Infertility

Not pregnant after clomid

So I am new here and was wondering if anyone has had the same issues as me.  My husband and I have been TTY for a while now with no luck.  Since I barely get AF, my doc put me on my first round of clomid.  After three weeks of waiting, I still don't have a happy face on my OPK.  So round one did not work.

Has anyone else not ovulated during round one, but got lucky during round 2???  I guess I am just looking for some inspiration and to hear that there is hope!  I have to believe that the next round will work!

Re: Not pregnant after clomid

• Are you seeing an RE?

Are you being monitored in Clomid? (As in, going in for u/s and b/w?)

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• No I am not.  My regular gyn gave me the prescription and told me when to check for ovulation.  I've had no bloodwork or monitoring of any sort.
  • Loading the player...
  • Clomid may not work for you, or you may be a late ovulater.  Are you going to an RE?  Like madelyn said, if you are you should be monitored.  How long have you been trying?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetfiglia:
    No I am not.  My regular gyn gave me the prescription and told me when to check for ovulation.  I've had no bloodwork or monitoring of any sort.

You need to go to see an RE and refrain from having intercourse this cycle. Even though you haven't ovulated yet, or at least not on an OPK, you may ovulate soon or you may have already ovulated and you may have multiple follies which could result in HOM. You really need to be monitored on fertility drugs as they can lead to many problems and complications if you aren't (HOM, cysts, thin lining, ect.).

These are serious meds with serious effects and they shouldn't be taken without proper monitoring.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• imagemadelyn07:

imagetfiglia:
    No I am not.  My regular gyn gave me the prescription and told me when to check for ovulation.  I've had no bloodwork or monitoring of any sort.

You need to go to see an RE and refrain from having intercourse this cycle. Even though you haven't ovulated yet, or at least not on an OPK, you may ovulate soon or you may have already ovulated and you may have multiple follies which could result in HOM. You really need to be monitored on fertility drugs as they can lead to many problems and complications if you aren't (HOM, cysts, thin lining, ect.).

These are serious meds with serious effects and they shouldn't be taken without proper monitoring.

This. I'm on my second round of Clomid and I've ovulated each time but I don't get positive OPKs. You really need to insist on being monitored. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto the other ladies -- I would push to see an RE. Do you have a diagnosis? For example, if you are PCOS (a common infertility diagnosis) you may never generate enough hormone to produce a +OPK.  You also may not be taking a high enough dosage to trigger ovulation.

We aren't trying to scare you, but provide advice.  These drugs can help us all be incredibly successful, but also can produce a number of dangerous side effects.  As long as you are closely monitored, these risks can be managed effectively.

Many people (myself included) have poor response on Clomid.  I wouldn't get discouraged yet, but I'd be aggressive in purusing monitoring.

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree with everyone about seeing an RE or at least telling your OB/GYN that you need to be monitored. 

My RE also gave me Ovidrel to help me ovulate and to time everything as well.  Clomid can sometimes do more harm than good, such as myself who has thin lining to begin with and clomid can cause it to be even thinner, plus clomid can cause cysts and multiple follicles as well.  

But with that said, it DOES help some women and can be the drug that does it for them, but it is just really important that you are monitored on it.

good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemadelyn07:

imagetfiglia:

I also agree. Have you done diagnostics--B/W, HSG, etc? Depending on your DX, Clomid might not even work for you. For example, if you have an O disorder and blocked tubes, then you may be wasting your lifetime max of Clomid cycles and jacking your body up for no reason because the sperm can't even get where they need to go.

As someone who just had to cancel a Clomid cycle because of cysts caused from Clomid (probably follicles that started to develop strongly because of the med but weren't the dominant ones), you do not want to mess around with any fertility drugs without proper monitoring--which, as far as I know, usually is BW and 2 or more US.

As for no +OPKs, not all people get them. I apparently have a short LH surge, so I would have to use them 2-3 times per day to maybe catch it. Before meds, charting is how I saw my O. On meds, I don't bother and let the doctor tell me how to time everything based on my monitoring visits.

• My RE actually didn't monitor me at first on clomid other then cd21 b/w, which I found very frustrating. My first cycle of clomid didn't work. My second cycle did, but I took an extended protocol of it. I am now on my 3rd at 100mg again, and I finally had an u/s to check for follicles. If I do respond now, it will be late.

Most REs monitor you fully. The reason why mine doesn't is b/c it's military so they only do what research indicates is critically necessary ($ issues I'm sure, since active duty folks don't pay for these services). They feel that monitoring a clomid cycle with OPKs, and then telling them if you have any problems along the way or experience bad symptoms is enough. It probably is enough, but you will have more peace of mind being fully monitored. I wish I could be!

In the mean time, I personally hate OPKs and have had no luck with them. I found them stressful and unreliable for me. I do, however, love taking my temp each morning and charting that way. Last month, when clomid worked, I saw a classic temp shift which I had never seen before, and then got af 13 days after that shift, so I knew that I O'ed even w/o monitoring. Do you check your BBT? It might help.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Ditto what everyone else said that you really need to get at least basic reproductive testing done for both you and your husband before proceeding with Clomid or any other treatment.  An RE will closely monitor you on Clomid or other meds to see if/how you are responding and how to move forward from there.  I wish you the best!
    TTC with DOR, low morphology, fertilization issues
    IVF#1 Oct 2009 (CCRM) - BFN
    IVF#2 March 2010 - Poor response/cancelled
    DE IVF#1 Aug 2010 - BFN
    DE IVF#2 Dec 2010 - Transferred 1, 2 frozen - BFP!
    TTC#2 FET Jan 2013 - Transferred 1 - BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagest.augbride:

In the mean time, I personally hate OPKs and have had no luck with them. I found them stressful and unreliable for me. I do, however, love taking my temp each morning and charting that way. Last month, when clomid worked, I saw a classic temp shift which I had never seen before, and then got af 13 days after that shift, so I knew that I O'ed even w/o monitoring. Do you check your BBT? It might help.

This. Yes

Dx: PCOS, Anovulatory, Amenorrhea 2006
    TTC: Sept 2008
    IVF#1 Cancelled due to breast biopsy.05/01/20

IVF#1.2- 9/2010 - Cancelled Oversurpressed

IVF#2 Microdose Lupron 10/2010 Beta 11/09=BFN
    IVF#3 2/2011 - 2 blasts(2/25) Beta 03/11 =BFN
    IVF#4 Lupron 01/02 =2 blasts, beta's 1-4 198,234,398,3100!!BFP
    FET 3/2014 2 blasts BETA 3/20=BFP TWINS EDD 11/27 TEAM PINK!!!                   

• Thank you so much.  I have just made an appointment with an RE.  The office was shocked to find out that my doc prescribed this medication without any previous testing.  What bothers me most is that this doctor came highly recommended.  He didn't even plan on any US until after the 4th failed clomid attempt! 

Hopefully the RE will get to the bottom of this and we can start on the appropriate line of treatment.

• imagetfiglia:

Thank you so much.  I have just made an appointment with an RE.  The office was shocked to find out that my doc prescribed this medication without any previous testing.  What bothers me most is that this doctor came highly recommended.  He didn't even plan on any US until after the 4th failed clomid attempt! 

Hopefully the RE will get to the bottom of this and we can start on the appropriate line of treatment.

Good luck!! The women here are amazing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"