NO problem waiting but for some reason I thought that I heard 1 and 20 lbs.  I thought that was small!  Rear facing for at least another year for me!

This did indeed used to be the recommendations, it just recently changed. 

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Options

We are waiting as long as possible, which may mean we have to turn him around right when the new baby is here (both seats won't fit with his still RF). Because the AAP (and others) recommends it safety until at least 2 we want to keep him as safe as possible...especially considering that he is on the small/slim side. His weight at 12 months was only 20 lb on the dot. That coupled with the extra-large head seems to make me think that in an accident his neck could really be at risk under the wrong forces. For all those reasons we feel he will be safest to continue RF and he's fine that way. We have a mirror on his headrest so he can see out the front and see us (and vice versa), so he has never had reason to complain about being RF. He also has never known any different, so why would he?

I do have a friend (several, in fact) who chose to turn them around right at one year. So each family just decides what they prefer to do.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"