Baby Names

How to pronounce boys name Kalen?

I like the name but have only heard it pronounced Kay-lin and that sounds too feminine to me.  How should I spell it so it rhymes with Allen?

Re: How to pronounce boys name Kalen?

• I would spell that Kallen, but I've never actually heard that name before and it sounds a little odd to me. What about the name Kellen??
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Callan

I don't like K names for boys. 

47 months &
    11 months
  • Loading the player...
  • JDOJDO member
    I know a girl named Callan (Rhymes with Allen), people always mispronounce her name though and call her cay-lin anyway. According to the baby name book I got, Callan is a girls name that means "one who is powerful in battle, or a talkative woman" and there doesn't seem to be a male equivalent listed.
  • A friend of mine had her son last weekend and his name is Callen, which is pronounced like Allen with C.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemj.reilly:

A little boy down the street from me is Callan (Cal-len/Cal-lan).

It is of Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "war-like". A male name in Scotland and Ireland. Scottish Gaelic variant is Cailean. In Irish, it is Callathian which is commonly anglicised to Callan.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went to hs with a guy named Kallin. & My brothers have a friend who spells it Callin.  -- both rhyme with allen.

I also went to school with a girl named Kalen.. she pronounced it Kay-Len.

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Callan or Calan
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I would pronounce this Kay-lin as well.

Adding an extra "l" - Kallen or Callen would rhyme with Allen IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • We already plan on naming our son Caelan. Even though we've had mixed reviews/comments on the name. We plan on pronouncing it Cal-lan. I know he'll have to correct people, but with all the different spellings nowadays, I feel everyone has to correct the spelling/pronunciation of their name. My name is Crystal, I live in Crystal Lake and no one knows how to spell my name!! If you like the name, pronounce/spell it the way you want it to sound/look.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • The FIRST thing I thought of was Kellen too! We have friends who named their little guy that and I LOVED it!!!
  • I would either spell it with a C or with 2 Ls
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"