3rd Trimester

Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

Re: Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

• imageSweetSpikette:
    we got a breathable bumper.

Us too.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • we used a bumper for DS, and will use one for this LO
  • Loading the player...
  • We are using a breathable bumper. We decided to piece together a bedding set instead of purchasing a complete set.
  • We got a breathable bumper.   My friend with 2 kids recommended,  And you can get them in different colors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageBananaSD:

Can someone clarify b/c I a little confused...are they a SIDS risk b/c LO can somehow get between them and the crib slats?  Or are they a SIDS risk b/c they block the airflow in the crib?  I also heard putting an oscilating fan in the room helps with the airflow issue...anyone else here this, or will do this?

Thanks!

They are a SIDS risk due to the suffocation risks that you mentioned - also the airflow restriction is a concern. A fan is supposed to help so we installed a ceiling fan in LO's room. We do have a bumper in the set that we bought (only because we got it at TJMAXX for $30) - but only plan on having it in the crib until LO starts sleeping in it. He will be in a cradle in our room for the first couple of months - once he is in his crib every night - the bumper will come out. Not worth the risk IMO either.

Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • How are you just now learning about this?

I'm not using bumpers or those "breathable" bumpers either. There is no point to them besides for decoration and they pose too many risks.

• We used the bumper with DS and we'll use it again with this LO.

imageimage
    Zachary Ryan - 1/13/08 - 6lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches
    Lilia Rose - 5/11/10 - 8lbs 6oz, 21 inches
    imageimage
  • We are using a breathable bumper.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are using one. My & DH's kids have all used one.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• imagekdiaisfly:

How are you just now learning about this?

I'm not using bumpers or those "breathable" bumpers either. There is no point to them besides for decoration and they pose too many risks.

Do you feel that the risk posed by getting limbs caught in crib slats is negligible?
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • we're using them and i just put them on.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't even buy them!  We didn't buy a crib set period because #1.  I wasn't going to use the bumpers and #2. I wasn't going to use the quilt so it seemed a waste of money. 
  • yes we are - but the baby will be in our room in a bassinet until 5-6 months and only then will be transfered to the crib.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm using a breathable bumper. I don't see the cuteness being worth the risk. I'd never be able to forgive myself if something happend, and want to know I did everything I could to prevent it.
  • We'll be using the Bumper, but tucking it in about halfway down the mattress.

IMO, the bumper doesn't raise the risk for SIDS, but Suffocation. SIDS is unexplained death... death from blankets is suffocation.

• No bumpers here.  I don't see why you would attach a "pillow" all they way around your crib.  Especially when it appears to be mostly for appearance, since the cribs know have slat size regulations.  I just think it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Nope,not using a bumper.  We are using a pnp/co sleeper first.
  • imagePurpleK26:

We'll be using the Bumper, but tucking it in about halfway down the mattress.

IMO, the bumper doesn't raise the risk for SIDS, but Suffocation. SIDS is unexplained death... death from blankets is suffocation.

Yes, SIDS is inexplaned. But that doesn't change the fact that statistically SIDS increases when bumpers are used. They do not think bumpers are the cause of SIDS, but their use is positively correlated with SIDS.

• We heard this in our Baby 101 class as well.  Our teacher even went so far as to essentially say that bumpers will kill your child and you are a horrible irresponsible parent if you leave them in the crib.  Then I got to thinking and decided to do my own research on this. Everything I researched all pointed back to ONE STUDY on bumper pads.  From 1985-2005, they tracked all babies who died in their cribs in the US. Of the millions of babies born in the US during those 20 years, 27 died because of crib bumpers. Less than 1 percent...

So then I thought some more about this... All of our parents used them, all of our friends with children used them and we all survived.  In my research, I found that most of the respected medical articles emphasize not using big fluffy bumper pads.

The bottom line is that you need to do your own research using respected medical journals and websites and use your own common sense.

We are using our bumper pads. We made sure that the ties are outside the crib and that the pad is not too fluffy.

• I don't plan on using one for a while. After he's 9mos-a year I might put it back on for safety reasons and I will definitely put it on when we convert the crib to a toddler bed.
  • I*ll be using mine! used them with DS#1 just fine! I used a wedge to keep him in and he never moved.  ithink we all get a little crazy some times. Plastic vs glass bottles, bumpers no bumpers, hell our parents stuck us in lead painted cribs...and MOST of us turned out just fine! lol
  • We didn't have them in in the beginning, however DD wasn't moving around in the crib at all (being swaddled) so we probably could have put them in. But once she turned 4 months we took them in and took them out again at 7 months when she really started moving around in the crib. I think people get a little too worried about these things. We found DD slept better if we put a little blanket on how lower half too, it kept her from kicking out her swaddle. 

Granted things can happen, but I think we are really overly careful in some cases where we don't always need to be. But I'm only speaking for myself.  I'm sure if DD died b/c of something I neglected I would have a different opinion about this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are. There is NO proof that bumpers or any one thing causes SIDS. DH and I both think that they are way safer than not having them and having LO's arm or leg fall out of the crib and get stuck or something. Once they are pulling up we will remove them. I am making mine so that they fit the crib perfectly. Also LO will be in a Mosses basket in our room for the first months. 
    Photobucket
  • We'll be using ours... we did w/ DD - she slept with me for the first 2 months, in the PNP bassinet next to me for another month, then moved to her crib. When she started rolling at 4-5 months she decided that snuggling up right against the bumper (we could see it on our video monitor), so we bought a breathable and put that in for several months. Once she was about 10 months we put the regular bumper back in and she's had it in since. Every time we tried to go with out she'd get something stuck in the slats and fuh-reeaaak out. So we'll probably do the same program w/ this guy...
  • imagekdiaisfly:

How are you just now learning about this?

I had never heard of the bumper "controversy" until I came to the bump, and none of my friends/family knew about it either. I don't think it's so shocking that people are "just now learning about this".

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imagecolorguardgirl:
    We are. There is NO proof that bumpers or any one thing causes SIDS. DH and I both think that they are way safer than not having them and having LO's arm or leg fall out of the crib and get stuck or something. Once they are pulling up we will remove them. I am making mine so that they fit the crib perfectly. Also LO will be in a Mosses basket in our room for the first months. 

This.  The only danger I've heard about having the bumper in the crib (when the baby can't roll around to even risk suffocating) is that it can cause CO2 to pool up.  Which is eliminated when you use a fan, which I would use anyway for general air circulation.
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • No, we are not going to use bumpers until our baby is old enough to pull his head away from them if he were to get trapped underneath.  I am assuming this might be around 9 months old, but this is my first baby so I'm not of the exact age where they would be safe.

I am also not using a positioner for this reason.

• We're not planning to use a bumper.  This seems to be one of the few areas where extra safety is *saving* us money.  I'm not gonna question it!
  • We did with DD#1 and will again.
  • We always used the bumper when they were newborns (for looks only at this age) once they just started rolling we took it out.  Then once they got really mobile and started losing pacifiers between the slats and freaking out at night, we put it back in.  Getting up 14 times a night just to find a pacifier in the dark is no fun.  Throw about 5 pacifiers in there with the bumper, problem solved. 

We are getting a breathable this time and will probably just leave it in.

• No. We are not using one for the SIDS risk.  It's not worth it and those sets are expensive on top of that.
  • We are they came with the set and hes a very still sleeper so well put him in the center of the crib when he moves out of his basinette
  • imageali_bl-nov05:

We are not. They are cute but not worth the risk (not to mention how pricy it is to buy the whole set)

Exactly the way I feel. I did not buy it and don't regret it now that baby is 2 momths old.

• We already have our bumper up and plan on using it after the first month or so when she comes home. We plan on using the bassenett right away.

I read an article the other day, and researchers are now saying that they think SIDS is an issue with the brain. For example if the baby stops breathing the brain does not react like it should to them themselves to breath or roll over. They did tests on the brains of babies that had passed away from SIDS and babies from normal (not sure what constitutes as a normal death for a baby) causes. The babies that passed away from SIDS had a low brain activity or did not have brain activity in an area that they should.

• We're using ours. And when it's cold we're using the heavy blanket that came with our set.
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • We're using one but will probably remove it once the baby starts moving around in his/her sleep. Or we'll buy a breathing fabric bumper,
  • we are. we paid 200 for the set...so ya deff using them.
  • I have done quite a bit of research and found that there have been studies done on the bodies of babies who died from SIDS having high levels of the chemicals emitted from the polyurethane and other products used to make most crib bedding and mattresses. Although the research is not conclusive it is enough for us to opt for an organic mattress as well as the bedding.

To answer your question, we are using bumpers to protect the baby from getting his head stuck between the small gap between mattress and crib once he starts rolling over etc. They recommend that you remove the bumpers when the baby can stand, as they can use it as leverage to get out of the crib.

Hope this helps.Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"