3rd Trimester

so my thighs are bleeding. HELP.

okay so this is probably WAY TMI. so sorry ladies.

But i'm miserable. due to stretchmarks making an appearance roughly half an inch below my crotch, the skin down there is really super tender.

Which normally wouldn't be too much of a problem but just because it's so hot and my thighs are rubbing together it's causing open raw patches that can get so irritated that they bleed.

DH has been a champ, he's been shaving my legs for me so I don't accidently get too close and shave over the raw places and he puts neosporin or patroleum jelly on them.

This has been going on for weeks. I've tried everything I can think of.. ointments, baby powder to keep it dry, only wearing jeans (which didn't help at all because the seam rubbed my thighs raw), wearing briefs instead of thongs (didn't help because they rubbed), wearing boy shorts (again, rubbed), wearing bike shorts.. I'm running out of ideas!!

we don't have a tub so I can't soak..only a shower. 

the only thing I have found to work is wearing dresses so it stays cool and doesn't sweat.

it's gotten to the point where i cry nearly everytime anything touches my thighs. Poor DH is scared to touch me and it seems like it's only getting worse. 

Please help me.

Re: so my thighs are bleeding. HELP.

• Have you talked to your doctor about this?....Maybe he/she can prescribe something for you.....Or a dermatologist even.

I'm sorry you are having this discomfort. Sad 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would call the doc and see if there is a cream you can be prescribed. Poor dear! This sounds torturous!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMsMoseley:

Have you talked to your doctor about this?....Maybe he/she can prescribe something for you.....Or a dermatologist even.

I talked to my RN because my doc wasn't at his office and she basically told me to suck it up.

• This may not be the most comfortable option but it might help the rubbing/bleeding.  Maybe you could wrap a layer of breathable gauze around your thighs.  That way you can still wear the clothing you want but hopefully the material will help it be less irritated.  They have medical glue strips that can hold the gauze in place. 

I hope you find a solution!

BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • aw....that's rude of her! Well since we were on the subject of witch hazel....why don't you try some of that to relieve some of the stinging pain. You can buy a bottle of it pretty cheap pretty much anywhere.
    Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• that sounds awful. i would call & see if your dermatologist could see you for it. i would worry about it getting infected if its sore for a long period of time.
  • I use Monistat Soothing Relief ant-chafing powder gel.  It is absolutely amazing.  I put it under my breasts and on my thighs. 

https://www.monistat.com/soothing-care-powder-gel

• That sounds awful!  I had this problem (though not as severe as yours) when I first gained weight.  I would suggest continue with the neosporin and wrap gauze around them until the sores heal.  I used this anti-chaffing cream from Monostat and it really helped.  It dries into a light powder so your skin and clothing don't rub raw.  I found that wearing skirts and dresses actually made the sore spots worse.  I liked lightweight cotton pants.  Hope this helps!
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • Try pure lanolin.  I am not sure if you can but this in a pharmacy.  I got mine from L&D when I had my last for my breasts.  Lanolin is awesome.  It is thick and stays put.  It won't smear or rub off and is a great barrier cream.  If you can't find that try to find a cream that is strictly for elderly people that have bed sores.  I believe it is called Aloe Vesta which is also thick...
  • I like the Monistat anti-chafing gel mentioned above. They also make slips that are actually shorts that you can wear under dresses. I would recommend them instead of going bear legged. They are lightweight like a slip but prevent your thighs from rubbing together and they came in handy in Italy when we did a lot of walking but I wore dresses nearly every day.

Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is what we did for our patients at the nursing home and they were very greatful.  First if they are bleeding put some antibotic omint.  let some air get to it, lay in bed with out pants on.  once you let some air hit it put some baby power over that then put on some spandex shorts. the spandex well help with the rubbing and the baby powder will help with keep things dry.
  • imagevivalarevolution:
    imageMsMoseley:

Have you talked to your doctor about this?....Maybe he/she can prescribe something for you.....Or a dermatologist even.

I talked to my RN because my doc wasn't at his office and she basically told me to suck it up.

Indifferent 

• Do they sell pg bicycle shorts? I loved using these under skirts when I traveled in South East Asia and the humidity etc was awful. If the raw spots are damp you could put a dressing on them before putting on the shorts.

I am not sure that vasaline is the way to go. I have had this before (more a weight issue) and the dryer you keep everything the better. It is like having a blister on your foot - it just gets worse when damp. 

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Corn starch-sounds weird, I know.

I have gotten "chub rub" really bad since being pregnant and this has really helped me. 

As a side note, if you get the poops a lot and your butt starts to get sore and hurt, put a little corn starch in the area and it is great relief and clears it up.  My grandma used to do this for me when I would get diaper rash as a baby and I have continued to use it my entire life with great relief :) 

• imagebriderx:
    I was going to recommend the Monistat Anti-Chafing gel too. But I would suggest having your doctor look at your legs the next appointment if you are sweating a lot you could have a fungal/yest infection cause the area to be so tender and not heal. Keep the area as dry as possible with baby powder/cornstarch and when you are home go pantsless and let the area "air out." Good luck.

This. Ignore your RN and talk to your doc. I developed a really irritated/chafing area underneath my breasts and was using just ointment and powder. Turns out it was basically a fungal infection and some over the counter cream my dr. told me about healed it right up.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"