3rd Trimester

Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

Re: Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

• Many people don't use theirs but we still use ours. Once she started rolling around she would hit her head against the sides which I was concerned about. She was/is very good about turning her head away from them when she was asleep.
  • I am not going to use them.  I also heard this from my sister in law who took a baby course.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNeverKnew:

We decided not to not only because of the SIDS risk but also because in many cases you have to take off the bumper to change a crib sheet.  That would drive me bug nuts.

This was a big reason we forewent the cute bedding sets altogether and just got basic crib sheet separates and a cute bed skirt sold separately.

Oh, and we have a breathable bumper sitting in the closet, ready for when LO actually starts to roll over.

This exactly too. Yeah they are cute and sweet and adorable but nothing is worth the risk of SIDS. I just ordered the breathable bumper this morning and I will use it when he gets bigger. And what a waste of money on the bedding sets... You really can't use anything.

• imageNeverKnew:

We decided not to not only because of the SIDS risk but also because in many cases you have to take off the bumper to change a crib sheet.  That would drive me bug nuts.

This was a big reason we forewent the cute bedding sets altogether and just got basic crib sheet separates and a cute bed skirt sold separately.

Oh, and we have a breathable bumper sitting in the closet, ready for when LO actually starts to roll over.

This exactly too. Yeah they are cute and sweet and adorable but nothing is worth the risk of SIDS. I just ordered the breathable bumper this morning and I will use it when he gets bigger. And what a waste of money on the bedding sets... You really can't use anything.

• I used a bumper the entire time with my son and plan on using one again with this baby.  Like the nurse said there is no proof of what causes SIDS.  My suggestion to you if you are worried is to purchase a sleep positioner. They are sold at Babies r Us and are those wedge-like items.  You place them in the middle of the crib, not only do they keep your baby in place they also keep the baby's head slightly elevated. This gave me peace of mind because my son spit up constantly and with the elevated end towards his head, its the bodies natural instinct to swallow.  We loved the sleep positioner!!! I used it in my son's bassinet too and it made the transition from bassinet to crib pretty easy. 

The purpose of bumpers are really a little later down the line when your little one starts moving around the crib. Its to protect their head and limbs from getting caught between the spokes of the crib.  This happened to my son one night that I had the bumpers off being cleaned.  He woke up crying and I went to check on him immediately and his little leg was outside the crib and then he tried to roll... ouch!!! I put the bumper back on immediately. 

Good luck with your decision...

• We plan on having one, but not sure if we will use it or not.  We are also putting a mesh bumper on our registry.
  • imagegypsywitch:
    Me. I used them with #1 too and she's still alive, never discovered her with her face pressed into the bumpers in the morning...you ARE allowed to use bumpers, its a personal decision. I also covered DD up with a light blanket when she was a baby....agian never found her entangeld or suffocating.

This.

• I work in child protective services in Canada and we actually tell clients that they can not use them due to the danger. I obviously will not be using them either. There is a lot of research out there about safe sleeping environments for babies, and bumper pads are shown to significantly reduce airflow and can therefore lead to SIDS.
  • We are not using bumpers.  I thought the bedding sets were expensive, and my mother in law made us a baby quilt, curtains, and bedskirt, so I just bought fitted sheets and mattress covers.  I was going to use a sleep sack or receiving blankets the first few months b/c the quilt is so heavy.

• we are using them, and i am glad! after a month or so baby has been moving around a lot in his crib and i caught him sleeping up against the crib bumper so if it wasn't there, its possible he would have bumped his little head up against the wooden crib when he arched up there. 
  • To the above poster: You're worried LO's head would be against the slats, but not that his face would be up against the bumper? I would be glad I didn't find him suffocated!

We took a picture w/ the bumpers but we are not using them. Not worth it, imo.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, not worth the risk.
  • I have a round crib so I couldn't use the breathable bumpers, so I went to the fabric store, but some soft mesh breathable material some pink binding and had a custom "breathable" bumper made for my crib. The regular bumprs aren't worth the risk in my opinion, but you still need to protect the baby from getting their extremeties caught or stuck in the crib slats.
  • I used them for both of my other children and will also use them for this one until he can pull himself up and use them as a step stool. 

I did get a crib this time without a dropside front!

Canon 60D: Canon 50mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4
  • No way on a cloth bumper. No way! We will be using a breathable bumper. DS had his leg stuck in the crib when he was little and woke up screaming. It caused a large bruise.
  • Didn't buy one...not planning on buying one.
  • Nope, looks great to decorate but I want to look over and see what he's doing. Safety is primary.
  • Crib bumpers, along with blankets and any other items inside the crib are not recommended.  Please practice Safe Sleep practices!  The Halo Sleep Sacks are well worth your investment for keeping baby warm at night. 

• i plan on using a bumper. I had one with my first child and the one time i took it out of crib he got his leg stuck between bars and almost broke it.
  • Our daughter has one in her crib although she slept in our bed/ bassinet for the first 6 months. Once she was able move herself around we knew she would be ok. Now she is 15 months and loves to snuggle up to her bumper at night. WE have it set up on three of the side with the front open. It looks cute and now that she is older it doesnt pose any risks to her. Go with what YOU feel most comfortable with.
  • I used a bumper for my son... but we used a "Breathable Baby Bumper" from BabiesRUs. It's thin and worked just fine. He liked to snuggle up against stuff so I was worried, but he had no problems breathing through the mesh. If I didn't use anything he'd probably break off his leg or something because he likes to sleep all crazy and his legs get trapped in the crib rails. Soooo scary to hear pained screams in the middle of the night! I don't see anything wrong with using them as long as you use the "breathable" ones. And with all the colors they come in I'm sure you could find one suitable for your crib set.
  • i am using a breathable bumper its kind of a mesh material so they can't suffocate.
  • imagegypsywitch:
    Me. I used them with #1 too and she's still alive, never discovered her with her face pressed into the bumpers in the morning...you ARE allowed to use bumpers, its a personal decision. I also covered DD up with a light blanket when she was a baby....agian never found her entangeld or suffocating.

This is such terrible logic. Our parents all survived infancy with lead paint cribs, stomach sleeping, and no carseats, but that doesn't mean it was safe. If you're going to go against current recommendations (particularly with blankets), yes, that's your personal choice, but that doesn't mean it's a safe one. 

• Not yet b/c she isn't in there much and she doesn't move around. I was watching my friends little girl on her video monitor and if she didn't have a bumper that little girl would have some major bumps on her head. Before she falls asleep she rolls around and falls backwards and if that bumper wasn't there she would hit her head hard on the crib. I will put mine back in when I feel liek it is necessary.
  • Baby girl will sleep in her bassinet in our bedroom until we're ready to have her make the transition. DH & I know we'll constantly check on her to make sure she's OK. We will use the bumper that came with our crib set along with a sleep positioner and keep the ceiling fan on low (she's a summer baby so it'll be OK). My parents co-slept with us in the middle of their bed and since sleep positioners or Snuggle Nests didn't exist back then, my mom would roll large towels to make a three-sided barrier. Needless to say we're all fine. Smile
  • We used one with Madeleine. In fact it is still in her toddler bed right now.  She was (and is not) a roller/mover at night. If we had noticed she was rolling around a lot we probably would have taken it out.
  • I did not use them with my first and won't be using them with this one either. I've known two babies that have died from SIDS and there's no way I'd risk it with my own baby.
  • We didn't for our girls until they were one, and even then I found them mashed up against the bumpers on more than one occaison and took them off after less than a month - it's better to be safe than sorry.  

We aren't going to for this LO when he's born this summer either.  Mommy's desire for a picture perfect nursery is FAR outweighed by the desire for a healthy baby!!  

• Most bumpers on the market today are breathable, I think the baby care classes are spreading outdated info - mine said the same thing, but I've seen a lot of other info that says that breathable bumpers are OK.

Anyway, we got breathable bumpers, and I plan to use them until LO can roll over. He's going to be sleeping in a co-sleeper at night next to our bed, so it will only be naps in the crib for the first couple months.

Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • NO!!!! TOO DANGEROUS!!!! The only reason they are still being sold in stores is because they make money off of them and people think they are cute. CUTE KILLS!!  Think about it, is your baby really going to smack itself against the crib hard enough to do damage? NO. How many times will he/she get her feet caught between the slats? Maybe once or twice ever!  NOT WORTH IT!!!!

I hung my bumper on the wall, it looks cute there :)

• I did and still do. My son is 11 months old and has always had a bumper on the crib. He was in a sleep positioner until he could roll around. I took the bumper off but then put it back on because my son kept smacking his head on the sides of the crib, and he got his chubby little knee stuck between the slats.

• We always had the bumper in there but we didn't put DD in her room until she was 4 or 5 months.  At that point she could roll every which way and even slept on her belly.  She did just fine and her bumper stayed until she decided to pee on it and rip a hole in it. lol
    Brooke 10.15.08 & Molly 6.15.10

Photobucket

• no bumpers for us. cute fitted sheet and a cute bed skirt and that's all they need/get
  • My daughter is 19 months old now and we have used the crib bumpers all along. She spent the 1st 3 months primarily in her bassinett and when she was in her crib we had her in the baby wedge so she would not roll. Once she was rolling and in her crib, if she was near the bumper, I slid her back to the center of her crib or I made sure he nose was not pressed againist the bumper. With my little one, the bumper was needed as she is WIGGLY and many, many nights she had wiggled up her bed with her head againist the bumper verses her head pressed against the wooden slats of her crib.
  • I use one. And, he has been in his crib from the first day we got home from the hospital with the bumper. 
    10 MONTHS APART AND LOVIN IT! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • We are using a bumper.  I used one with my first child and have no plans to do it differently.  We do have a sleep positioner in the crib.
  • One suggestion that we received from a nurse friend was to have the bumpers split at the corners and tie them on to the crib so the whole set looks great together but then once LO is sleeping in the crib simply flip the two longest pieces out of the crib...on ours this leave a minimum of 7 inches bumper free between the mattress and the bottom of the bumper and is really simple to flip back in when baby is not in the crib. It took my mom about 15 minutes to split the pieces and surge the ends (to avoid fraying).
  • We bought the breathable ones.  Wasn't worth the risk with the regular type.
  • Im using 1 just b/c it comes in the set but im going 2 use a baby positioner 2 keep baby in place.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"