Breastfeeding

Transition to formula

My baby is 6 weeks and I have started transitioning her to formula this week.  I am using a Gentle Formula and mixing 1/2 breastmilk 1/2 formula one bottle a day (I travel for work so I cannot keep up with breastfeeding her after I return to work in the next 6 weeks).  She has been super fussy this week and I can tell it's because she has a tummy ache; but yesterday she drank her formula bottle at 5pm and was fine and happy until 8 when I breastfeed her.  After breastfeeding she was super fussy and then when she got up at 4am I breastfeed again and it took me an hour 1/2 to get her back to sleep because she was acting like her tummy hurt.  So I'm thinking it is my breastmilk not the formula that is bothering her??  Any advice??  I feel so bad because I don't know what is bothering her... I think I'm crying more than she is!

Re: Transition to formula

• My first thought was that your supply may already be deceasing because once you start adding formula the demand goes down and your body makes less milk.  Then she wouldn't be getting as much milk while BFing which might make her cranky.

However, on re-reading your post, I think you're only giving some formula in her one bottle a day and BFing all the other times.  So at most you've dropped one feeding a day just starting this week.  Doesn't seem like that would be enough to hugely impact your supply yet.

So basically, I have no idea.  Not very helpful - sorry!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards