Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Is anybody here really afraid to fly?

Because I am. And I hate that. It's starting to interfere with my life and it's getting ridiculous. I don't want it to pass that fear on to my child because I want her to travel and see the world (and hell, I do too!). I should also add that I'm a pretty rational person. I know statistically it's safer and all that. But, I'm still terrified.

I have a big trip coming up next year, and I know pretty soon my boss is going to ask me if I want to go for budgeting purposes. I've thought of every excuse in the book (don't want to be away from my family, too hard, not required for my position, not mandatory, etc, etc.)....but in the end, it's really just because I don't want to fly. It's embarrassing and I don't want him to mistake me not going as being lazy or uninterested in the material that will be presented there. I think he would laugh at me if I told him the truth, since he thinks nothing of flying.

Blah. I don't really know why I'm posting. I don't have a question or anything. I just had to write out how I felt. Thanks for reading. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is anybody here really afraid to fly?

• I am a travel agent and I HATE flying...I do it but I get very anxious.  What is your particular fear?  If it's specific, you may be able to tackle it...I mean, I am no psychologist, but I understand not enjoying flying.  I do it all the time and I still REALLY dislike it. I'm sorry you have this fear and that it is interfering with your life.

Have you talked to someone about it?   

• I am. I have flown a lot but within the past year I have gotten really scared of it. I am afraid something will happen to me and then my DS wont have me. I have a trip coming up in May. 
  • I am too.  It is one of my biggest fears, along with anything related to heights.  I get anxious weeks before I am supposed to go anywhere, and I haven't even flown in 5 years.  It terrifies me and I don't know why, like you, I know it is safer than driving, but I feel like if I get into a wreck on the ground there is more chance of survival than if I were to get into a plane crash. 
  • I  have a somewhat driving phobia. I'm scared of the highway and of crashing and leaving LO. I got into a car accident two years back and then I was driving on the highway a few months ago and the stirring wheel came un latched and freaked me out. I thought it had broken. A combination of those two plus not wanting to leave LO has given me this stupid phobia. I'm trying my hardest not to let it take over but I still get panic attacks driving.
  • C.MoC.Mo member
    image BeeLove:

I am a travel agent and I HATE flying...I do it but I get very anxious.  What is your particular fear?  If it's specific, you may be able to tackle it...I mean, I am no psychologist, but I understand not enjoying flying.  I do it all the time and I still REALLY dislike it. I'm sorry you have this fear and that it is interfering with your life.

Have you talked to someone about it?   

I just fear the crash part. :P I should also add that I've flown quite a few times in my life, but this fear has gotten worse as I've gotten older.... I guess now that I realize I'm not immortal. The last time I flew it was so bad that I slept for a day and half after because I had such an adrenaline rush during the flight. I obviously can't do that on a business trip.

I haven't talked to a professional about this. I don't really know how to approach it honestly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes me...I hate it. However, flying wasn't a big deal to me before my 1st son was born. Now that I have 2 kids, I worry about getting into plane crash and not being there for my kids or worse, that we will all get into a plane crash and they won't have their opportunity to live a full life, it's ridiculous I know but can't help it. My palms start to sweat and I have the worst panic look on my face when there is any kind of turbulence.