2nd Trimester

**jacquelinethorne** Explain yourself!

I may have gotteen your name wrong...

I replied in the post, but was late and am really interested in your answer, so...

What does being on state assistance have to do with wearing your pj's out in public?  and with smoking while pregnant?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: **jacquelinethorne** Explain yourself!

• I must have missed this post.  I'm going back to search now!
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ha Ha!  Sometimes people just word things wrong!  I know plenty of ppl on state assistance that don't wear PJ's in public or smoke during pregnancy. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I too am extremely interested to hear her no doubt incredibly offensive reasoning.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • I think she's too scared to reply. Maybe her foot is already in her mouth. lol

(((Love me some yoga pants or leggings w/ my uggs (especially for class) but I usually try to look nice for doc. apts.))) -- thought I'd post my opinion on the topic, even if it's not on the right post :)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey! I have an 'observation'. You can't escape snobs and racists, even at midnight on a message board. Just an observation.
  • I didn't mean that it always does, but I've noticed that on days when everyone is in pj's the check-in list is mostly state assisted ladies. I've known plenty of ladies who need state assistance that are very well put together and I don't hold their need for a little help against them, especially in our current economy. In the area I live in, state assistance and pj's in public just go together. I get that some may choose to dress that way and others may not have the means for other clothes to accomodate their growing bodies. And I wasn't linking state assisted ladies and smoking. Just observing that lots of women continue smoking during pregnancy and smell like it at the OB's office.

Also, I grew up in a poor home, have been on state assistance, and my dad worked 3 jobs to keep a roof over our heads. I've gone without, walked to the grocery store when there was enough money for groceries, slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of an apartment because we couldn't afford beds and accepted the generosity of others. DH and I started our marriage in a position where we could have accepted assistance as well. My response was in no way intended to offend anyone. I am not a racist or anything like others have posted. I was just stating what I have personally observed at the practice I go to. Again, I apologize if any offense was taken at that observation.

• imagedaniellejeanne35:

I think she's too scared to reply. Maybe her foot is already in her mouth. lol

(((Love me some yoga pants or leggings w/ my uggs (especially for class) but I usually try to look nice for doc. apts.))) -- thought I'd post my opinion on the topic, even if it's not on the right post :)

Yep, I was shaking in my uggs, terrified that I might get flamed on a public message board. I love my yoga pants and uggs too, and have no problem with dressing down sometimes. However, I do not go to the doctor, or anywhere else in my pj's and slippers. I already replied to OP, just wanted to let you know that maybe, just maybe, I haven't spent my entire evening on the bump, and just now read this post. I don't avoid. I said something, and someone wanted an explanation. Done. I should have specified that I wasn't being judgmental in the first place, but that I was just observing people around me in the area I live in.

• imagejacquelinethorne:

I didn't mean that it always does, but I've noticed that on days when everyone is in pj's the check-in list is mostly state assisted ladies. I've known plenty of ladies who need state assistance that are very well put together and I don't hold their need for a little help against them, especially in our current economy. Unfortunately in the area I live in, state assistance, pj's in public and unhealthy lifestyle choices just go together.

Also, I grew up in a poor home, have been on state assistance, and my dad worked 3 jobs to keep a roof over hour heads. I've gone without, walked to the grocery store when there was enough money for groceries, slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of an apartment because we couldn't afford beds and accepted the generosity of others. DH and I started our marriage in a position where we could have accepted assistance as well. My response was in no way intended to offend anyone. I am not a racist or anything like others have posted. I was just stating what I have personally observed at the practice I go to. Again, I apologize if any offense was taken at that observation.

Just out of curiosity did you ask each of these rolled out of bed dolls for their medicaid cards or did they list their insurance coverage or lack of coverage (against HIPPA regulations) on the check in sheet?  Guess I just need to understand how you arrived to such an observation unless of course you're able to determine who is on assistance by looks alone? 

• imagelovinfall:
    imagejacquelinethorne:

I didn't mean that it always does, but I've noticed that on days when everyone is in pj's the check-in list is mostly state assisted ladies. I've known plenty of ladies who need state assistance that are very well put together and I don't hold their need for a little help against them, especially in our current economy. Unfortunately in the area I live in, state assistance, pj's in public and unhealthy lifestyle choices just go together.

Also, I grew up in a poor home, have been on state assistance, and my dad worked 3 jobs to keep a roof over hour heads. I've gone without, walked to the grocery store when there was enough money for groceries, slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of an apartment because we couldn't afford beds and accepted the generosity of others. DH and I started our marriage in a position where we could have accepted assistance as well. My response was in no way intended to offend anyone. I am not a racist or anything like others have posted. I was just stating what I have personally observed at the practice I go to. Again, I apologize if any offense was taken at that observation.

Just out of curiosity did you ask each of these rolled out of bed dolls for their medicaid cards or did they list their insurance coverage or lack of coverage (against HIPPA regulations) on the check in sheet?  Guess I just need to understand how you arrived to such an observation unless of course you're able to determine who is on assistance by looks alone? 

Yeah, I walk around and ask everyone for their Medicaid cards, because it matters that much *insert sarcasm here*. As I'm sure you read in my response, I have noticed on the sign-in that a lot of days the ladies arriving before me have listed state med care as their coverage. Those days typically coincide with the ones where most in the waiting room have the rolled out of bed look going on. I'm not judging people for the way they dress, just observing those around me. To each her own. My family lives paycheck to paycheck, so I'm not some well off snob passing judgment. Continue flaming if it pleases you. You can talk about how my OB's office is breaking HIPPA regs with their sign in sheet too, if you'd like, even though I have no control over that.
  • I work at a state office. I see the people who come and get the welfare checks. I have yet to see one who is not in pajamas with the "roll out of bed" look with the hair. I understood what jaqueline stated when she said she sees the people at her OB wearing the pajamas.

Seriously, when you see someone in a doctors office wearing pajamas, you don't jump to conclusions? Because apparently people on the orignal post do, saying how lazy the people are who show up in their pjs. I am not judging the postings because unfortunatly I jump to conclusions too.

• Oh my goodness.. I am so sick of the political correctedness....!!!!!!!! You asked for an explanation, she provided one... THE END
  • imagejacquelinethorne:

I didn't mean that it always does, but I've noticed that on days when everyone is in pj's the check-in list is mostly state assisted ladies. I've known plenty of ladies who need state assistance that are very well put together and I don't hold their need for a little help against them, especially in our current economy. In the area I live in, state assistance and pj's in public just go together. I get that some may choose to dress that way and others may not have the means for other clothes to accomodate their growing bodies. And I wasn't linking state assisted ladies and smoking. Just observing that lots of women continue smoking during pregnancy and smell like it at the OB's office.

Also, I grew up in a poor home, have been on state assistance, and my dad worked 3 jobs to keep a roof over our heads. I've gone without, walked to the grocery store when there was enough money for groceries, slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of an apartment because we couldn't afford beds and accepted the generosity of others. DH and I started our marriage in a position where we could have accepted assistance as well. My response was in no way intended to offend anyone. I am not a racist or anything like others have posted. I was just stating what I have personally observed at the practice I go to. Again, I apologize if any offense was taken at that observation.

I see.  I am not advocating running around in public in your jammies or smoking while pregnant.  I, in fact, do neither.  I just don't get the pj's in public=people on state assistance link.  I have private insurance, but have been on Medicaid in the past and never went anywhere looking like I just rolled out of bed.  I had a job and worked hard, just couldn't make ends meet back then.  Thanks for coming back and explaining what you meant.  Maybe it's more area specific or something, I don't know.  I still find it to be an offensive generalization(sp?).

• Wow, I just started reading through this out of curiosity and ended up seeing alot of mamma-on-mamma drama going on. Pardon my directness but for lack of a better word it's all really stupid. Most of us feel like we should have our cellphones and ipods orbiting our stomachs and we're getting so hostile over someone's opinion? The truth is that alot of people walk around in their pj's when they're pregnant because a decent looking outfit(especially for shorter women, I'm 5'1" and my petite maternity pants drag the floor by three inches, but that's another rant) can cost $50-70. I for one am on medicaid because my first vistit cost over $1000, there is just no way that I can pay that much every month and the military's healthcare plan sucks. I always try to look nice when I go out but sometimes I just don't give a damn how I look to go into Piglet and pick up a gallon of milk. Since my hair is thicker since I got pregnant(and it was pretty thick and frizzy before then) I have trouble keeping it dectent looking(all hail the mighty ponytail). But on the otherhand, who are you to try and change someone's opinion? How many times has that actually worked? Why do we feel the need to say that we want to slap someone just because they don't agree with us? I reitterate from above, it's just stupid.
  • I have no idea where all of the extra t's came from so please just ignore them.
  • seriously OP STFU.  I read the pj post last night and was so annoyed that everyone called people in pjs lazy ect.  Just like jacquelinethorne doesn't know if these people are on state assistance, nobody in that posts knows why these people are in pjs.  MAYBE they were throwing up all night and had to drag themselves out of bed because they had a doctors appointment.  Or maybe they have other kids and they were up sick all night.  Everyone is so judgy and it's disgusting.  Even if these people aren't sick why does anyone care if they were pjs.  Take care of your own business and stop judging others for stupid stuff.  It's one thing if you see a pg lady smoking or drinking, but wearing pjs?  come on!
  • imageTocxica:
    Wow, I just started reading through this out of curiosity and ended up seeing alot of mamma-on-mamma drama going on. Pardon my directness but for lack of a better word it's all really stupid. Most of us feel like we should have our cellphones and ipods orbiting our stomachs and we're getting so hostile over someone's opinion? The truth is that alot of people walk around in their pj's when they're pregnant because a decent looking outfit(especially for shorter women, I'm 5'1" and my petite maternity pants drag the floor by three inches, but that's another rant) can cost $50-70. I for one am on medicaid because my first vistit cost over $1000, there is just no way that I can pay that much every month and the military's healthcare plan sucks. I always try to look nice when I go out but sometimes I just don't give a damn how I look to go into Piglet and pick up a gallon of milk. Since my hair is thicker since I got pregnant(and it was pretty thick and frizzy before then) I have trouble keeping it dectent looking(all hail the mighty ponytail). But on the otherhand, who are you to try and change someone's opinion? How many times has that actually worked? Why do we feel the need to say that we want to slap someone just because they don't agree with us? I reitterate from above, it's just stupid.

It's actually not stupid. You can have an opinion, but just know that when you post it on a public message board where hundreds are women are going to read it, someone may be offended. That's the risk you take.

Are you telling me when you are deeply effected by what someone says you sit there on your hands and say nothing? It would be stupid if no one had explained why they felt the way they did in response to the OP, or any other response in the thread.

I even said it in MY post she was the first person I would want to slap. I've obviously never said that before, but when you say an ignorant comment as she did... I don't feel guilty, or "stupid" for voicing an opinion. I can have one right? Isn't that your point?

• imageemily0829:

It's actually not stupid. You can have an opinion, but just know that when you post it on a public message board where hundreds are women are going to read it, someone may be offended. That's the risk you take.

Are you telling me when you are deeply effected by what someone says you sit there on your hands and say nothing? It would be stupid if no one had explained why they felt the way they did in response to the OP, or any other response in the thread.

I even said it in MY post she was the first person I would want to slap. I've obviously never said that before, but when you say an ignorant comment as she did... I don't feel guilty, or "stupid" for voicing an opinion. I can have one right? Isn't that your point?

I wasn't saying that you couldn't, and, no I don't allow things that offend me to go by as if nothing happened. However, I think that everyone here has done a fairly good job of reprimanding her so far. There's no point in me telling her that her comment offended me because there seem to be quite a few people who've expressed that to her in much harsher terms than I could. I was saying that it's stupid to be so hostile towards her when it's obvious from her responces that she isn't changing her opinion. What she thinks is wrong and hurtful to people. But if I got on here and started laying into her(sounding like my dad now...gonna start saying git-r-done) it would only cement into place her "observation" that women who recieve goverment assistance don't care how they come off to others and(I'm going to take a bit of license here with her words, while she didn't state it directly I can take from past expericences) are uneducated people not willing to work. Am I offended by that? Hell yes! But I'm not going to try and make her feel like she isn't wrong in a very few cases, but I am going to say that it's useless trying to teach a pig a trick, it just makes you exhausted and pisses off the pig.

• Guess what judgmental lady?   I'm getting ready to go out, and I'm totally wearing my sweats.  To say that people who go out looking like they just rolled out of bed are all public assistance is BS.  Some people are just lazy like me.  Its my day off, I've been sick for the past 5 days, but I have to go get some things, so therefore its sweats for this old girl!
  • imageTocxica:
    imageemily0829:

I wasn't saying that you couldn't, and, no I don't allow things that offend me to go by as if nothing happened. However, I think that everyone here has done a fairly good job of reprimanding her so far. There's no point in me telling her that her comment offended me because there seem to be quite a few people who've expressed that to her in much harsher terms than I could. I was saying that it's stupid to be so hostile towards her when it's obvious from her responces that she isn't changing her opinion. What she thinks is wrong and hurtful to people. But if I got on here and started laying into her(sounding like my dad now...gonna start saying git-r-done) it would only cement into place her "observation" that women who recieve goverment assistance don't care how they come off to others and(I'm going to take a bit of license here with her words, while she didn't state it directly I can take from past expericences) are uneducated people not willing to work. Am I offended by that? Hell yes! But I'm not going to try and make her feel like she isn't wrong in a very few cases, but I am going to say that it's useless trying to teach a pig a trick, it just makes you exhausted and pisses off the pig.

Wow, your assumption that I think people on state assistance are too lazy to work is way off base. There are plenty of hard working people who still need help. I worked my butt off and still required healthcare assistance when my first son was born. I was a single mother, working and going to school full time and it was the only healthcare I could provide for my child. I fault no one for needing help. The observation is that some women may truly not care and therefore choose to wear pj's in public, and that others may not have the means to buy clothes for their growing bodies. A pregnant body changes vastly throughout the process, and let's face it, maternity clothes can be costly. It is for that reason that I still don't have any. I ordered some and ended up sending them back knowing I'd need the money to take care of my kids this Christmas. I continue to make due with my regular clothes and a bella band. There have been a lot of assumptions made about what I think from what little people have gleaned from a few posts on a message board and it seems as though other responses on the OP about people being lazy are being credited as my opinion. Some of us can't afford healthcare or maternity clothes. Others just don't care what people think about their pj's in public.That's just the way it is. Get over it.
  • imageTocxica:
    Wow, I just started reading through this out of curiosity and ended up seeing alot of mamma-on-mamma drama going on. Pardon my directness but for lack of a better word it's all really stupid. Most of us feel like we should have our cellphones and ipods orbiting our stomachs and we're getting so hostile over someone's opinion? The truth is that alot of people walk around in their pj's when they're pregnant because a decent looking outfit(especially for shorter women, I'm 5'1" and my petite maternity pants drag the floor by three inches, but that's another rant) can cost $50-70. I for one am on medicaid because my first vistit cost over $1000, there is just no way that I can pay that much every month and the military's healthcare plan sucks. I always try to look nice when I go out but sometimes I just don't give a damn how I look to go into Piglet and pick up a gallon of milk. Since my hair is thicker since I got pregnant(and it was pretty thick and frizzy before then) I have trouble keeping it dectent looking(all hail the mighty ponytail). But on the otherhand, who are you to try and change someone's opinion? How many times has that actually worked? Why do we feel the need to say that we want to slap someone just because they don't agree with us? I reitterate from above, it's just stupid.

Are you a military service member or spouse? If so, why aren't you on Tricare?  I'm a military spouse and I have tricare prime and I don't pay a red cent when I go to the doc. In fact, I don't think I'll be paying anything at all for this entire pregnancy...  no copays for appts or meds. You mentioned that military care sucks...  I agree some aspects can suck, but overall, you're not gonna find anything better out there. $0.00 copays are unheard of.  Just curious.. I'd hate to see you paying out the arse when you don't have to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejacquelinethorne:
    Wow, your assumption that I think people on state assistance are too lazy to work is way off base. There are plenty of hard working people who still need help. I worked my butt off and still required healthcare assistance when my first son was born. I was a single mother, working and going to school full time and it was the only healthcare I could provide for my child. I fault no one for needing help. The observation is that some women may truly not care and therefore choose to wear pj's in public, and that others may not have the means to buy clothes for their growing bodies. A pregnant body changes vastly throughout the process, and let's face it, maternity clothes can be costly. It is for that reason that I still don't have any. I ordered some and ended up sending them back knowing I'd need the money to take care of my kids this Christmas. I continue to make due with my regular clothes and a bella band. There have been a lot of assumptions made about what I think from what little people have gleaned from a few posts on a message board and it seems as though other responses on the OP about people being lazy are being credited as my opinion. Some of us can't afford healthcare or maternity clothes. Others just don't care what people think about their pj's in public.That's just the way it is. Get over it.

Jacqueline, I didn't mean to offend you, I'm not sure if I didn't state it properly or if you just skimmed over my comments expecting more criticism, but I said from my past expericences. I meant with people I know and even the women at DFACS...and even my grandmother. I'm sorry that I offended you, but I was making a generalization(catch the tie in?) of women that I've had to deal with. I can't say anything about the thoughts and situations ofr women that you or OP have met. Nor can anyone. Again I'm sorry that I offended you, it was careless of me to assume that all women thought the same. All I ask is a bit of perspective on the part of others to see how it feels to have assumptions made about you.

• imageKRISTA555:

Are you a military service member or spouse? If so, why aren't you on Tricare?  I'm a military spouse and I have tricare prime and I don't pay a red cent when I go to the doc. In fact, I don't think I'll be paying anything at all for this entire pregnancy...  no copays for appts or meds. You mentioned that military care sucks...  I agree some aspects can suck, but overall, you're not gonna find anything better out there. $0.00 copays are unheard of.  Just curious.. I'd hate to see you paying out the arse when you don't have to.

I'm on CHAMPVA, My dad is a diabled vet and so we can't get married until after my boyfriend finishes basic or I won't be able to finish college. I had to pay for my birth control out of pocket because they don't cover pregnancy prevention(ended up getting pregnant anyway thanks to Yaz). Now Ben(our VA rep) says that because I'm 19 they can't help with my maternity costs. I'm to the point I don't care anymore because we always ended up paying out of pocket with them anyway.

• imageTocxica:

imagejacquelinethorne:

Jacqueline, I didn't mean to offend you, I'm not sure if I didn't state it properly or if you just skimmed over my comments expecting more criticism, but I said from my past expericences. I meant with people I know and even the women at DFACS...and even my grandmother. I'm sorry that I offended you, but I was making a generalization(catch the tie in?) of women that I've had to deal with. I can't say anything about the thoughts and situations ofr women that you or OP have met. Nor can anyone. Again I'm sorry that I offended you, it was careless of me to assume that all women thought the same. All I ask is a bit of perspective on the part of others to see how it feels to have assumptions made about you.

I took no offense, but wanted to make it clear that it is not my opinion that people on state assistance are lazy. Thanks for clarification on your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"