D.C. Area Babies

how long before your due date was your scheduled c-s?

I'm interested in answers for your 2nd child, especially.

I had an emergency c-s w/ DD, I went into labor 4 days past my due date. Drs think I will likely need a c-s again b/c DD failed to progress and did not handle contractions well and we had to go in for an emergency when her HR dropped to 30! They say this is likely to happen again.

I am not one of those women who has to have a vaginal birth so a scheduled c-s is just fine with me. If I go into labor on my own before then, we'll see how things go. I was 8cm by the time I got to the hospital 4hrs after waking up w/ labor pains so it's possible I'll go very fast if I do go into labor on my own. (Unfortunately 6hrs later I was still 9-9.5cm).

Anyway...my c-s is scheduled 8 days before my due date which means DS will be cooking 12 days less than DD, so a whole pound less gained. DD was 7lbs 4oz. Sometimes that worries me. I feel like I should give him a chance to develop as much as possible in utero. I know plenty of babies are born much earlier than 8 days before their due date and are totally fine. I know I will be miserable those last few weeks and counting the hours till my scheduled c-s.  But a little part of me worries that taking him out too early is not a good idea.

thoughts??

Re: how long before your due date was your scheduled c-s?

  • I had mine scheduled for 4 days after my due date, but my water broke on my due date! 

    My doctor and I decided on the C-section the day before my due date due to DS's size.  I was due on a Saturday and we had it scheduled for the following Wednesday. 

    HTH's

  • DD was born via emergency c section at 38 weeks and 2 days.  They have scheduled my c-section for LO#2 for 39 weeks and 2 days.  Part of me doesn't think I'll make it that far, since I didn't last time, but who knows.  I am confident that as long as I'm past 37 weeks, anytime is fine with me.  I would try not to worry about it since the general rule seems to be 37 weeks for mature lungs.  And don't they say that 2nd babies are bigger anyway? 
  • My OB has already planned my c-section for DC2 even though we aren't planning on having another one for a couple of years.  Given the nature of my first c-section I cannot have a VBAC, I had too many cuts because he was too big to come out and my uterus won't be able to handle it.  The OB said they will schedule it at 38 weeks.  I had DS at 36 weeks unexpectedly, went into labor and was dilated 10cm in less than two hours.  They are hoping that this won't happen again but are going to schedule the c-section at 38 weeks to lessen the chance of me going into labor.  This was the earliest they felt comfortable scheduling it.  It's a tricky situation, but DS was born at 36 weeks completely healthy, 8.5 pounds and is ahead in every milestone so far.  He apparently decided he was fully cooked.

  • I had my repeat C-section with Molly at 39 weeks exactly - my doc did C-sections on Wednesdays in the practice so my choices were 39 or 40 weeks.  Maggie was born at 6lbs full term and Molly was 7.5lbs at 39 weeks.  I gained the same amount of weight with both of them but Molly came out bigger.
  • 10 days before my due date.  When he was born the delivery nurse was convinced he was even earlier.  He had characteristics of a younger baby.
    image
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c July 2007
    Patrick born August 2008
    TTC #2 since March 2009
    m/c April 2009
    Ectopic September 2009
    m/c December 2009
    m/c January 2010
    m/c March 2010
    m/c May 2010
    m/c August 2010
    diagnosed with thyroid disease, clotting disorder
    BFP 3rd iui April 2011
    m/c April 2011
    Started ivf June 2011, ER 8/19, 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 embryos transfered 8/22
    BFP 8/28
    BabyName Ticker
  • 4 days before my due date. DS was 8lb8oz.
    image




    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 3 days, DS was 9 lbs, 2 oz.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't have a C-section but was induced early due to pre-E.  DD was born 12 days pre-due date and was fine.  I would ask your docs why 8 days out - why not 3 days (or whatever days)?  What's their rationale?  Obviously size was not an issue.

    (I should note that my docs were pushing me to schedule a C-section (around 39 weeks), but the idea was pre-empted by more immediate necessity.)

  • We scheduled DS2 for the day after his due date, and he was 10 lbs. when he was born (no GD for me or anything that would have indicated he would be so big).  DS1 came 3 days after his due date and was 8.5 lbs.  So for us there was no correlation of weights and due dates.

    They would have scheduled it 39 weeks or later -- I opted to give him until his due date to come out VBAC before resorting to a c-section.

    Zachary, 8.31.2007 * * * Adam, 3.24.2010


    imageimage
  • It's my understanding that the ACOG and AMA recommend waiting as long as possible before performing a cesarean birth or induction.  Although I am not a doctor, I have to question their logic that since you had problems with #1, that it will happen the same way with #2.  Every pregnancy, every child is different.  I am also curious if you had pitocin with #1, since that can be a huge factor in causing fetal distress (it can cause tetanic contractions of the uterus, which means it doesn't relax between contractions, reducing or almost completely restricting blood flow and oxygen to the baby).  If you are worried about taking him out too early, but not necessarily set on needing a vaginal birth, can you compromise and schedule the surgery for your due date or a day or so later?  Or even better, wait until labor starts then go in for the surgery?  I truly think you have a valid concern, and although babies are born early all the time, it isn't a risk I would necessarily want to take.
  • yes, they did put me on Pitocin w/ DD (but I felt nothing, thank you, epi!)

    thanks for everyone's responses. It's something I'll bring up at my OB appt tomorrow. Maybe re-schedule it for 3 days before my due date or some closer date.

     

  • if it were me i'd just wait to have the c on or close to my due date.  you have no complications, have normal sized babies, there is no reason whatsoever to rush it.
  • I should add that the only reason mine was as early as it was was because I had some complications and they didn't want to let me go past 38 weeks.
    image
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c July 2007
    Patrick born August 2008
    TTC #2 since March 2009
    m/c April 2009
    Ectopic September 2009
    m/c December 2009
    m/c January 2010
    m/c March 2010
    m/c May 2010
    m/c August 2010
    diagnosed with thyroid disease, clotting disorder
    BFP 3rd iui April 2011
    m/c April 2011
    Started ivf June 2011, ER 8/19, 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 embryos transfered 8/22
    BFP 8/28
    BabyName Ticker
  • only have one kid.  scheduled for 7 days before EDD but Rae came three weeks early anyway. I would wait as long as possible after my experience (Rae was in the NICU for a week because she had jaundice) but my OB told me standard scheduled C-sections are usually done 1 week prior to EDD
  • I would definitely talk to your Dr. about it.  I didn't have a c-section with DD and they aren't sure what we're doing this time around.  DS was measuring 7lb7oz at 34w2d so they are leaning towards a c-section because of his size.  Unless I go on my own, they will not perform a c-section prior to 39w.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was scheduled 10 days before my due date. I was not having complications. I didn't question it at the time, I had the impression they scheduled it that far before to help ensure the woman was not already in labor.

    Now I'm all curious about how standard that sentiment is.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards