3rd Trimester
Options

Prednisone or other oral steroid while pregnant

I posted yesterday about a terrible case of poison ivy that wont go away.. I was curious to see if anyone had been prescribed Prednisone or another oral steroid while pregnant. I am nervous to take it because it is a category C, but I'm desperate for some relief.  My doctor said that if nothing that is over the counter is helping it, then it is ok to take.

Just curious to see if any of your doctors have also prescribed it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prednisone or other oral steroid while pregnant

• Options
    I haven't taken it while pregnant, but I did take predisone when not pregnant... and it has so many gnarly side effects... honestly, I wouldn't It messes with your sleep, and your appetite, it made me totally depressed. I hated it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Options

I had an upper respiratory infection with major asmtha issues two weeks ago and my general dr prescribed it, but said to check with my ob.  When I did, they said no category C, but there are some category B you can take.

Call and ask about alternatives.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've seen other bumpies post that have taken this while pregnant. I take a category C drug daily (an antidepressant) because the benefits of taking it clearly outweigh the risks. You need your OB (or another MD) to help you clearly weigh the risks and benefits of taking prednisone in this case.
  • Options
    My Dr prescribed it for me for Bell's Palsy that started around week 37. I hated taking it because it made me super hot and sweaty, hungry all the time and it was impossible to sleep. I only had to take it for a week and it honestly did help. My Dr said it was safe for pregnant women and especially since I only took it for a week.
  • Options
    I have to take prednisone while pregnant and during delivery in an IV because of a medical issue I have. I was told when pregnant with DD and this time that it does not cross the placenta. Both my peri and maternal fetal med. doctors have told me that. I took it the entire time I was trying to get pregnant and pregnant with DD and she is nice an healthy. I am sure they would not have me taking it if it was going to harm the baby in anyway. 
  • Options

imagemisscharlotte04:
    My Dr prescribed it for me for Bell's Palsy that started around week 37. I hated taking it because it made me super hot and sweaty, hungry all the time and it was impossible to sleep. I only had to take it for a week and it honestly did help. My Dr said it was safe for pregnant women and especially since I only took it for a week.

My doctor gave me a dose that is for a week only as well. I am so nervous to take it because I feel like the baby is so close to being born, and I just worry that taking it so close to my due date is so risky.

• Options

I had a pinched nerve and a sinus infection that my family doctor felt could be helped by a Medsol 5 day steroid pack.  I asked 2 other doctors (including my OB/GYN) and they all said it was fine.  I had no side effects like others claim, I felt great because my numbness was eased and I could breathe again.

Most catergory C's are ranked that way before they safely move on to category B's.

• Options

I'm lurking from 2nd tri, but I thought I would let you know I have been on 100mg of Prednisone since October.  The side effects suck....not being able to sleep, jitters, CRAZY appetite, but it hasnt affected the baby in any way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"