Attachment Parenting

Stay awake when LO is awake?

I think we're hitting the 4 month wakefulls (yeah!).  The last few nights, DD just doesn't want to go to sleep.  Last night, I laid with her in bed after giving her a bottle but she just kept talking to herself.  She was perfectly content, just not sleepy.  I was exhausted and had to get up this morning at 5:00 for work and my sleepy brain concluded that since DD was perfectly happy and has in the past been able to fall asleep on her own, I would put her in the sidecarred crib and try to fall asleep.  I have a hard time falling asleep even when exhausted so she actually fell asleep before me.  I'm feeling a little bit guilty about this.  Is it okay to be asleep when she's awake?  She was perfectly happy and she's not mobile yet so can't get out of the sidecarred crib.  I always wake up when I hear her moving around.  

Because I put her in the crib before she was actually asleep, we skipped the swaddle.  If I put her in the Miracle Blanket when she's awake she'll wiggle around and get it too loose to be safe.  So I put her in the sleep sack.  It was our first non-swaddled good night.  She woke up around 3:30 and I just snuggled up next to her for a few minutes and she fell right back to sleep (I love co-sleeping!).  So I think we might be done with the swaddle so no more Burrito Baby.  

Re: Stay awake when LO is awake?

• If she's happy and safe, there is NOTHING wrong with you falling asleep while she's awake.  She would definitely let you know if she needed you!  And it's great for her to practice falling asleep on her own.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yea I have slept while DD was awake next to me.  We have the baby crack machine in our room and I put on the projector for her and she just stared at it for awhile.  I woke up when she started fussing and snuggled with her and she ended up falling asleep. 
  • When my LO was in her crib happily playing or listening to her Wiggles CD, I took little naps.  As long as she was in a safe and secure place, not crawling on the floor, II knew she was fine.  She is 3 years old now, and sits on the bed coloring in her princess book while I take a 15-20 minute nap.  If I sleep any longer than that I wake up to find her cuddled up next to me asleep.  She never gets into things she shouldnt.
  • I often got to sleep before LO. That's because I put her in her cot and she chats to herself while she drifts off to sleep.

I figure if she's content, she doesn't need me to be awake and if she gets upset and needs me then she'll cry.

I also figure there are plenty of times that she wakes before me and hangs out in her cot before waking me.

If baby is safe and content then get that extra sleep while you can. 

Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old