Stay at Home Moms

"So what do you DO all day?!"

Yeah that's what a fellow working mom of one asked me the other day. I'm like did you stay at home at ALL when you 1st had your LO? Because you obviously don't realize it is a much harder job than working. I have worked since I was 15 (29 now) and the last 6 years was at a high pressure sales job. That was a cake walk compared to staying home with a baby. However, I am very thankful that I can do it and it's very rewarding. I love being able to be with my DD. But how could you ask what do I do? Hello? Maybe take care of a baby among other things. You know what you pay someone to do for you. I cook almost every night, keep my house clean, do all the shopping, am a member of a local moms league and my church and have a baby that constantly needs my attention. Of course I just smiled and said "I've got my hands full". Sorry I just couldn't believe that came from someone who has had a baby.

Re: "So what do you DO all day?!"

• See- stuff like that doesn't even bother me anymore. I have truly become IMMUNE to jacka**comments like that.

I had a prick in my class tell me (I am finishing my graduate law classes) 'well I hope you would be at the top of the class- since you don't work and can be home and study all day long' ~ Seriously, buddy? wanna go there? (granted I DO work as well as being home- however that is neither here nor there)

I just ignore just about every comment made by just about anyone anymore. It is easier than getting worked up.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • "Enjoy time with my daughter and love life."  That's my new response.  :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • I usually hear that comment from people without kids, but UGH I hear ya-- that was a very ignorant thing to say. 

• image Stacyc625:

See- stuff like that doesn't even bother me anymore. I have truly become IMMUNE to jacka**comments like that.

This. I just smile and nod. Smile and nod! LOL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I cannot tell you how many times people have asked me that. ?My answer is "the kids practically raise themselves, I sit around and eat bon bons all day". ?After that they usually realize it was a stupid question :) ?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Newsflash...most working moms do everything you list above and still manage to work outside the home.  So, I find it hard to believe that SAH is harder than working. Yes, we do pay others to help raise our children, but we still have the same chores and put up with the same crap.  Maybe your friend didn't phrase her question very well because she doesn't relate to your life, but maybe you need to get the chip off your shoulder.

• image CLB111106:

Newsflash...most working moms do everything you list above and still manage to work outside the home.  So, I find it hard to believe that SAH is harder than working. Yes, we do pay others to help raise our children, but we still have the same chores and put up with the same crap.  Maybe your friend didn't phrase her question very well because she doesn't relate to your life, but maybe you need to get the chip off your shoulder.

Here's the difference.  We do it for 10-12 hours a day, with no other help around.  It's tiring.  I worked for 20 years before having DD, and this is by far the most tiring time of my life.  So it's annoying to be asked this question as if I've got nothing to do but file my nails and call psychic hotlines.

I expect if I was working it would be tiring as well.  It's not a contest, you know?  We're all exhausted!  ;)

Nola 3.30.08

Lucy 5.15.12

• My friend looked at me like I was crazy when I said that being a SAHM the hardest job I've ever had.  She was like 'Yeah, sure it is.  Whatever!'  Well, she was put on bedrest during her THIRD pregnancy and then ended up staying home with the newborn for about 3 months.  Soooo, she spent the summer with a newborn and her two older kids for those 3 months.  Later, she told me 'Oh my goodness.  I don't know how you do it.  I cannot do this everyday!'  Needless to say, she's back at work now.  Karma baby!!!!