2nd Trimester

Anyones Family not like the baby name?

I'm sticking with the name no matter who doesn't like it, but it kindda sucks that there are some that don't. My Dad and my Brother don't like the name we have picked out for a girl. Aside from my Husband they are the two most important people to me so it sucks that they aren't the biggest fans of the name.

They don't HATE it, but they don't like it either. I don't think my SIL is the biggest fan either, but I don't like any of her 4 kids names so we're even. Everyone else says they like it. It does kindda make me wonder if they are just being nice thought. Any one else have a Family memer or close Friend not like they baby name?  Did you say anything about it?

The name we have picked out by the way is Zoey Gabrielle.

Re: Anyones Family not like the baby name?

• DH and I got so sick of hearing "Ohhhh...." that we stopped sharing our name ideas.

I like your name pick BTW

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • I love the name you picked out. If someone said something to me about it I'd come back with a snarky response, but that's how I am. lol
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I love the name Zoey. My Dad doesn't like my name choice but I'm sure it will grow on him once she is here. I'm sure your dad and bro will warm to the name once Zoey is here.
  • We're not giving anyone a chance to comment - we're not planning on sharing any of our name ideas or the final name choice until after she arrives.
  • Thank you guys! I was starting to wonder if it really did suck... I like names that you don't hear all the time. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that my name was a little overly popular when I was born.
  • This is the exact reason why we are not sharing this time. With DS we shared names, but didn't know if it was a boy or girl....and it was a family name, so most loved it. FWIW...LOVE your name choice!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not many people in either of our families liked the name we gave our dd (Audrey)... Nobody except my mom and grandma likes what we picked out for this one (Justin). Oh, well... We like the names - everyone else got to name their kids.

I think you picked a really pretty name!

• My parents have warmed up to our baby's name, but my grandfather made fun of it when we told him. The name is Oliver, so it's not totally off the wall or anything.
    She's crafty - and she's just my type.
  • I love the name, FWIW!

We're sort of in the same boat. For YEARS, we've also said we'll name our first son Hank. We love it. No, not Henry, just Hank. My parents are of the traditional name school, and believe we'd be ruining the poor kid by giving him a nickname name. My brother literally had a hernia over it. And my brother's best friend (who is our family friend) has a little boy named Henry, who they occasionally call Hank. The entire thing is so annoying. We love it, but we don't want to pick a name that we know our family feels this way about. To me, Henry and Hank aren't the same name AT ALL.

And of course, if we told my parents we were naming him Jack (and not John), they'd probably love it.

So yes I know how you feel :) Everyone tells us to do what we want. I wish we'd never said a word about it (we've stopped sharing ever since).

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother dislikes most of the boy names we have thrown out there, and my grandmother HATES the name Stella, which is one of our top names for a girl. To be honest, if my husband and I love it, I don't care about much else.

Good luck and for the record, I think the name you have chosen is beautiful !

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 6/28/12 EDD 03/07/13 MC 4w5d 07/03/12 new baby
    BabyName Ticker
    BFP 07/30/12 EDD 04/09/13
  • My brother named his little one Miko - we all thought it was a little strange - but, after less than a day - it just suits him and we love it - it's adorable and we love him :)

Even my conservative dad thinks it's adorable (now)! 

I LOVE the name Zoey - but, it's my mother-in-law's name, so I can't use it...

• I think Zoey Gabrielle is an adorable name. My brother gives me a hard time about my name choice but we're always like that with one another, it's just the type of relationship we have, but everyone else we've told so far hasn't said anything negative.
  • image JellymanKelly:
    My parents have warmed up to our baby's name, but my grandfather made fun of it when we told him. The name is Oliver, so it's not totally off the wall or anything.

Yeah my Dad and Brother are trying to warm up to it, but I'm not sure how well that's working out for them. I don't know why people can't just shut up sometimes! I don't think either of our name are off the wall for people to not like them, but I guess you can't please everybody.

• I long time ago I mentioned that I loved a certain girls name- my mom's respose?  "It's ugly."  That's when I decided to NOT share our names!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • My family loves the Name. Dh's family doesn't. Its not there baby! We love the name we've picked and we're sticking w/ it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yeah my husband told his parents the girl name we picked out and I decided to tell mine because I felt I should. All of them seem to like it but I told my husband that I didn't want to tell people until later because people can be so rude!

And I think that's a beautiful name =)

• image LaurelBee:
    I long time ago I mentioned that I loved a certain girls name- my mom's respose?  "It's ugly."  That's when I decided to NOT share our names!

When I was little I LOVED the movie My Girl and of course that goes without saying that I LOVED the name Vada. My family made fun of me for years about that one. I guess I should have learned form that to keep my mouth shut.

• OMG. If you get me started on this i will not stop ranting. Being that I come from a Greek background, my poor husband, whos not greek, has to deal with the whole BS of u have to be traditional and name the first boy after the grandfather and the first girl after the grandmother. I gave that a big FU! lol. My parents almost never like the names we pick. We really only gave my son my fathers name as his middle name to basically shut him up. BUt no more. Ultimately, it is the parents of the baby who have to decide what name they like. And I am stickin to it dammit. lol
  • We don't know if anyone dislikes our names.. because we don't care if they don't like it. And we didn't ask.
  • image maryfay314:
    OMG. If you get me started on this i will not stop ranting. Being that I come from a Greek background, my poor husband, whos not greek, has to deal with the whole BS of u have to be traditional and name the first boy after the grandfather and the first girl after the grandmother. I gave that a big FU! lol. My parents almost never like the names we pick. We really only gave my son my fathers name as his middle name to basically shut him up. BUt no more. Ultimately, it is the parents of the baby who have to decide what name they like. And I am stickin to it dammit. lol

I was gonna go with my MIL's first name as her first name and my Mothers middle name as her midlle name, but damn did that raise hell! So I will not be nameing after Family mamebers. I just wanted to honor both of them, but I guess not. I can only imagine what you're dealing with!

• It's a beautiful name.  They will learn to love it once they meet her if not before.  
  • image alabaster_angel:
    We don't know if anyone dislikes our names.. because we don't care if they don't like it. And we didn't ask.

I so didn't ask. They just kindda let it be known in their own little way.

• image auslyn804:
    It's a beautiful name.  They will learn to love it once they meet her if not before.  

Thanks, and I must say those pictures are SO cute!

• I used to care...but now...not so much. lol. The bottom line is the parents to be are the only ones that really matter in liking the name because...uh duh...its there child. LMAO! But god forbid family members shut their mouth for once.

• DH and I had the name Autumn picked out since we were dating and my family has always made fun of it. They say Autumn Autumn with the big fat bottom. We don't care much what they say cause she is our kid. No that we know that we are most likly having a girl, they have changed their tons.
  • We have decided to name our daughter Egypt Sanaa, and my mom and sister both said, "Well what about (this name) or (that name)?".  To which I responded, "We're naming her this and not changing it".  Shut them both up.  BTW, I really like the name that you chose for your DD. 

• We are not sharing names with anyone (other than my friends who are also pg right now)  Honestly, I am not a fan of our boy name, but it is so important for my husband b/c it is a family name.  I love the shortened version of the name, so that is why I am okay with it.

I know my family well, and they will not like it either!  So I just won't tell them.

• My MIL HATES our name choice - Holden David

But like others have said she had her chance to name her two boys... now it's my turn.

• We're of the not caring what anyone thinks of our baby names mindset. However we don't want to hear people gripe about it for the remainder of my pregnancy, so we're just not naming baby until he's born.
  • DH and I have the same problem. We really like the name Clela but most people do not like it because it is so unique. We haven't decided 100% that will be her name but it is definitely in the running.

DH has been pretty closed minded about names until tonight and he told me that he likes the name Ella too.

Brad & Laci Est: 2007 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers