Breastfeeding

How many ozs can you pump at one time?

My LO is 4 weeks old, and we had to supplement with formula when he was 12 days old because he lost a whole pound of his weight. We were told to give him 1 to 2 ozs after every feeding. It worked great, he gained 9oz is 3 days! But now, he's nursing from both sides for 15-20 minutes, and drinking at least 3, if not 4 oz of formula every feeding! I'm trying to pump so that he's getting more breast milk than formula, but I'm having a hard time getting anything out!

I've pumped a few times, but I've never even gotten 1/4 of an ounce! And that's both sides! I feel like he must not be getting anything while nursing even if he does it for 20 minutes. He always fusses until he has a bottle. How much did any of you get the first few times you've pumped? Am I just not making any milk, or is it normal not to get pretty much anything out the first couple of times?

I'm using a Medela manual pump, and it kinda hurts like hell to use it.

Re: How many ozs can you pump at one time?

• i can pump about 4 oz. in a pumping session (15-20 min.), but i'm using an electric pump that does both sides at once.  my LO is 2 mo.  i don't know if that makes a difference.

my milk supply is a little on the low side for my baby.  i've been using fenugreek, blessed thistle, and goat's rue to up production.  have you talked to your doc/midwife about herbs/meds that could help with supply?  i was also pumping about 15 minutes after each feeding to increase supply too.  

• let me add that I can get 4 oz. if the LO hasn't eaten in 4 hours!
  • Loading the player...
  • First time I used the medela manual pump I got 3oz off one side. Now I use an electric and can get 4 oz in about 7 mins. I tend to think I produce more than needed/normal though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i've just started pumping after feeing and only get about 1 and a half ounces between both breasts in 15 minutes.  Don't know if that is normal or not, but so far that is me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't judge your supply by how much you get via pump, particularly a manual pump -- your baby is far more efficient than any machine at getting milk.

If your goal is for him to have more breast milk, let him nurse for as long as he wants to. All the sucking will stimulate milk production and lead to more milk for him. The supplementing may be hurting you there, because any time he's not nursing for his meals, your body doesn't realize it needs to be making that much more milk.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 6 total. 4 from one side and 2 from the other.

But I have been doing this for several months now. ;)

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• me too.  6 total. 4 from one side and 2 from the other & thats still after i dropped a pumping session.

it takes time in the beginning i was getting less than an oz at a time from each breast.  i seriously wanted to quit.  i never thought there would be enough at that rate. but i stuck with it.  i started pumping twice a day once in the morning after a feeding and then at night before i went to sleep.  then after a couple weeks added a "nooner" while LO was napping and next thing i knew i was pumping 10oz at a time.  i put what i had in the freezer at the end of the day and i think i have a week of back up milk.  it doesn't sound like a lot but it is enough for my peace of mind.  i have been rotating one frozen for one fresh now that i am back to work and pumping more regularly.  when we started daycare the bags of milk i was pulling out of the freezer had 1or 2 oz in them and now i am up to the 3 oz. bags and soon to be the 4 oz. bags. 

my DH had severe allergies to a lot of foods as a child and so whenever i want to just skip pumping I tell myself how important it is to for her to build immunities and keep her healthy.  i know i cannot prevent ALL allergies but i figure a few minutes now will hopefully save me hours in the kitchen later...

I didn't know patience before breastfeeding and pumping but I think I finally get it :)

• I pump for 15-20 minutes, both sides at once, and get 8-10 ounces.  But I have had an oversupply since the day my milk came in, 3 days after delivery.  So I don't think my case is necessarily normal.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• same here with 6oz. total.  4 oz. from one side and 2 on the other.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I pump twice while at work (7 hour day of teaching) and get 9 oz for each session.  After Zion eats, I can get about 3 or 4 oz.  I have lots of milk and am constantly pumping or feeding him.  I am glad that I no longer hurt when my breasts get full. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"