Austin Babies

xp from nest: organization, bills, paperwork

how to you organize things in your house? 

I'm specifically wondering about things like insurance paperwork, loan repayment, 401k info, tax info, ect (ie: stuff we need to keep for a long time, but won't need frequent referencing).

DH tends to toss really important stuff onto a pile of junk on our bar, and I'm a "throw awayer" so this is becoming very dangerous to our important paperwork.  We need a quick, simple solution and I've got nothing.

Filing cabnit seems very overboard... but we need something that can grow with us.

Anything in particular that's worked great for you?  Anything you can share about your 'system'?  I'm all ears...

Re: xp from nest: organization, bills, paperwork

• We have the same problem (just reverse the roles).  Although we do have a filing cabinet, i'm thinking we need a "transitional system."  I think I'm going to get us one of those accordion folders that we keep in a handy place...so when we get something important, we can just toss it in its section...for example, medical, or property management statements. They don't take up too much room, don't require us walking upstairs to the filing cabinet, and would keep things transitionally organized.
    Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We use a filing cabinet. It was the ONLY thing that would work for us. Otherwise I leave everything in a pile and he leaves things all over or puts them in the trash.

I made a file for almost everything and it really works.  I know it does seem overboard but when I need to refer back to something I know exactly where to find it.

• Loading the player...
  • We have a file box kinda like this.  I keep it in our closet.  I have files for my car, DH car, Tax paperwork, pets, receipts including warranties, old leases and a misc.  I might be forgetting one or two.  We also have a small firesafe for the more important stuff - birth certificates, SS cards, bonds.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageali-1411:

We have a file box kinda like this.  I keep it in our closet.  I have files for my car, DH car, Tax paperwork, pets, receipts including warranties, old leases and a misc.  I might be forgetting one or two.  We also have a small firesafe for the more important stuff - birth certificates, SS cards, bonds.

This is want we have 

• We don't have room for a filing cabinet anywhere easy, so I use magazine files (those cardboard box thingies that you use to store magazines) in a bookcase.  I get the cheapies from Staples and cover them with pretty wrapping paper, then store them with the tall side facing out so it doesn't look like a box of loose papers.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageali-1411:

We have a file box kinda like this.  I keep it in our closet.  I have files for my car, DH car, Tax paperwork, pets, receipts including warranties, old leases and a misc.  I might be forgetting one or two.  We also have a small firesafe for the more important stuff - birth certificates, SS cards, bonds.

I have four of these I keep in a closet. Between the time when I receive the bill/whatever, I keep a pile on my desk. When I have time, I file the paperwork. It works. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageali-1411:

ah ha!!!! THIS is perfect... and may keep me from killing him.  Wink Thanks!!

• imageRuby44:
    imageali-1411:

I have four of these I keep in a closet. Between the time when I receive the bill/whatever, I keep a pile on my desk. When I have time, I file the paperwork. It works. 

This is exactly what we do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"