Houston Babies
Options

Dr Karolina Adam

So I saw Dr Adam about a week ago for the repeat of my anatomy scan (since this baby is NOT cooperative at all when it comes to ultrasounds) so we could get the rest of the measurements we needed and also check on my subchorionic hematoma which just won't go away.

Since the hematoma is now under the placenta instead of between the baby and my cervix like it was before, I now get to see her again at 26 weeks. I think I like her. She's not warm and fuzzy, but that doesn't bother me -- I'd rather have a straightforward and blunt assessment any day. 

I know I've heard good things, but any input from anyone else who's seen her? 

imageimage

Re: Dr Karolina Adam

• Options
    is she at houston perinatal? i saw dr. kirshon, but we have friends who use dr. adam. they've said the same things about her: she's very dry, cut to the chase and by the book. they really like her, and i think she delivered all three of their kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    After I was released from my RE I was referred to Dr. Adam.  I saw her exclusively and she delivered dd.  She is very to the point and blunt, which I really like.  I don't need the warm and fuzzies, just give it to me straight.  She also has a very dry sense of humor and during my labor had me laughing tons.  She will do an u/s at every appointment!  I saw her every 2-3 weeks and loved getting all of those pics!  If you have any questions you can page me over at SAIF (I am there more often).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Melissa, she's at Houston Perinatal, yes. They almost sent me to Dr Kirshon, then saw my OB had specifically requested Dr Adam. 

I hang out on SAIF a lot, too, so I'm sure I'll see you there, TxJen :)

And yes, I did find her pretty funny. I was pretty amused when she told me 'No riding horses, riding in bumpy cars, jogging...' In other words, telling me to stay on pelvic rest without saying it in so many words. And yeah, I was soooo spoiled on all the u/s with my RE, and the first few visits with my OB, since I was being monitored for the SCH, which started after I graduated.

imageimage

• Options

She was my sister's perinatologist.  I don't know if you remember, but my sister was pregnant with twins when one of the twins kicked a hole in his amniotic sac around 22 weeks.  She had to be on bedrest at the hospital for the remainder of her pregnancy.

She has told me that she wouldn't have wanted to have any other doctor treat her.  She felt the same way as you all have described.  She's straightforward and honest, and that's exactly what she needed in that situation.  My sister had to make some huge decisions on how to proceed since there was a good chance the baby could have some defects because of low amniotic fluid, and it could have affected the other baby as well.  But because of Dr. Adams' care, she gave birth to 2 healthy babies 12 weeks later.

So yeah, we like Dr. Adam.  :)

• Options
    I saw her while I was on hospital bedrest.  I loved her.  She was very matter of fact, but she really knows her stuff.  I think any of the docs in that practice are awesome.  I know that they are a huge part of why DS is here today.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options
    She is not warm and fuzzy nor does she ever look put together.  She wears freaking sandals to the hospital.  But she seems to be a very good, solid MFM.
  • Options

imageI_am_DCA:
    She is not warm and fuzzy nor does she ever look put together.  She wears freaking sandals to the hospital.  But she seems to be a very good, solid MFM.

While I always appreciate your professional input, what does her wardrobe have to do with it?  I would hope that someone wouldn't reject a doctor of her caliber based on her choice of shoes, especially when the life of her fetus is at stake.

• Options
    I know this thread is really old, but for anyone who is looking for info on Dr. Adam, I wanted to post about my recent experience.

I was a patient of her associate, Dr. Kirshon (highly recommend), who went out of town after I delivered my twins at 23w5d because of severe pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure, among other things). They both were in the NICU and the first night Dr. Adam came to see me in the hospital, she said my blood pressure was high because I was being emotional (it was high while I was dead asleep too, so that was complete nonsense). She asked if I cried in the NICU and I said yes, and she said, "Why?" ?!?! She said that since the babies were doing well at that moment, I should have been happy, because they'll do poorly later and I can be upset then. Then she said she thought I had postpartum depression and is it normal for me to "cry at the drop of a hat"? My 23 weekers were fighting for life in the NICU and this is what she says? We lost our first son the next afternoon, and when she came in, she asked whether my continued high blood pressure was because I got emotional over that. Then she asked how the other one was doing, I said he was doing pretty well, and she said, "For now..." Absolutely a horrible person. She may be brilliant, but it's not worth it. Go see Dr. Kirshon. He's also brilliant, but he knows how to interact with human beings.
  • Options
    She was my mothers doctor and delievered me when I was born, I was a premature and apparently difficult since birth but I was delievered healthy and happy. My mom was so excited to hear I was pregnant and was wondering if my doctor was still around she'll be so happy to hear she is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"