3rd Trimester

Bright red mucous plug/cramps/pressure...bloody show?

I know there is a post asking what the difference is a few down but here's my situation.  Tuesday I had an internal...1cm and 50%.  That night I had a tiny bit of blood tinged discharge and lots of period cramping for the next 24 hours.  Over the next day or two the period cramping (I could feel it in my back too) turned into these really sharp pains in my low belly..so bad I can't stand up straight at times or have to double over in pain.  That has been going on for about 36-48 hours.  It comes and goes and doesn't always make my belly tighten.  I am not convinced they are contractions...and at my NST today no contractions showed up (although I didn't really feel any of that type of pain for the 20 minutes I was hooked up so who knows).  I also had spotting randomly on the TP just a few times since Tuesday night but this morning I lost a piece of my MP and it was brownish red from what I could tell since it was in the toilet but when I wiped (sorry I hate that word...) it was red red.  So I told doc what was going on today after my NST and she wanted to go ahead and do a pelvic exam.  Still 1cm and 50%.  But she confirmed I was losing my plug.  She also said the pain I was feeling were probably some contractions but also just the pressure from the baby (even though he hasn't dropped) and it hurts more this time around since my muscles are more relaxed since its my 2nd pregnancy.  Just now I went to the bathroom and out came lots more of my plug.  It was bright red.  

So....my question is, is this what they call "bloody show" or just me losing my mucous plug?  Because from what I read it says that if your plug is pink or red tinged you will probably go into labor very soon, like in hours or days.  And then they say the same thing for bloody show on whattoexpect.com which they classify as:

"Bloody show," a pink- or brown-tinged stringy mucus discharge,"  (umm...check)

What you need to know about it: If you've experienced the bloody show, you can usually expect to go into labor within the next several days ? unless you're a fast starter, in which case you could be going into labor within the next several hours. (Nice and predictable, right?) In general, though, bloody show means you can hurry up and wait. And you won't know for sure that labor has arrived until you feel those first real contractions. So when you see that bloody show, get ready ? but don't head out the door just yet.  is a sign that your cervix is dilating and/or effacing."  

So I'm a little confused.  My doctor said she definitely doesn't think I'll make it to my due date but told me to hold off until she gets back from a wedding she was forced to go to in Washington DC this weekend.  :(  She told me absolutely no walking around in an effort to get labor going and no SEX!  haha (not a problem...lol)  She said she'll be back Sunday night at 9 so try to hold off til then.  (she was just kidding with me of course)  Anyway, just wondering if those with a BLOODY mucous plug went into labor quicker than those with clear, green, brown, etc plugs.  And if bloody show and a bloody mucus plug are hte same thing?  

Hope this wasn't too confusing!  I'm trying to type fast since DS just woke up from his nap and I can hear him start to get restless!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Bright red mucous plug/cramps/pressure...bloody show?

• From what we were told in class and what I read bloody show is blood from your cervix dilating. 

The blood you've experienced can be leftover from the internals you've had this week. It could be a sign of impending labor. Only time will tell!

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am 40 weeks and 1 day, lost my MP over 2 weeks ago and still no baby. Everyone's body goes differently. The symptoms that you are experiencing, I've been having for weeks now...I would just relax and let it all play it's course but of course call the Dr if it will make you feel better. FYI I've been 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced for 3 weeks. Scheduled to be induced Sunday morning b/c my bp is going up and baby is big.
  • Loading the player...
  • So much conflicting info on this topic!  :(   

"Bloody show can be one of the signs that labor is close. This "show" usually means labor will start within 24 hours, but it could still be up to several days away."  (from https://pregnancy.emedtv.com/bloody-show/bloody-show.html)

"How soon after my mucus plug passes will labor begin?Passing a mucus plug is a sign that your cervix is dilating and your body is starting to prepare for birth. Labor could be hours, days, or even weeks away as the cervix gradually opens over time.What does a mucus plug look like?A mucus plug may be clear, slightly pink or blood tinged in color. It may be stringy mucus or sticky discharge. Some women may not even notice the loss of their mucus plug because there is already an increase in vaginal discharge during pregnancy."  (from https://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/mucusplug.html
  • I really hope you're not getting your hopes up for something that may not happen for a few more weeks...
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageceyda79:
    I am 40 weeks and 1 day, lost my MP over 2 weeks ago and still no baby. Everyone's body goes differently. The symptoms that you are experiencing, I've been having for weeks now...I would just relax and let it all play it's course but of course call the Dr if it will make you feel better. FYI I've been 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced for 3 weeks. Scheduled to be induced Sunday morning b/c my bp is going up and baby is big.

Was your plug bright red?  I've read everywhere and know that the mucus plug means nothing in terms of when you are going into labor so I wasn't really worried about that until someone mentioned if it was bright red its considered your "bloody show".  And that bloody show means more than just losing your plug...?  So now I'm just curious since I thought I was a know-it-all on pregnancy!  I didn't have any of this with DS!  :)  Hoping this one stays in at least til my doc gets back from her trip! 

• imageBelhurstBride:
    I really hope you're not getting your hopes up for something that may not happen for a few more weeks...

Not to worry..I'm not.  Just wondering the difference b/c I thought I already knew.  And now I'm not sure.  We aren't quite ready for him to come yet so if he could stay in another week or so at the very least we'll be fine with it.  And yes, I know he could stay in way longer than that. 

• imageBelhurstBride:
    I really hope you're not getting your hopes up for something that may not happen for a few more weeks...

This!  I got all excited weeks ago b/c people were telling me I could be close...well I took it as I'm close and now I'm past due and being induced Sunday. This is my first so I just had no clue what to think of anything. Next time I'll be more calm and just let it all happen as it should. I'm just now relaxing and enjoying and heck if she comes before the scheduled induction, PERFECT!

• imageInLove16:

imageceyda79:
    I am 40 weeks and 1 day, lost my MP over 2 weeks ago and still no baby. Everyone's body goes differently. The symptoms that you are experiencing, I've been having for weeks now...I would just relax and let it all play it's course but of course call the Dr if it will make you feel better. FYI I've been 1 cm dilated and 90% effaced for 3 weeks. Scheduled to be induced Sunday morning b/c my bp is going up and baby is big.

Was your plug bright red?  I've read everywhere and know that the mucus plug means nothing in terms of when you are going into labor so I wasn't really worried about that until someone mentioned if it was bright red its considered your "bloody show".  And that bloody show means more than just losing your plug...?  So now I'm just curious since I thought I was a know-it-all on pregnancy!  I didn't have any of this with DS!  :)  Hoping this one stays in at least til my doc gets back from her trip! 

Absolutely bright red! I bled (period like but obviously not as much) and had a big glob of bloody mucus with it! I got scared and called the Dr and they said it's MP/bloody show. Every pregnancy can be different too. My mom said that all 3 kids were different. She got blood for me and then labor, and her water broke for my other two siblings. All were completely different experiences from start to finish. I would just say remain calm, call your Dr to calm your mind when worried and just go with it.

• Thanks ladies! :) Not worried or expecting anything especially since doc actually witnessed this at the exam today but I DID learn something today! Haha. With my luck I will be 1cm for the next 3 weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"