Postpartum Depression

How is your PPD affecting your relationship with SO?

I know DH is supportive of me seeking treatment.  He is proud of me for realizing the problem and getting the help I need.  But I still let my PPD bring out a rage in me sometimes that causes me to lash out at DH.  PPD hurts the whole family.  We fight more now than before because I am losing my temper so much more quickly.  This leads me to feel so much guilt.

It doesn't help that DH has always had a bit of a short temper, himself.  I think he is also having difficulty adjusting to our situation.

Anyone else feel like this?  Or is your relationship with SO completely different?  Anyone try couple's counseling?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How is your PPD affecting your relationship with SO?

• I think counseling would be a good idea for you too but not because of marital problems. It just sounds like you need help expressing your anger and communicating at this time in your life. Just try to be patient, take deep breathes or a time out for 2 mins and reflect on the situation before letting out your "rage". Hope you feel better soon hun.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's been rough. The past few days things have been so much better and then this morning we were arguing and I started swearing at him. I hate feeling like this. I need to go work out because that seems to help with the  rage.
  • Loading the player...
  • DH & I definitely fight more now. Not a lot, just more than before. I don't know how much of that is PPD-related and how much is maybe parenting related though.
  • *deep breath*

We fought so hard this past weekend the big D word came up :(  Thats not cool. 

• You're lucky that he's supportive of your treatment.  My DH always gives the side eye to anything depression related.  In his book, counseling is out of the question. 

Regarding the anger issues - YES!  Being depressed makes me so short tempered that I want to lash out.  Sometimes I find myself being argumentative with DH just for the sake of being difficult.  It definitely makes things different.  So, if your DH is open to counseling, go for it!  We tried a little bit (3 sessions) of couples counseling before we got married and it helped.  I can only imagine how much better it would have been if we'd continued.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"