Pregnant after a Loss

Is "smoked salmon" on sushi cooked enought to eat it?

DH and I are going to get some sushi tonight, woo hoo!!!

Question: Is smoked salmon cooked enough to eat it?? Or is it still raw?

Thanks!

Re: Is "smoked salmon" on sushi cooked enought to eat it?

• From all that I've read, smoked meats are out unless they are cooked in something like a dip or casserole. Generally, the smoked fish in sushi isn't cooked, but used in it's original form.

It kills me. My mom made my favorite appetizer at Thanksgiving not knowing I coudln't eat it: a triscuit topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon, dill, and a caper. Crying

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• It's fully cooked. No worries
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageashley0616:

From all that I've read, smoked meats are out unless they are cooked in something like a dip or casserole. Generally, the smoked fish in sushi isn't cooked, but used in it's original form.

It kills me. My mom made my favorite appetizer at Thanksgiving not knowing I coudln't eat it: a triscuit topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon, dill, and a caper. Crying

smoked fish isn't raw fish, cured fish is raw. That's what I've always been told.
  • Depends if it's cold smoked (like lox) or hot smoked.  I ordered sushi with 'smoked salmon' and turns out it was raw, cold smoked  (I ate a few pieces anyway).  They told me to order it well done next time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hot smoked salmon is fully cooked to 145 degrees whereas cold smoked salmon is smoked at 80 degrees and is actually cured but still raw. I believe the curing process prevents bacteria and other nasty stuff from spoiling the smoked salmon. 

• Scratch that I'm wrong. It's the other way around. Cured is cooked through sugar & salt smoked is still technically raw bc it's only cooked to 80 degrees. I'd still eat it though....
  • My OB said no to smoked meats.
  • The type of smoked salmon they use for sushi is actually cold smoked salmon, not hot smoked salmon which would be a better option for pregnancy IMHO. Since it's cold smoked, it's only real cooking is in the cure that is put on before the smoking process. It's not to say that it's 100% not safe, but you may have the same concerns as you would with lunch meat which would be listeria and just the fact that the meat hasn't technically been brought to a temperature over 170F which is needed to kill listeria and botulism. Not to scare you though! I am a Chef so I have taken all the sanitation and safety courses so maybe I am just a little too overly cautious! Sometimes a lot of info breeds paranoia! Stick out tongue I could be totally wrong about it's safety for pregnancy but if you don't want to take the chance, just get all the veggie rolls, that's what I plan on doing. Mmm....sushi...
  • From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/pregnancy_gateway/infections-Listeria.html

?         Do not eat refrigerated smoked seafood unless it is an ingredient in a cooked dish such as a casserole. Examples of refrigerated smoked seafood include salmon, trout, whitefish, cod, tuna, and mackerel which are most often labeled as "nova-style," "lox," "kippered," "smoked," or "jerky." This fish is found in the refrigerated section or sold at deli counters of grocery stores and delicatessens.

o    It is safe to eat canned fish such as salmon and tuna or shelf-stable smoked seafood.

• There is so many opinions on eating sushi. Honestly, if you are going to worry about it, then don't eat it. Whatever you are comfortable with doing, then do. I had some spicey tuna rolls in the beginning (which are raw). Didn't realize it til later. Oh well. Can't worry about what has been done. Personally I would indulge in a few if it is a respectable and upper class place.
  • Hmm, it sounds like you shouldn't eat it from what people are saying, but I have had it on several occasions in sushi and I've been fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"