Baby Names

Changing mind on name when seeing baby

Just wondering if anyone who already had a baby has been set on a name and then totally changed their minds when they actually met the child...

I have this weird fear that I will choose a name that I love and it will feel totally WRONG when I see him/her....

Although that didn't happen with DD, and I'm not even KU yet, so....just curious!;)

You are so money and you don't even know it.

Re: Changing mind on name when seeing baby

• My DH was convinced that if we decided on a name; we may not think the name fit the baby when we saw him.  So, we narrowed it down to three names.  We chose the name when he was born. 

IMO, a newborn baby really doesn't look any more like one name or the other...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I considered changing DS2's name in the hospital, but I was just loopy. I'm so glad I didn't change it (it's Jonas, almost decided to name him Micah at the last minute).
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejolis_petits_bijoux:

THIS 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely agree....I've just been bombarded lately with stories of women having babies and totally realizing that they didn't "look like" the name they had picked out.

Silly, really...;)

You are so money and you don't even know it.
  • My cousin went into the hospital with the name Naomi completely set, but she left with a baby named Ella.  She said when she was born and had brown hair, she couldn't see the Naomi in her anymore (my cousin has very redish-blond hair and thought her baby would be super light).
  • imageabba916:
    imagejolis_petits_bijoux:

THIS 

I agree. My friend went in w/ 2 names. Her daughter was born with dark brown hair so they decided on the more Italian name, figuring it "fit" her look. Except that hair fell out and now it's much much lighter. My friend says, had they know, they may have gone w/ the other name. Either way, they loved both names and the name fits her daughter perfectly.

Babies grow into their names, not the other way around ;)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • My parents had decided on my name and told everyone what it was. When I was born, they decided to change it & everyone was totally thrown off. 
  • I was nervous about this before DD was born, especially since there were no other names that we liked! About a week before she was born we decided on "Lucy" as the back up name (in my mind I think I knew that we wouldn't really use it), but I'm so glad she came out looking like a Sophie to me. She's not a Lucy at all.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I have feared that too, however we have really connected to our son as Jackson.  We talk about him using his name, etc.  To me, he can't be anything other than Jackson.
  • It happens.  My sister was supposed to be a Bridgette or Brittany but after she was born, my parents decided she didn't look like either of those and they named her Kaitlin instead.  I have to say, she definitely looks like a Kate so they made a good choice lol.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having a back-up.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageabba916:
    imagejolis_petits_bijoux:

THIS 

Exactly! This is why I don't understand why people say to decide if she looks like an Abigail or a Hannah when you see her. It makes no sense at all to me! 

• we didn't name dd until she was 3 hours old b/c we went to the hospital with 3 names, thinking it would be an easy choice when "we saw her." it wasn't! I kept calling her all 3 names thinking that one would just "click." Nope. Didn't happen.

Go with what you love. Your baby will grow into the name you give to him/her

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not at all. My mom named me Natalie because I was born with jet black hair. A few months later, it all fell out and turned blond. The fair-haired choice was Valerie. I'm glad to be Natalie, but this is proof to me that naming your kid based on what they look like right after birth is pointless.
  • I'll be the odd one out and say that there's something to be said for intuition. I don't think it's about "look," but I trust my instincts.
  • My sis changed my nephews name from Quentin to Kai at six weeks.  They weren't expecting a blond hair blue eyed baby.  Apparently Quentin just didn't work.  Kai means ocean so they switched!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"