Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Similac Sensitive and Enfamil Gentlease users come in please!

My LO's pedi just had us swich LO to Similac Sensitive today. We brought it home and used it all day and noticed that the first two ingredients are corn syrup and sugar. My husband really didn't like that and wants to put him back on regular Enfamil premium. The stuff even tastes like sugar water. Im wondering if Enfamil Genlease also has sugar and corn syrup in it or maybe less of both ingredients because the Similac is lactose free and I noticed that the gentlease has reduced lactose. Also if your LO uses either of them if it really made a difference in fussiness and gas.

Thanks so much!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Similac Sensitive and Enfamil Gentlease users come in please!

• I use Gentlease and it does have corn syrup. I think when they take away or reduce the lactose it makes the milk bitter and that's why they add corn syrup and sugar. I'm still going to use it though b/c DS is doing much better on this formula than the Premium Lipil I was using. He has a lot less gas and sleeps better. Since it's working so far I'm sticking with it.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • There should be a list of ingredients on thier website or drugstore.com.

Enfamil's soy formula is sugar free.

I would be careful of going against doctor's orders and not switching formulas if the pedi told you to.

My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is on Similac Sensitive and doing really well with it. She orginally was on Enfamil Premium, then Gentlease - which sucked and made her worse, then Alimentum. We're just successfully weaned her from Alimentum to Sensitive. I do know that Similac has sucrose in it, which does taste good - Enfamil does not. Also, a major difference is that Gentlease only has 1/5 less Lactose, whereas Sensitive has 0 lactose. If your baby is fussy/colicky/gassy due to a lactose intolerance, he won't do well with Gentlease! Keep that in mind...I think that's why DD was worse on it.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The sugar is added, as above poster said, since without the milk it is more bitter... plus, if you ever tasted breast milk, it tastes like really sweet milk.
    My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I use similac sensitive, i noticed a huge difference in DD's fussiness and gas when i switched from advanced.  I never read the ingredents til i read your post.  I also have Enfamil Lactofree Lipil that my grandmother bought me, i'm not sure if the ingredents would be close to genlease, but the first ingredent is still corn syrup but sugar isnt listed so i'd assume it wouldnt be as sweet as the similac.
  • imageefortune:
    The sugar is added, as above poster said, since without the milk it is more bitter... plus, if you ever tasted breast milk, it tastes like really sweet milk.

True, BM is sweet. I don't understand how babies like the taste of formula, sometimes more than BM. Formula tastes so gross, regardless of the brand.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • DS is on Similac Sensitive and it made a HUGE difference in his gassiness.
  • My DS is on Similiac Sensitive and it made a huge different for him as well.. His gassiness went away and he seems so much more comfortable after eating than he did with Similac Advanced. 
  • It doesnt make anyone else nervous that it has sugar and corn syrup in it? Im going to stick with it untill LO is 3 months and hopefully it will get better on its own.
  • DD has reflux, plus she was spit up almost every feeding, Ped switched us to Sensitive RS (rice starch) and she is 100% better. Be careful about going against your doctors orders, they do have a degree after all. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"