3rd Trimester

Carpal Tunnel/Sleep Help!

My pregnancy induced carpal tunnel has gotten pretty severe. To the point that I am waking up 20+ times a night due to the tingling, numbness and pain in my hands and arms. I feel like a zombie. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to sleep more comfortably with carpal tunnel? Thanks!

Re: Carpal Tunnel/Sleep Help!

• Talk to your OB about prescribing wrist braces for you. They won't eliminate the problem, but they should help (they help me, anyway). Back when I was pregnant with DS1, my OB prescribed some for me and my insurance covered them (I guess I may have had a copay, I don't remember, but it still saved a lot of money).

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • I'm right there with ya! I sleep on and off throughout the day because I'm not sleeping at night. The hospital gave me a brace to wear at night. I wore it for one night and now instead of having just a tingling/numb feeling, I now have extreme pain in my wrist. I can't even lift anything with that hand. Now my finger joints have swelled up and achy too...I hope it all goes away when LO is born. 5 more weeks...that's all I keep telling myself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel your pain... I purchased one of those wrist braces from Walgreens and use that pretty much all day and night, sleeping with it too. I try to keep my hand elevated on a pillow or placed above my head when I'm sleeping to help. Sometimes I'll need DH to massage my wrist/hand to ease the pain. Hang in there!

• buy some wrist braces at the drugstore - I had it bad with DD and sleeping in these was all that helped. Thought I had escaped it this time but the last few nights it has reared its head...about to dig out my braces :)
  • Definitely wrist braces.  I bought some at the drugstore when I was diagnosed at 32 weeks.  Drinking a ton of water helps, too, as well as cutting back sodium. 

I thought the wrist braces weren't doing anything anymore, so I left them off last night while I slept.  BIG MISTAKE.  I woke up several times with my hands throbbing in pain worse than I ever experienced from CTS.  I had to bring them to work with me - now I'm typing with them on.  And I won't leave them off again for the rest of this pregnancy! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sleep with wrist braces. Has worked for me for 10 years. :)
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"