Photography

How do you get that pure, white background??

I've seen a lot of photos of newborns (and older kids) with beautiful bright lighting and nothing but white in the background. When my LO gets here, I plan on taking my own photos of her, and I need to know how to get this background? I think a sheet would have wrinkles/shadows in it.

Here's a photo example I took from MrsJeffswife2b (TIA!) siggie.

Re: How do you get that pure, white background??

• Seamless paper

The sell them and you need a stand for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You don't necessarily NEED a stand (though, it does make things easier, IMO). I used 53" seamless rolls for a few months before I got one- just used a table or chairs to hold the roll up. You could also roll it up from the floor, and attach the end to the wall.

White seamless will likely require some touch-up to make it look pure-white, if you don't have a dedicated light aimed on it. 

• image cmeon_the_water:

You don't necessarily NEED a stand (though, it does make things easier, IMO). I used 53" seamless rolls for a few months before I got one- just used a table or chairs to hold the roll up. You could also roll it up from the floor, and attach the end to the wall.

White seamless will likely require some touch-up to make it look pure-white, if you don't have a dedicated light aimed on it. 

Exactly!

I have a background stand (check my yesterday's blog post for my set up) http://www.becoming-mom.net/2009/11/10/fake-floors-and-walls-my-new-studio-set-up/

But yes, in post I had to use the white eyedrop tool in curves adj layer to set the background as a white point and then mask subject back in. Kind of a PITA! 

I have since learned to love COLORED paper as it requires a lot less post processing :)

• I use seamless white paper and then light the background with two studio lights that are brighter than the main subject light. The brighter lights in the background will always make it so you get a brilliant white background with very little to no touch ups. I use lightroom and use the white balance eye dropper and click on the white part of the eyes.  Here's an example (I added a slight vignette so it looks gray around the edges)
    Baby Bea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards