3rd Trimester

Gallbladder surgery while pregnant?? Is this safe??

So I'm 27 weeks today and am having troubles with my gallbladder. I'm in soo much pain I can hardly stand it. Does anyone know anything about having your gallbladder removed being so far along???

Re: Gallbladder surgery while pregnant?? Is this safe??

• I've been dealing with gallbladder issues since mid-July and will be having my gallbladder removed about 3-4 weeks after I deliver. I will either be induced or have a scheduled c-section in about 2-3 weeks.Feel free to ask any questions or page me.
  • so what did you do for the pain?? I'm having terrible pain and my ob sent me to a surgeon thinking they would set up surgery and they said they didnt want to remove it since I was so far along and that could induce labor where as my ob sent me there cause they said the pain could cause labor. People just tell me its an easy surgery and they do it all the time on preg. people, but now I'm wondering is this really true....

• Loading the player...
  • For right now I'm taking Percocet for the pain and for right now it's taking care of the pain. Also I had a procedure performed in July while I was awake since they couldn't get my white blood cell count down. I had a tube inserted into my gallbladder and it drained out the sludge I had in my gallbladder. Now it just drains out the normal bile. When I was diagnosed with the gallbladder issues in July I was told by the GI doctor that it wasn't really safe to perform surgery this far along even though it would be done arthroscopically, they would still have to put me under anesthetia. They said they would only remove the gallbladder if it became an absolute emergency. They said the pain will never be a zero, but the percocet I'm taking has brought the pain down to a one or two out of ten.
  • I feel for your ladies. I had my gall bladder out 11 years ago (I was 15), the pain I suffered until then was horrible. Although the surgery was incredibly easy (it was done by lasers), I wouldn't think it is good to be done during pregnancy. I wish you both the best.
  • I dont have personal experience, but a friend of mine had issues with her galbladder during her pegnancy. the plan was to watch her diet & remove it after she gave birth. it got really bad at one point & she ended up having it out while she was still pregnant. she still carried the baby to term & the baby was perfectly healthy. good luck to you.
  • I had mine out when I was 20 weeks pregnant, but I know they can do it up until about 30/32 weeks.  Definitely talk to your doctor and find a surgeon.  I got 3 different opinions before deciding to move forward, and the OB was not the one to help make the final decision - the surgeons were.  Find someone with experience doing the surgery during pregnancy. 
  • Thanks everyone!! I have been put on medicince and its not helping the pain at all. So my OB doc referred me to a sugeon who said he wouldnt remove it cause the risk of going into labor, but my OB also thinks that the pain could put me into early labor. So either way its not a good situation I dont think. Now I'm just stuck in horrible pain with different doctors saying different things.... very frusterating!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"