Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Can you make the salt dough ahead of time?

I wanted to make the dough tonight, and then print them tomorrow after ds wakes up.  Will it last in a baggie?

Re: Can you make the salt dough ahead of time?

• Options
    I would think this would be okay. I made the dough and used it right away but then I had leftover dough I stuck in the fridge overnight. I used it the next day for more ornaments and I think those turned out better.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The recipe I found says you can store in an airtight container:

Remember to store your salt dough in a plastic bag or airtight container when not in use. And here's a neat idea: add a drop of vanilla extract to your homemade play dough recipe...not only will it give the dough a nice smell, but it also helps keep mold away!

Basic Salt Dough Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of fine salt
    • 1 cup of flour
    • 1/2 cup of water (may add more)

Instructions:

• In a large bowl, combine the salt and the flour
    • Make a well in the salt/flour mixture and add the water
    • Knead until smooth and shape into a ball
    • When not in use, wrap in plastic or store in an airtight container

HINT: To get a softer dough you can add more flour. Adding more salt will lend a more granulous affect. Use wallpaper glue and the dough with be more cohesive. To add color to your dough, use different types of flour or add food coloring or paint. Knead to get an even color. You may also paint your ornaments and sculptures after they dry.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you!  We are doing it a bit late, but I thought it would be a fun Christmas Eve tradition to do every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"