Infertility

Questions about IUI....

Hi!  I'm fairly new to this board, I have been reading up on some of the past posts.  My husband and I have been TTC since 2007, and I have had several miscarriages in that amount of time.  All of my levels are good, I had surgery to correct my uterin septum back in 2008.  We have tried several rounds of clomid (50-150mg) with just intercourse.  This cycle we have decided to try a round of IUI.  The doctor gave us a sheet on it, but I still have a few questions about it.  What exactly happens?  I know that my DH gives a sample and they wash it and prepare it for the IUI and then they insert a cathader to place the sperm further up in the uterus.  What was your restrictions after the procedure?  How long does the procedure take?   TIA!!! 

Re: Questions about IUI....

• All that really happens is what you said. It is a very straight forward, simple procedure.

I had no restrictions afterwards. 

We went in at 8:30 for DH to give his sample. We went and got breakfast and then back to the clinic at about 10:15. The NP came in my room, and start to finish, it was maybe 2 minutes..or less.

Then we also did an u/s afterward, just to make sure there was fluid around and we got to see the sperm swimming around in me, which was pretty cool..

GL! 

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• First they do an u/s to see how many follies you have then they will give you a trgger shot. 24 - 48 hours after is when they do the IUI. DH gives his sample then it's washed (it's usually about 2 hours between his appt and yours). It's kinda like a pap smear. It only takes like 5 or 10 minutes and then they will have you lay down for about 20 minutes. Not too many resistrictions, my nurse said no horse back riding. GL!
    Stacy
    PCOS, RPL, & Anti Cardiolipin Antibody
  • Loading the player...
  • You pretty much said it all :)

The IUI itself feels like a pap and takes about 30 seconds. Afterwards you will probably have to lay on the table for 10-15 minutes.

Good luck! 

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • The procedure itself is quick but it does take some waiting after you drop off the sperm for the wash. At my clinic they do back to back IUIs, so I went two days in a row.  DH sat with me while they did it, even he was surprised by how quick it was.

I wasn't given any restrictions after -- told to carry on as normal and come back in two weeks to test.

• Pretty much what you described- I assume you had monitoring (bldwk/ U/s) with your clomid + TI cycles- but if not, you'll have that w/ IUI- basically on day 3, then probably around day 11- and continuing until your follicles are ready- then you give yourself a trigger shot (not painful at all) and come in for IUI typically 36hrs later.   Hubby has to supply his sample and it takes roughly 30 minutes for sperm washing-

the actual IUI is simple- like a pap basically.  Afterwards you lay for 25 minutes w/ your butt propped up.  There's no restrictions once you go home. 

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Thank you all soo much! You really put my mind to ease!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"