1st Trimester

Question for late BFP'ers

I am honestly wondering how some women don't know they are preggers until they are 6,7,8 + weeks along.  As soon as I missed AF I grabbed a test and was off to POAS!  Is it just that some cycles are longer than others or is there something else that can affect it?  I am not looking for flames, just wondering how anyone can keep from grabbing an HPT and running for the bathroom.

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

Re: Question for late BFP'ers

• My cycles went from 37 to 29 to 53 to 45 days.  If I wasn't using OPKs, I would never have any idea when to expect AF.
    My Blog: http://krate24.blogspot.com/ Heather Ann, born still on Jan. 26, 2009 at 27w2d. <a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa361/krate24/?action=view
  • Ignorance or denial. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh I ran! I ran 4 times actually, and all came out BFN until 12 days after missing AF. I was going crazy wondering why I felt so icky and missed my period, but still got 4 BFNs. Finally got my BFP though, on Feb. 20th :) (AF was due feb. 8th)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekrate24:
    My cycles went from 37 to 29 to 53 to 45 days.  If I wasn't using OPKs, I would never have any idea when to expect AF.

But, to bring this back to my point (before you think I'm bashing you..I have long cycles too), we are aware of this fact about our bodies.  We know that we have this problem.  I know I account for my somewhat late O when I made my ticker (not that this cycle was very late at all, but still).  I took OP as people who suddenly say "i might be pregnant" , test and then find out they are 8 weeks along. 

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

Not at all. My mother didn't find out until she was 3 months because she was on BC pills and got BFNs up until then. There are lots of reasons people find out late. To assume it's something negative like that is silly.

• I have PCOS so my cycles are constantly changing and sometimes I wont even have one for months. Yesterday I was at my Drs to induce my period because I hadn't had one since December. I also take a pg test every month just to be on the safe side and all of them came out negative. (Target brand sucks!) As a precaution I had to take a pg test and VERY VERY much to my surprise it was BFP!  I could be anywhere from two weeks along to almost three month! And honestly until my Dr said I was pg I didnt feel any symptoms at all.
  • imageFlumby:
    I have PCOS so my cycles are constantly changing and sometimes I wont even have one for months. Yesterday I was at my Drs to induce my period because I hadn't had one since December. I also take a pg test every month just to be on the safe side and all of them came out negative. (Target brand sucks!) As a precaution I had to take a pg test and VERY VERY much to my surprise it was BFP!  I could be anywhere from two weeks along to almost three month! And honestly until my Dr said I was pg I didnt feel any symptoms at all.

Wow - That's so crazy!!  Congratulations!

• Not everyone has normal cycles.  I had a BFP last year when I was nursing...I called my OB and she asked for my LMP and it was about 68 days before I got the + test!  I figured out I was about 5.5 weeks along based on an early u/s.
  • imageMrsJeffers2006:

imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

Not at all. My mother didn't find out until she was 3 months because she was on BC pills and got BFNs up until then. There are lots of reasons people find out late. To assume it's something negative like that is silly.

If she was on bc pills, why did she take pregnancy tests?  (The bfns?) That makes zero sense.  Unless she suspected she was pregnant.  But that would be stupid to suspect pregnancy and still continue to take hormonal pills.  Not to bash your momma, but when I was on bcp, unless I didn't take them religiously, I didn't bother testing.  Seemed a moot point.

It's actually not silly at all because the majority of the people in the world who don't find out until late boil down to ignorance or denial.  

• I didn't chart.  I got what I thought was my period in late January after getting a BFN.   It's possible I was already pregnant by that time since I went off BCP in August and my body was still adjusting.  The bleeding was perfectly in sync with my periods on BCP. 

I tested again last Thursday, after a few days of nausea and sore boobs, which aren't PMS symptoms for me, and got a very strong BFP.   Based on my LMP, was 6w 5d when I took that test.

DH and I have had sex with condoms since my January bleeding, so it's entirely possible I got pregnant even using condoms.  I won't know until my first appointment next week. 

I don't consider myself ignorant or in denial about anything. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I didn't find out until I was 6+ weeks. I have PCOS, so my cycles are SUPER long (I'd been averaging 70-80 days) and not always ovulatory either. So, we weren't TTC or using birth control consistently. I needed a lot of medical help to conceive my first, and we figured we'd need it for #2 as well. Apparently, my ovaries decided to wake up and put an egg out there when I was already 70+ days into my cycle and DH and I were on a weekend getaway w/o DD. I actually though AF was coming because my boobs were sore and I'd had one day with some spotting. But then I started feeling exhausted and smells started bothering me (I could smell the chlorine in our tap water), so I decided to test to prove I WASN'T pregnant. Biggest shock of our life so far.

So, that's how it can happen. Not a dumb question at all. I would never have believed it either, until it happened to me!

• imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

I find this response ignorant.

• I have not had a period since Sept 08, so i tested when I felt "off" which was about 6 weeks. 
    ****DS 6/1/09 **** DD 10/13/10****
  • imageBallSox:
    imageMrsJeffers2006:

imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

If she was on bc pills, why did she take pregnancy tests?  (The bfns?) That makes zero sense.  Unless she suspected she was pregnant.  But that would be stupid to suspect pregnancy and still continue to take hormonal pills.  Not to bash your momma, but when I was on bcp, unless I didn't take them religiously, I didn't bother testing.  Seemed a moot point.

It's actually not silly at all because the majority of the people in the world who don't find out until late boil down to ignorance or denial.  

I was on BC pills. I tested for the same reason my mom did. I missed my period, and so did she. I have super regular cycles, so I figured there had to be a reason I didn't get AF. I got a bunch of BFNs too. Sometimes our bodies do crazy things, but I don't think my mom or I found out late because we were ignorant.

• Thank you, everyone, for replying with your experiences.  You should consider yourselves lucky to be able to dispense with part of the first trimester without even knowing it!!  Congrats to all!

• imagemy*heart*is*his:

imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

Yes

• Indifferent for your use of preggers

Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • imageBallSox:
    imageMrsJeffers2006:

imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

Not necessarily.  My first BFP was later (6 weeks) and I was on BCP.   I took them religiously and did not suspect anything but one day realized something was up.  I POAS and discovered I was pregnant.  When we moved to the RE she said this can and does happen to some people when they have a VERY strong O.

Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • imageMrsJeffers2006:

Oh I ran! I ran 4 times actually, and all came out BFN until 12 days after missing AF. I was going crazy wondering why I felt so icky and missed my period, but still got 4 BFNs. Finally got my BFP though, on Feb. 20th :) (AF was due feb. 8th)

Same for me...except it took 10 days.

• My periods had been irregular since going off BCP in November.  At the end of February I had moderate, period-like bleeding that lasted 2 days.  A week or so later I had slight queasiness and reflux that lasted overnight.  On a whim, I POAS, and low and behold there were two lines.  :)

Had I not done that, I still might not know.  Although, with the breast tenderness I think I would've tested by now.

• imagemy*heart*is*his:

imageBallSox:
    Ignorance or denial. 

I agree.

I tested positive the day I missed my period with my first child.

I am currently 4 days late for my period and I have taken 7 test that have come out negative although I just have this gut feeling and a ton of symptoms that make me think I am pregnant. If you dont have regular periods and you are not trying to get pregnant there are a million reasons why you wouldnt know you were pregnant.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"