Breastfeeding
Options

Is Caffeine Okay or Isn't It?

I have avoided caffeine since baby arrived because I read in "Your Pregnancy: Week by Week" to avoid it as it can stay in baby's system for 96 hours.  

While at the hospital for my post-partum stay, I asked lactation consultants, nurses, etc. and always got different answers.  Some said caffeine was fine, others said it wasn't.

I'd really love a cup of coffee but don't want to get baby wired or cause any other adverse issues.

Help? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is Caffeine Okay or Isn't It?

• Options
    I have heard you can have some but not a lot.  I can tell when I drink any Caffeine my LO is wired and fussy, so I dont drink any.  I do eat Chocolate though. 
  • Options

LOL at your siggy pic  =)

Have some and enjoy. If it affects your baby, then you'll know. But my two have been fine with me having 1-2 cups of coffee daily. Heck today I had 3...it's been a long day.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have one cup a day....I couldn't survive w/o it!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemadhatter2003:

Have some and enjoy. If it affects your baby, then you'll know. But my two have been fine with me having 1-2 cups of coffee daily. Heck today I had 3...it's been a long day.

He-he, thanks!

I've been nervous to try because as it is, the most little one sleeps at night is 2 1/2 hours, at a stretch.  I think I'll have a cup today, though, and give it a shot.

Hope your day gets better. :P 

• Options
    I was pretty paranoid about this, so I just phased it in gradually.  At first I'd just take a few sip of DH's coffee, then I had a cup of half regular/half decaf, etc.  DD never acted any different at all, so now I am drinking regular coffee every day.  I stop at 2 cups, but I actually don't want any more than that.  I think having the long break through pregnancy and the first few months post-partum ruined my caffeine tolerance (which is not a bad thing)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pshhh.  It had better be, b/c I could NOT get through a day without it!  I have been drinking about 2 cups/day since my 2nd tri of pg.  Kate does fine and isn't "wired", though every baby is different.  The only way to know is to give it a try!  I would also recommend sooner rather than later b/c big changes to your diet as your baby gets older may only be harder on the baby.  Good luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that baby lets you get your caffeine!
  • Options

imageErinNConnorsMom:
     Good luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that baby lets you get your caffeine!

Me too!! Thanks! :) 

• Options
    imagemadhatter2003:

This. And I've even drank a cup in the evening (without thinking lol) and didn't notice a difference in her being wired, but I've had two cups a day since she was about a week old. lol

• Options

with dd, i could have one cup easy with no issues.  i once forgot and had a second cup later in the day and dd made me pay the price by acting 'cholicy' for the one and only time as a nb around 8 wks old.

i stuck with that 'rule of thumb' till she was a little older.  probably by 6+ months, i did whatever i wanted (but i try to limit my caffine for myself anyways to just a few servings).

• Options

Heck, I love BFing and I'd give it up before I'd stop drinking my diet coke! Ok, not really but still!

I usually have 2 diet cokes. I try to drink them before 1-2 p.m.

• Options

imageErinNConnorsMom:
    Pshhh.  It had better be, b/c I could NOT get through a day without it! 

This! lol :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think every baby is different.  My LO is not affected by caffeine.  I don't have a lot though, a cup of coffee here or there, or a soda.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"