3rd Trimester
Options

Ladies with Low Fundal Height Measurements

I had my 34 week appointment today and my Dr. measured me to be only 31 weeks.  I have measure on track at every appointment thus far.  At my 32 week appointment I measured 32 weeks, but it was another practitioner who measured me.  This is the first time I was seeing this doctor as my OB left the practice when I was 31 weeks.  My new doctor said it could just be that each doctor measures differently so that can contribute to the difference.  She also said that the babies head was very low and that if she had dropped since my last appointment that might also contribute to the difference in measurements.  Just to be safe she ordered a growth ultrasound to check the baby, but it is not scheduled until another two weeks.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so how long did you have to wait for the growth ultrasound?  Did everything turn our ok?  I am pretty nervous :O( 

Re: Ladies with Low Fundal Height Measurements

• Options

I hate that they even measure Fundal height. It's a ridiculous comparison. I measured at least 4 weeks behind with DS from 30 weeks on and was ordered a growth u/s every other week because of it. He was born a healthy 8 pounds at 40 weeks.

I am already measuring 4 weeks behind with this one. It is just the way I carry. I have other issues which require u/s so I haven't needed a growth one, but again baby is normal size.

I am sure you are worried, but most likely everything is fine! Good luck. Oh and luckily my ob has an u/s machine in the office so I got them the same day. I did not have to wait.

• Options

I've been consistently meas smaller but was told as long as i'm within 3 its ok (ie if i'm 33 wks and meas 30 = ok, but 33 wks and meas 29 = bad) I'm also carrying low so they said that can be some of it too. We had a u/s at 28 wks (due to switching obs) and LOs growth was right on even though I was  meas small.

Sorry that was long. I would try not to worry to much, if baby moved down it makes sense.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

From what I've read that specific measurement is very unreliable and many offices don't even do them. The only time they're remotely useful is if you see several physicians within a practice to track that you have in fact grown.

I wouldn't worry too much.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

With both my PG's I always measured about 5 weeks behind the norm.  So at 40 weeks I measured 35, 36 weeks I measured 31.  It is weird because I don't look particularly small when PG, I just measure small.  The growth u/s's are notroiously WRONG.  With my first they told me he would be at least 9lbs, with my second they said she was tiny and if she made it to full term she would weigh about 5 lbs.  Both babies were born on time (due date for one and 40 weeks 2 days for the other) and both weighed exactly 7lbs 6 oz.  So, anyways, I would not worry a wink about measuring small.  It's probably either that a different DR measured or jsut how you carry.

• Options
    The last time I was at the OB, they measured me to be 31 weeks...I was 33 weeks along. I had a growth scan already scheduled right after, which indicated I was right where I should be...33weeks1day. Baby measured at exactly 4lbs2oz., in the 52nd percentile...perfectly average! The doctor said fundal height is almost discouraged in the 3rd trimester because it can be so much less accurate. Try not to stress too much over it, cause I know I was until she put my mind at easeSmile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"