Babies: 0 - 3 Months

This is bullsh*t

Anyone seen this chart thing for awake times?

-45 minute naps mean theyre overtired, lessen awake time by 5-15 minutes.

-20 minute naps mean they're undertired, increase awake time by 5-15 minutes.

Guideline for Awake time for babies
Newborn 50-60 mins
1 month 60 mins-hour and 15
2 months 1 hour and 15 - 20 mins
3 months 1 hour and 20 - 30 mins
4 months 1 hour and 45 - 2 hours
5 months 2 hours - 2.25 hours
Late 5 months/early 6 months 2.25-2.5 hours
6.5 - 7 months 2.75-3 hours. Some are getting more.
8 - 10 months 3 - 4 hours. Some are getting more.
11 - 12 months 3.5 -4.5 hours. Some are getting more if moved early to 1 nap 

This is complete crap. Seriously. my baby has easily stayed up for 2-4hrs since he was born. If it's any less than 2hrs, I'm shocked. Life would be a lot easier if it was like this, but reality is, your baby will sleep when they're good and ready, not a minute sooner.

Even after 3hrs awake, my son's naps are often no more than 20 minutes. All babies are different. These charts are lame.

Re: This is bullsh*t

• Riley is awake for 5-6 hours at a time.  Even when she was first born she didn't sleep as much as I thought newborns were supposed to sleep.  I can do anything I want, it doesn't mean she's actually going to go to sleep.  Yeah when she's over tired she's miserable, but it is usually about 4 hours after she wakes up that she actually hits her over tired point.  I tried to follow this ONCE to see if maybe it would help her sleep at night.  A. If she doesn't want to sleep, she won't!!!!  and B.  Once she's asleep she's like waking a teenager, doesn't happen.  I even tried washing her face with a luke warm cloth so that I could feed her after she'd slept for 5 hours (that day she ended up sleeping almost 8).  It did nothing.  She'd open her eyes in shock then close them again.

I figure if she's eating right and sleeping enough that she's not miserable, we're good.  I've thrown out every baby advice I've read because she breaks ALL the rules.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All babies are different. My LO sleeps all the time. And he is a happy baby.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's supposed to be a general rule for healthy sleep habits. All of my kids have been right around those numbers.But they are just basic guidelines, not every child will fit in exactly.

Remember...sleep begets sleep. The better they sleep, the better they sleep. There is a ton of truth to it. 

• My kid will totally stay up for hours on end, if I let him. If I let him just fall asleep whenever he wants he takes 20-30 minute naps and is a cranky mess all day.

However if I get him ready and put him down for nap around 1.5 hours after he wakes up, he goes to sleep with minimal fuss and will take 1.5-3hr naps. My life was hell until I figured this out a few weeks ago.

I don't think they are crap. They are a general guide, not every baby is going to fit into them. 

• Yeah, Lucy is generally awake for at least 2-3 hours at a time, though she gives us good 2-3 hour naps as well.

Considering the time also includes eating, changing and putting the baby to bed, these babies really would have no interactive alert time.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is pretty accurate for DD so far. The NICU nurses wanted us to make sure that she slept as much between feedings to store enough strength to eat her next bottle. The only time she spends more time awake is when her reflux acts up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"