Babies: 0 - 3 Months

So frustrated with long nursing sessions...

I'm going crazy here. This happens on a nightly basis... I nurse for 2-3 hours and DS still wants to continue nursing. I just finished a 2 hours session. My nipples are so sore and I'm thinking there is no way you can't be full! I offer him a paci but he won't take it.

Can anyone offer up some advice on how to handle this?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So frustrated with long nursing sessions...

• Side note- Sometimes I wonder if it is a growth spurt but he's been like this since he was born! Could it be becasue he is a big baby therefore he requires a lot to eat... birth weight was 8lbs 15oz. He's now a little over 8 lbs. I wonder also if he's just comfort nursing. But it's a bummer because he won't take a paci.
  • Have you tried nursing him in bed?  My DS3 was like this for the first few weeks.  I would finally BF in bed.  He would eventually fall asleep and quit suckling.  Also, try a different type of paci.  I had to go through 3 diff. ones before he would take it and not fuss. 

I complained about hour and a half long nursing I couldn't imagine 2-3 hours.   It shouldn't have anything to do with how big he was at birth.  Growth spurt number 1 happens around 6 wks. 

GL and don't give up.  

• Loading the player...
  • have you tried different paci shapes? DS would only take the nuk ones...

yes its a growth spurt...he must be trying to get more milk to come in...Sam was the same size at birth - he's now 15lbs!!

• babies have growth spurt 3 wks, 6wks, 3 months, then 6 months...I am breastfeeding at 7 weeks now and it's better. I'm reading babywise and following it loosely. I've now for past 2 weeks tried to stretch feedings to every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Sometimes she's just hungry and I feed her 1 1/2 hours after her last feeding. Sometimes babies get into habit of "snacking" and they'll continue to do this if you let them. If baby truly hungry then definitely feed baby. But try with a small goal of maybe every 2 or 2 1/2 hours and do the best you can. It gets better...don't give up. Also make sure baby getting hind milk. Foremilk comes first and is water/protein/nutrients...then hindmilk more satisfying and with fat. Start with side you finished last on each time. Try to get one good session even if it's just one side
  • imageshelleycollins1:
    babies have growth spurt 3 wks, 6wks, 3 months, then 6 months...I am breastfeeding at 7 weeks now and it's better. I'm reading babywise and following it loosely. I've now for past 2 weeks tried to stretch feedings to every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Sometimes she's just hungry and I feed her 1 1/2 hours after her last feeding. Sometimes babies get into habit of "snacking" and they'll continue to do this if you let them. If baby truly hungry then definitely feed baby. But try with a small goal of maybe every 2 or 2 1/2 hours and do the best you can. It gets better...don't give up. Also make sure baby getting hind milk. Foremilk comes first and is water/protein/nutrients...then hindmilk more satisfying and with fat. Start with side you finished last on each time. Try to get one good session even if it's just one side

I have not been doing this! I just realized that I learned this in our bfeeding class but have forgotten it. Thanks so much for mentioning this :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"