Success after IF

back from local MFM - feeling better (long)

Ok, where to start...

After last week's scary appt with the MFM who would do the SR if we chose to, I was really looking forward to meeting the local MFM who would provide our prenatal care. He was really really nice, and we got to meet 2 more of the MFMs in the practice (there are 5 total) randomly in the hallway. He talked with us for a long time to answer questions, then showed us the labor & delivery area, and then arranged for us to meet a neonatologist and get a tour of the NICU. The babies there were so tiny but they looked well cared for and all the nurses were really nice.

All the scary statistics are still scary, but I feel better now that I've met the nurses and docs and seen the facilities. Our current plan is to have the NT scan on 10/13 (I'll be 11w6d). Then if anything looks abnormal, we might do CVS just on the abnormal one (that makes me feel better than doing CVS on all 3). My husband and I are in agreement that we'll only do SR if something seriously wrong is found during the NT scan or CVS. The MFM says our chance of naturally losing one at this point is pretty low, so he feels it would be safe for me to tell work. After all, we have some planning to do if I'm going on bedrest eventually!

We will also get to schedule an appt w/their nutritionist, which I'm excited about.

The (sort of petty) downsides are that it's at a university teaching hospital, so we'll have to deal with residents and med students, the accommodations aren't quite as luxurious as at the private hospital in town, and the parking is less convenient. But all the L&D rooms are private!

And here's an interesting side note - my blood pressure was a lot lower at this appt compared with the scary MFM last week. Don't you think that's a good sign??

thanks for all of your support, ladies. I couldn't get through all this scariness without you!!!

~L

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: back from local MFM - feeling better (long)

• That sounds like a really well-thought-out plan, and I'm glad you feel reassured after seeing the facility.  And the lower blood pressure suggests that you feel much more comfortable with this MFM as well! 

• I just wanted to say that I'm thrilled your appt went so well. It sounds like the MFM was very thorough at putting you and dh's minds at ease.

Congratulations again!

• Loading the player...
  • i'm so glad the appointment went well... it sounds like you have a plan that everyone feels comfortable with, and that is SO important!   
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've been thinking about you all week! I'm so glad this appointment was so much better. Your plan sounds great and must be reassuring to you. That's awesome that they showed you the NICU and that you met the neonatologist. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about our NICU doctors, but I wish I could have met them before the whole incident.
    IUI # 1 on 1/19, Beta 2/1 = BFN, Hysteroscopy on 2/15= 5 polyps removed, and cervix cleared, IUI #2 on 4/15 = BFP, Beta#1 on 4/30 @ 15 dpiui= 279, Beta #2 on 5/9 @24dpiui = 10,154, U/S on 8/5 = TWO GIRLS! Born 10/16 at 28 weeks. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like a great appointment and you also sound confident in your decision. Go you!

I would just like to add...I'm a L&D nurse at a large teaching hospital. I really have to say that every resident I have met and worked with is beyond competent. They are fresh, energetic,  and young with the latest medical education/resources available. I'd trust my care in their hands.  With that said, nothing beats the expertise of a MFM...and please know that the residents are watched over VERY closely and have to clear every decision with the "higher ups".

Good luck at the NT scan!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so glad you had a good experience with this guy.  He sounds awesome.
  • Sounds like it all went really well for you!  :)  I'm glad to hear that this MFM seemed so much nicer and more into showing you the end results of keeping all three (L&D, NICU, etc.) which sounds like it was really comforting to you and your hubby.  :)

Good luck in telling work!  I'm kinda happy I didn't have to do that (I stay home) because I've been on bedrest since 12w1d. lol 

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like it was a really good appointment, I'm so glad you've got a doc that you're comfortable with and who is clearly calming.  Yay!
  • Wonderful.  Hope you're able to take (at least one!) nice deep breath now :)
  • I'm glad things went well today.  It sounds like you have a plan in place that makes you feel much more comfortable. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Glad your appointment went well!  Sounds like you have some great docs to take care of you and your babies.
  • imageMaybeBabyTime:

Sounds like a great appointment and you also sound confident in your decision. Go you!

I would just like to add...I'm a L&D nurse at a large teaching hospital. I really have to say that every resident I have met and worked with is beyond competent. They are fresh, energetic,  and young with the latest medical education/resources available. I'd trust my care in their hands.  With that said, nothing beats the expertise of a MFM...and please know that the residents are watched over VERY closely and have to clear every decision with the "higher ups".

Good luck at the NT scan!!

thanks for the reassuring words about residents! I really shouldn't say anything bad b/c I work in a training program for psychologists, and I'm always telling people how great our trainees are. I think I'm more reluctant about the idea of just having to deal with a lot of people, rather than the residents themselves. I promise to be nice to them!

• Glad your appt went well.  Sounds like a good plan!

• I'm glad to hear that things went well at your appt. It's always nice to have a plan.
  • Great to hear your progress and love that they told you your risk of losing any of the babies is really low now!
    1-20-09 BFP third month of Follistim IUI 02-19-09 MC 06-24-09 MC July IUI Follistim Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone=BFN Aug. IUI Follistim Ganirelix ovidrel Crinone=BFP= scared sh**less 10-12-09 MC = 1 ectopic 1 perfect Dec. IUI Gonal-F Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone Lovenox 01-02-10 BFP=scared sh**less again 01-06-10 CP SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME : ) March 2010 - IVF in progress converted to IUI 03-30-10 BFN April 2010 - IVF - BFFN June 2010 - IVF - BFFN July IUI BFP! March 26 2011 Gracie is here! imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so glad your appt went well! Enjoy telling the people at work :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i'm glad you are feeling better, and i hope your NT scan goes well!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Glad you're feeling better about everything and you found Dr.'s you like!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sounds like a good plan.  I'm glad you have sorted out your options!

As far as residents/med students go--you can always ask some or all to leave, or decline to have procedures performed by them.  It is your right as a patient.  That said, where I delivered was also a large teaching hospital, but my OB group's patients were not followed by residents/med students.  The only interaction I had with them was doing some pushing with a resident bc my OB was in the next room delivering.

• I'm glad that your appt went well.  I wish you & the babies all the best :)

• I'm glad your appointment went well - I was thinking about you.  (((hugs)))
  • That is great news. I can relate with you because we go to a university hospital as well and usually end up with a student in the room but heck, what's one more?! lol

I think you and your DH have made good decisions given the circumstances. It's not easy especially after dealing with IF. And yes, you need to start planning early just incase you are on bedrest. Did they say if they make you go on bedrest at a certain time? 

I'm glad it went well and if you have any questions or anything let me know!

• glad you feel better about things!
  • Sounds like a great visit and a great plan!!!  Have fun telling work - they're going to FAINT!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Oh I am so glad you feel better after today's appointment.  It sounds like you have a solid plan in place.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2 chem preg, 4 failed IUIs, 2 canc IVFs, 2 BFN IVFs, IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    3/23 Beta #1 @ 17dpo = 913, Beta #2 @ 19dpo = 1724, Beta #3 @ 21 dpo = 3240
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
  • i'm glad you have a plan, and one you sound like you can be really confident with.  I think it sounds like a great plan.

• That sounds like a great appt and a great plan. I'm glad you have some relief!  And for the record, I LOVE our teaching hospital, that's actually where our RE is. To me, the more brains the better:)  I'll take that over luxurious accomodations anyday. Can't wait to hear about your NT scan.
  • Glad to hear you are feeling more comfortable and you have a plan.
  • I'm glad everything is going well and you have a plan in place.  Take care of those precious 3.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Sounds like you have a plan, which is great!  As long as you have good doctors and nurses on your side, you will be fine.  And we'll be here to see you through this.

• I'm so glad your appt. went well and you are feeling better about things. The new MFM sounds like a nice guy who has your best interests at heart.

*Excessive scar tissue, blocked tubes*hypothyroidism*
    IVF #1 BFN 10/07
    IVF #2 w/ICSI & AH*C/P 5/09
    Beta #1-33 Beta #2-50 Beta #3-10
    FET 9/9/09*Transferred 2 Blasts*BFP!
    Beta #1- 2991, Beta #2 - 6757 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • that's awesome news! you must feel a huge sense of relief.

I have to say, don't be so quick to bash a teaching hospital. I delivered at a university hospital and it was nothing short of incredibly professional. I had the opportunity to deliver at the local private hospital (dh worked at both) and the university facilities were far superior.

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • Sounds like an all around good appointment...I'm glad things went well...
  • I'm so glad that it went well!  This is a much more optimistic picture!
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Sounds like a great visit and it must be nice to have a plan.  Yay!
    Nothing to see here....
  • sounds like it went really well.  I am glad to hear that it helped put your mind at ease and I hope everything goes well at your NT scan so you don't even have to think about doing any CVS.  as far as it being a teaching hospital - it has benefits too - they are going to be the most up to date on the medicine and more meticulous, with residents looking over med students and attendings looking over the residents...so you have more people over all taking care of you and the babies so you'll have better care :)
  • I'm so glad this appt went so much better. You sound like you are in a much better place now! Good luck with you pg! Have fun telling everybody about all of your mircles!
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling so much better than after your appt. last week.  It must feel very reassuring to have a solid plan like you have now.  It sounds like a safe and very well considered plan to me.

And how exciting to get to tell your work soon.  Eek!  People are going to be amazed Wink

Ectopic pregnancy Aug. 2008, followed by a diagnosis of two blocked tubes.
    IVF#1 gave us a BFP on 8/24/09, DD born May 2010
    Surprise, natural BFP July 2012 ended in miscarriage 9/4/12 at 10w4d
    FET#1 January 2013
  • I'm so glad it went well

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"