Success after IF

Got my NT scan results -- please help me interpret

The nurse called this morning with my results (early this morning, which makes me think they had them yesterday and just didn't call -- grrrr).  She said "the results are in the normal range, pending the second blood draw" (referring to the quad screen I'll have in 4 weeks).

Then I asked what the numbers were.  She said 1 in 10,000 for Trisomy 18, which is awesome, because I was freaked out about that one.  However, the risk for Down Syndrome is 1 in 68.  She said 1 in 50 "is the cutoff," so 1 in 68 is considered normal.  She also said the risk usually goes down after the second blood draw.

I'm confused, because I thought the cutoff for elevated risk was somewhere between 1 in 200 and 1 in 300, and even the doctor said something similar.  And from all I've read on The Nest and other boards, I thought the standard protocol for receiving a number like 1 in 68 was to 1) freak out; 2) get an amnio; 3) find out everything's fine.  Can I really accept her verdict of "normal," skip step 2, and assume step 3 until told otherwise?  It just seems so different from what other people have been told about their results.  Thoughts?

Re: Got my NT scan results -- please help me interpret

• I usually thought 1/68 was also something that required further testing. Maybe because of your age (you're over 40, right?) the cutoffs for "abormal" are lower, since just the basic risk even without bloodwork is higher than the normal cutoffs? It sounds like maybe your bloodwork and u/s reduced the risk below the typical for your age so they're comfortable for now until further testing with the quad screen? I have no basis for this, just a guess. Good luck, sorry you didn't get better info!
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • At 1/68 I think you should push for more testing. While I wouldn't jump right to an amnio I think pushing for an early u/s to check for downs markers is in order. Then you could talk about the amnio. I don't know how you feel about termination but if that is something you are thinking about the window for that is small. If not then there is less of a time crunch. I for one would just want to know if there is anything wrong and completely understand wanting that amnio ASAP. (((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))) I will be sending your little one lots of healthy good thoughts and prayers.
  • Loading the player...
  • First - let's look at what 1 in 68 really means percentage wise.

It's about 1.5 (that's one-point-five) percent.  Pretty darn low.  So that's your chance for down's.  So your chance of baby NOT having it is 98.5 percent.  Those are pretty darn good odds V.   And I don't think it has anything to do with your blood - it's that you're an old lady (as am I, so I can say this.)  Basically - if your same bloodwork was paired with an age of, say, 28 - you'd probably be looking at something like 1 in several hundred or even thousands.

HOWEVER ... definitely talk it over with your doctor, etc.  I like to *know* things too - so get the facts so you can get to a place where you feel comfortable.  But in my almost never humble opinion - your baby's fabulous nuchal measurement and sassy nasal bone provide far more insight here than the lame bloodwork.  

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• imageschmoodle:
    I usually thought 1/68 was also something that required further testing. Maybe because of your age (you're over 40, right?) the cutoffs for "abormal" are lower, since just the basic risk even without bloodwork is higher than the normal cutoffs? It sounds like maybe your bloodwork and u/s reduced the risk below the typical for your age so they're comfortable for now until further testing with the quad screen? I have no basis for this, just a guess. Good luck, sorry you didn't get better info!

I also wonder if the cutoff is lower because of my age.  One in 68 is still worse than my risk based on age alone, though.  I'll be a couple of months from 41 when the baby is born, which puts the risk somewhere between 1 in 85 (for age 41) and 1 in 110 (for 40).  My u/s was perfect, so it had to be something in the bloodwork.

• please reread lucy p's post. she is absolutely correct percentage-wise. I think my b/w came back 1/48 which sent me into a complete frenzy. the age screws up the number straight away.

I'm sorry you are going through this torture. all the testing and genetic counseling was the WORST part of my pregnancy. hang in there!

:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • imageLucyPevensie:

First - let's look at what 1 in 68 really means percentage wise.

It's about 1.5 (that's one-point-five) percent.  Pretty darn low.  So that's your chance for down's.  So your chance of baby NOT having it is 98.5 percent.  Those are pretty darn good odds V.   And I don't think it has anything to do with your blood - it's that you're an old lady (as am I, so I can say this.)  Basically - if your same bloodwork was paired with an age of, say, 28 - you'd probably be looking at something like 1 in several hundred or even thousands.

HOWEVER ... definitely talk it over with your doctor, etc.  I like to *know* things too - so get the facts so you can get to a place where you feel comfortable.  But in my almost never humble opinion - your baby's fabulous nuchal measurement and sassy nasal bone provide far more insight here than the lame bloodwork.  

THIS is why I nominate you for Smartest Nestie Ever. You just know how to say things. ::::golf clap::::

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • I don't really have advise I just wanted to offer some support for my due date twin and tell you I'm sending you lots of positive vibes. I think LucyP's post makes an excellent point however if you are uncomfortable or worried at all I would call back your OB and demand to talk to them and not the nurse about the results and their planned course of action. That way you can determine if you're comfortable with what they have to say or if you want to get a second opinion. Best of luck to you and I hope this is all confusion and the nurse just didn't explain it all to you!

*hugs*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi guys.  Thanks so much for your support -- you always know how to make me feel better!  LucyP does have an excellent point about the 98.5% -- it's true.

I found a website that makes me feel better.  In my internet searching today (oh, you know I did internet searching), I found an indication that the age-related odds for DS are worse at 12 weeks than at term, due to the higher rate of m/c of DS babies.  So when I googled age-related risk at 12 weeks, look what I found:  https://tinyurl.com/ko5cqo.  40 years maternal age = risk of 1 in 68! 

So maybe it is just my age.  I left the doctor a message anyway to get more information, but this does make me feel better.

I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks again! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"