Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Can they give antibiotics to a 5 month old?

My husband and older son went to the doc and they have been put on antibiotics for thier colds.  I have a cold too and so does my 5 month old son now and I am wondering when we go to see the doc if he can give my little guy antibiotics too or not.  TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can they give antibiotics to a 5 month old?

• Options
    We gave anitbiotics to Samuel for his ear infection. So yes. It was amoxicillin in a pink liquid.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Yes, it will probably be amoxicillin.  DD was on it at 3 weeks old to prevent a UTI.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sure - they can.  My neice is 4 months old and has been on antibiotics twice already - once for an ear infection and once for pneumonia.

However, many doctors are starting to be weary of over-prescribing antibiotics and don't prescribe them as frequently as they used to.

FWIW, antibiotics are only effective for illnesses caused by bacteria and are ineffective for anything caused by a virus.  Chances are that antibiotics wouldn't help your LO much and the cold will just run it's course.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    DD had to have antibiotics in the NICU
  • Options

They can give antibitoics to a 5 month old. Jackson took antibiotics when he was younger than that....

But why would a dr prescribe antibiotics for a a cold? Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. Colds are caused by viruses.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They gave my daughter antibiotics at BIRTH preemptively because they thought she might have an infection in her lungs because she swallowed meconium and amniotic fluid.  So, I hope it's okay!  She seems fine now at 2 1/2 months!
  • Options
    They can, and they probably will if you allow it, but the use of antibiotics in the first year of life has been linked to children developing asthma ln later years. Perhaps find a more natural remedy?
  • Options

Yes, my LO is on one for an ear infection.

But not for a cold. A cold is a virus. If the virus develops into an ear infection, then yes.

They make it really easy to give them, and only twice a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"