Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

how much $$ for 1st birthday cake?

I am having some serious sticker shock over the cake prices i've been getting quoted.  granted, they are from nicer bakery's, not the grocery store but they are running upwards of $80-$100 for a cake that feeds 30 people.   just a plain sheet cake with a monkey on it.   is that insane to pay that much or is that the norm?
imageimage

Re: how much $$ for 1st birthday cake?

• Options

We got DS's smash cake and a sheet cake from Sam's Club (absofreakinglutely delicious, BTW) and it was only $27.

I couldn't justify that much money ($80 - 100) on birthday cake. 

I like privacy. A lot.
  • Options
    That's a lot for a sheet cake.  Why don't you have wal-mart do it? 

Mine was pricey, but it was a giant cupcake on top of a round.. Did you see?
    ETA: Here it is:

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh heck no I would never pay that much for a cake! I went to Albertsons grocery store and handpicked my filling, frosting, design, etc and I was seriously one of the best cakes I have ever eaten and I got so many compliments on it! They even gave DS a free 12 in round cake for him to smash...all for $40...total deal!
  • Options
    pumpkin, i love that cake!!  thanks ladies. i guess i will start checking the grocery stores.  i don't know if our walmart has a bakery, and we don't have sams clubs around me either. 
    imageimage

• Options

We spent $45 on our cake (from a local bakery) and it came with a free smash cake. it was soooo good.

• Options
    You can get a free smash cake at Harris Teeter if you sign up for their birthday club.  We're getting DD's 2nd b-day cake at Costco.  It's 16.99 and feeds 25-30.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I paid $95 but it was for this - not a basic sheet cake with a monkey picture. The fondant bow was like $30 alone.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    That's way more than I would pay.  Then again I made my own. 
  • Options
    I got my slab cake from the grocery store for free with ID for a first birthday.  It was very tasty too!
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    I paid $100, but it was a 3 tier round with a 3D Under the Sea theme. It was beautiful, stunning, and delicious...worth every cent :)
    Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • Options
    We paid $30 for a big cake to feed about 30 people and a small cake for DS.  It had a backyardigans theme on it as well.  I wouldn't pay $80-$100 for a cake, that's absurd. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We paid $65 for this cake and it fed 35 people, I guess that is a lot but it was delicious and so pretty and we will order from her again next year :)

imageKian & Carys image
  • Options

I made cupcakes for everyone versus buying a giant cake for him to smash.  It was much less expensive (and less of a mess to clean up for him, too).

• Options

$7ish.

Two boxes of cake mix and a can of frosting. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My wedding cake was $200 so there is no way in heII I'd spend that much on a birthday cake.

Joseph's first birthday cake was $40 with a free smash cake. His second was $20.

• Options

we spent $80 with delivery for ds 1st birthday cake. it fed 60 people.

• Options
    We had a very large layer cake that was $80. It was from a very good bakery and it was beautifully decorated so I considered it a bargain. For his 2nd, I'm thinking about Costco... cheap and delish!
  • Options
    We got ours from Wegmans and it was $30 and awesome -- had DS's picture on it and everything. :-)
  • Options

I paid $120 for this...

and it fed 35 people. (top layer was E's smash cake)

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We got our cake from Sam's.....  Half sheet with her picture on it was about $25 and her little cake was like $5.
  • Options
    It was just us and my parents, and we were out of town. I bought a little white cake at whole foods for about $7, T daintily played with the icing and then we sliced it up so we could all have a piece (including T). 
  • Options
    Yes, bakeries are going to charge more than grocery stores.  I would never order a plain sheet cake from a bakery - IMO, that's grocery store territory.
    "If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Options
    We paid $20 with a free smash cake from the grocery store.  I think we paid $35 for DD's baptism cake (half sheet) from an actual bakery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"