2nd Trimester

Speaking of Kindergarten....

My son's K class has a long term sub teacher in the room, and the same asst (for lack of better words) since the beginning of school.

I'm NOT happy with what's going on and had somewhat of a confrontational conversation with the asst teacher (acting as the head teacher now) this afternoon. ?

?Tomorrow we have our scheduled, end of the quarter, parent teacher conference. ?I'm almost tempted not to send him to school tomorrow till after the conference. ?The hormonal pregnant lady in me is tempted to pull him out if it doesn't go well.

?Basically there are 2 boys in the class who never learned how not to behave like monkeys and apes. ?They like to play and bring down my child. ?The teacher on maternity leave (who I like and respect) had things under control. ?I think the class is back to square one now. ?

?

So do I suck it up till next Christmas break and we get our old teacher back? ?Not be anymore confrontational so I'm not 'that' parent or demand this get fixed. ?We dealt with it all last year, the beginning of this year till their K teacher put a hault to it. ?I feel like it's starting again! ?UGH?

Re: Speaking of Kindergarten....

• I would def. be "that parent."  If they're making it difficult for your son, then chances are other parents will feel the same way.  It's not like you're sending him for play time....his learning environment shouldn't have to be compromised because she doesn't want to have to handle this issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would send him to school tomorrow but go to the conference tomorrow night.  give it 1 week to get better, if it doesn't involve the principal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • What are you going to do with your son if you pull him out?  Where I live K is not required, but once a parent decides to start K then they are required to continue school at that point either public or private.  (It's crazy IMO to not require it, but not to allow parents to change their decision.)  So where I live, you would have to put him somewhere else if you pulled him.

How many kids are in the class?  Can't you just tell your son not to play with and stay away from the 2 boys?
  • My son is in a private school so I think I hold them to higher standards. ?I'd most likely change him to a different, more strict, Christian school. ?I WOULD like him to not have to change but I'm SO TIRED of dealing with this. ?I am also open to home schooling. ?We pay enough in tuition that I could bring in a private teacher and pay for classes for things I don't feel apt to handle.

These boys seek out my son and I'm in an extra hard position because I'm good friends with one of their moms. ?She knows I've told my son to try to stay away from them, etc. ?She's working with her son but we have different expectations and parenting. ?

We've talked to the teachers about it, etc. ?I've witnessed him time and time ago telling them to stop pushing him, leave him alone, etc before he finally pushes them away, etc and then they are engaged. ? A month and half ago they convinced me it was taken care of. ?Today my son had to have someone walk him outside to the car for the safety of the other kids? ?Because the other boys want to goof off with him? WTF

?

• Oh wow!  So is the substitute not doing the teaching and classroom management??  An asst. should not be "acting" as a certified teacher.  I am a first grade teacher and am required to find a certified, licensed teacher to do my maternity leave.  I would speak with both the sub and the asst. about your concerns for your child and how the behavior of these child are negatively affecting the learning for every child in the room.  If they do not make an effort or give you adequate responses, you need to speak with the principal.  The principal should be aware of such negative learning environments.   Try to remain calm while stating your concerns and try as best as you can to not come across accusatory, just concerned.

BEST OF LUCK!  Let us know how it goes.

• imageRunningMom:

My son is in a private school so I think I hold them to higher standards.  I'd most likely change him to a different, more strict, Christian school.  I WOULD like him to not have to change but I'm SO TIRED of dealing with this.  I am also open to home schooling.  We pay enough in tuition that I could bring in a private teacher and pay for classes for things I don't feel apt to handle.

These boys seek out my son and I'm in an extra hard position because I'm good friends with one of their moms.  She knows I've told my son to try to stay away from them, etc.  She's working with her son but we have different expectations and parenting.  

We've talked to the teachers about it, etc.  I've witnessed him time and time ago telling them to stop pushing him, leave him alone, etc before he finally pushes them away, etc and then they are engaged.   A month and half ago they convinced me it was taken care of.  Today my son had to have someone walk him outside to the car for the safety of the other kids?  Because the other boys want to goof off with him? WTF

I'd put him in another school.  I've worked in both public and private schools.  In private, the classes/grade levels are usually smaller, so kids are in the same class with kids they don't get along with for years.  If it is this bad now, imagine what it will be like in a couple years (especially on the playground and lunch where kids have more freedom).  IMO things will only get worse as the kids get older.  I'm guessing the school is small since you had this problem last year, but they were still in the same class this year.  Where I am now, we make sure to separate the kids who don't get along or get along too well and goof off (separating kids is done at parent request as well as teacher's).

• I am a k teacher and I definitely think you should express your concerns and involve the administration if you need to.  I also think you should help your son figure out some strategies on how to deal with these boys.  While they may not be a good influence on your son, no matter what school you go to or how you try to shield your child, there are always going to be those types of kids or people.  Removing him from the situation doesn't solve the problem and doesn't give your son the tools to deal with people that are not ideal. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"