2nd Trimester

I'm sick and it won't go away

I've been sick for over a week and I feel like I'm getting worse every day. I went to my internist last week who told me it was just a cold but on Sunday morning (at like 3:30am) I woke up and couldn't breathe well and was wheezing and coughing like crazy. My husband ended up driving me to the emergency room because we were afraid it might be pneumonia. They told me it wasn't and they gave me a flu test but it came back negative and basically told me to go home and take Afrin for my sinus congestion and Robitussin for my cough (but both very sparingly) and just wait for the virus to pass.But every day I wake up feeling worse than the day before. It sucks and I don't know what to do. I tried the Neti Pot last week and it worked temporarily (for like an hour or two at a time), but I think it gradually made things worse.  The doctors don't seem to want to prescribe anything to help me and I'm getting really worried because I'm not getting any better.  Anyone have any words of advice they can share?   
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm sick and it won't go away

• I have had a stuffy head for a week and it makes me crazy.  I use a netty pot but I wish I could take something for it!!  On my dr.'s list there is nothing for a stuffy head!  GL to you!
  • Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't turn in to a sinus infection. if it does you'll want to visit your doctor for that. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemac1178:
    I've been sick for over a week and I feel like I'm getting worse every day. I went to my internist last week who told me it was just a cold but on Sunday morning (at like 3:30am) I woke up and couldn't breathe well and was wheezing and coughing like crazy. My husband ended up driving me to the emergency room because we were afraid it might be pneumonia. They told me it wasn't and they gave me a flu test but it came back negative and basically told me to go home and take Afrin for my sinus congestion and Robitussin for my cough (but both very sparingly) and just wait for the virus to pass. But every day I wake up feeling worse than the day before. It sucks and I don't know what to do.  I tried the Neti Pot last week and it worked temporarily (for like an hour or two at a time), but I think it gradually made things worse.   The doctors don't seem to want to prescribe anything to help me and I'm getting really worried because I'm not getting any better.   Anyone have any words of advice they can share?   

I'm not sure about your problem exactly. But I had/have the same symptoms. I told my doctor at my last visist that I'd been sick for about 2 weeks and she said that there's been a bad virus going around that while it wasn't bad for the baby made everyone "feel like crap". Basically she told me to suck it up and deal with it. I've had it since the first week of November and it finally seems to be going away but it got alot worse before it got better(I ended up sleeping in a chair because it was horrible laying down. All I did was keep up with my prenatals and drink alot of juice and water. Try some hot tea with lemon and honey because my throat was killing me about two weeks in. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• Ohhh :-( You sound like I felt last week. DH was dressed and ready to drive me to the ER but I wouldn't go (I have a weird fear of the ER..). It felt just like pneumonia... chest pain was so bad.

My docs were also very hesitant to prescribe any kind of prescription cough medicine or congestion med. I finally found one who gave me an antibiotic (Z-pak) for respiratory infection, and this is what finally cleared it up for me. Could you ask for this? It is safe during pregnancy and easy to take. I am sure there are also other antibiotics that could be used. I just know that the Robitussin did NOTHING for me, and I couldn't take the nasal spray because I am allergic. Ask for an anti

I hope this helps, and that you feel better. So sorry you're not able to get rid of it... it's the worst!

• You can take sudafed over the counter as well- I actually didn't notice I had a sinus infection and it is now an upper respitory infection.  I have already done amoxicillin and didn't help so they have me on erythromycin and a cough medicine with codeine (because I wasn't sleeping) but before it got this bad the Dr. told me sudafed would help with the congestion, you can also take mucinex to help break it up and cough it out and then robittusin which did jack for me.  I am at home from work today cause of it- and it has been 3 weeks.  I know that isn't extremely helpful!!!
    image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"