3rd Trimester

If your doctor said a C-Section was necessary...

I don't know if any of you remember or not, but I had a low lying placenta. My OB wants to check one more time to see if it's moved, if it hasn't, then I have to have a c-section. He said at an earlier appointment that I was in the clear, but now he says he wants to check...so, naturally, I'm freaking out.

Anyway, my question: would you want to wait as long as possible to schedule your c-section in order to keep LO cooking for as long as possible, even if it meant risking going into labor naturally? Or let your doc pick a date, even if it meant you were only 37 or 38 weeks?

Re: If your doctor said a C-Section was necessary...

  • I was induced for medical reasons at 37 weeks...so grateful i went early b/c I was so all set being pregnant. By that late in the pregnancy everything should be fine and if your doctor feels it's medically necessary to do it at that time I'd do it...unless you feel he's just over cautious then perhaps get a second opinion if you are concerned about it.
  • I am in your boat exactly. My placenta is low and I am having it checked again at 36 wks, if it hasn't moved then I will be scheduling a C-section. My Dr. told me that we will wait until 39 wks and I am comfortable with that. I would certainly voice your concerns for going even a few wks early, I did at my 24 wk appt/US and she helped ease my mind but discussing the process when the placenta placement prevents natural birth. Naturally, they must keep you safe by not having you go into labor but according my dr. they push first time mom's as long as they feel they can.

     GL to you though! I hope your's moves! 

    TTC #2 since 5.2011 | BFP-3.2009--C/P | BFP 6.2009-sticky baby|BFP 2.1.2012-stick baby stick!

    BFP Chart

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image

    image
















  • I would wait if you could.  I actually just read an article (I'll have to find where) about how the endorphins and hormones released when you go into to labor are good for the baby if they are delivered via c-section.  So as long as your okay with having a c-section as soon as it happens, I would wait and if you go into labor, that's an added bonus for the baby, but a little more work for you. 
    image
    The Big Sky Country Welcomes Us Home!
  • image MTbridess:
    I would wait if you could.  I actually just read an article (I'll have to find where) about how the endorphins and hormones released when you go into to labor are good for the baby if they are delivered via c-section.  So as long as your okay with having a c-section as soon as it happens, I would wait and if you go into labor, that's an added bonus for the baby, but a little more work for you. 

     

    If the placenta is low you cannot go into labor in most cases anyway. 

    TTC #2 since 5.2011 | BFP-3.2009--C/P | BFP 6.2009-sticky baby|BFP 2.1.2012-stick baby stick!

    BFP Chart

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image

    image
















  • A c-section may be necessary for me (still being debated).  If it turns out that one is necessary, it will be scheduled at 37 weeks. 

    If I need a c-section, it will be because my ulcerative colitis makes it dangerous for me to be in labor (possibility of bleeding out) so they will schedule it early to avoid the possibility of going into labor naturally.

    If early labor won't be dangerous, I'd say to schedule it later so LO has time to cook.

    image
  • Ask your doc this (partly because I want to know, too): if you schedule c/s closer to your due date, for cooking purposes, will it harm you or the baby if you went into labor before then (knowing that then you would still have a c-section, just that is would technically be an emergency c-section?)  Most women have time to get to the hospital and have a c-section even if they go into labor, I think.  Especially if you are close to the hospital -- your doc would call ahead for you anyway, and they'd prep a c-section room for you, knowing you were on your way in.
  • I'm having a repeat c/s and chose (with my OB's guidance) to have it sooner to lessen the chances of me going into labor sooner.  It's during week 38 and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In your shoes, I would schedule as late as possible.  Of course there is the risk of going into labor and bleeding- but even at 37 weeks, there is a pretty decent risk of the baby's needing NICU admission (which entails a lot of things you'd rather not put your newborn through).  No choice is risk free- but it's up to you to figure out which ones you would rather accept.  Exactly how dangerous is it to go into labor and have your Cesarean then?  I'm glad you are being throughful in your decision making.  Many doctors don't fully explain the risks of Cesarean or early birth, which makes it sound like a risk-free option!  and it sounds like yours is being pretty cautious.  GL!
  • My OB said most insurance companies wont allow them to do it before 39 weeks unless it is medically necessary to do it earlier.

    So mine is scheduled for 39w exactly.

     

     

  • It has been my experience they will do a c-section at 39 weeks.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm due Feb 15th and scheduled the C-Section for Feb 10th, so it's in the 39th week.
    Bianca image.
  • image app1e3:

    image MTbridess:
    I would wait if you could.  I actually just read an article (I'll have to find where) about how the endorphins and hormones released when you go into to labor are good for the baby if they are delivered via c-section.  So as long as your okay with having a c-section as soon as it happens, I would wait and if you go into labor, that's an added bonus for the baby, but a little more work for you. 

     

    If the placenta is low you cannot go into labor in most cases anyway. 

    I think both of you ladies make valid points. My OB wants my placenta to be 4 cm away. 2 u/s ago it measured at 3 cm (I didn't get a number at my last u/s). I think it'll depend exactly how far away it is. But I wil talk to him Thursday.

    I think I'm going to try and go as long as possible just because it's good for Lily....but here's hoping that it's moved!

  • I am having my c-section at 37 weeks 5 days...Basically 38 weeks..I am comfortable with that
  • This is my first pregnancy. Recently found out our baby is frank breech and they wouldn't schedule a c-section until 39 weeks to be sure she was as mature as possible. So we're scheduled for next Thursday, when I'll be 39w1d.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would want to be 39 weeks. There has been a lot of recent research done on "late term preemies" born between 36-38 weeks and many have breathing issues, etc. I would definitely want to avoid any NICU time, especially because dates are never 100% accurate. What you think is a 37 weeker could very easily be a 36 weeker.

     

    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would do it as soon as it was safe for LO so I think 37 or 38 weeks is fine. You don't want to risk going into labor if it means the baby can be at risk.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

    image
    image
    image

    TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

    TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

  • My c/s is scheduled for 39 weeks as well. My ob said it was generally a good idea to wait for 39 unless thereareother medical reasons to do it sooner.
  • I am not in the same situation, but talk of a C-section was brought up due to how large my LO could get.  I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this up, and all the best to you!  Even if you have to have a C-section, at least your LO will be healthy!!
    If being a math nerd is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
  • Normally my doc does scheduled C-sections at 39 weeks.

    Because of the issues we're having my OB and my perinatal don't want me to go into labor.

    He still hasn't grown in two months and they're worried about what could go wrong in the labor process.

    We're checking bi-weekly and doing another growth scan on Monday before we officially schedule my C-section.

    They don't want to freak and go early at 37 weeks only to have NICU issues but they don't want to wait too long either.

    As of yesterday their goal is now 38 weeks.

    Keeping her in as long as possible is a good idea but also follow your doctor's advice. Most doctors don't WANT to take a baby too early and then have to send mom home alone.

    I hate the uncertainty of waiting. At this point my doctor only has one day when she's on call at the NICU hospital in week 38.

    So if we have to go early or I go into labor on my own and have to rush in and have a C with whoever, I'm scared of what could go wrong getting too many doctors involved. 

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image MTbridess:
    I would wait if you could.  I actually just read an article (I'll have to find where) about how the endorphins and hormones released when you go into to labor are good for the baby if they are delivered via c-section.  So as long as your okay with having a c-section as soon as it happens, I would wait and if you go into labor, that's an added bonus for the baby, but a little more work for you. 

    i would wait as long as possible if you can, but i will say that having a c section after going into labor is not as easy as a scheduled one. and i mean that from studies, not from our perspective as people.  Studies have shown that a scheduled c section is less prone to complication than a c section that is rushed or emergency from the perspective that your body is a calmer state.  I don't know if I am saying it right so my apologies if I am being unclear. 

  • image eileenm21:

    image MTbridess:
    I would wait if you could.  I actually just read an article (I'll have to find where) about how the endorphins and hormones released when you go into to labor are good for the baby if they are delivered via c-section.  So as long as your okay with having a c-section as soon as it happens, I would wait and if you go into labor, that's an added bonus for the baby, but a little more work for you. 

    i would wait as long as possible if you can, but i will say that having a c section after going into labor is not as easy as a scheduled one. and i mean that from studies, not from our perspective as people.  Studies have shown that a scheduled c section is less prone to complication than a c section that is rushed or emergency from the perspective that your body is a calmer state.  I don't know if I am saying it right so my apologies if I am being unclear. 

    That makes perfect sense. I feel reassured knowing that most doctors try and wait until 38 or 39 weeks. I don't have a history of early labor (I was induced with DS at 39w5d because I asked to be, not because I needed to be) so I'm personally not concerned about that. I'll ask my doctor for his opinion on Thursday and I'll fill you ladies in (because it seems that a few of you wanted to know)

    Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards