Parenting
Options

Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

12346»

Re: Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

• Options

I just set small, atainable goals for myself so that I don't get discouraged and give up completly.  For example, I do deep knee bends and squats when I'm holding Jack (hey, he's like a weight, right??), I've joined a stroller fitness group that meets once a week, and I try not to eat from all the food groups and get all the nutrients my body needs. 

I've put my body through a lot with the pregnancy, labor, and nursing 9 months!  I'm not about to starve it, too!  Finally, I don't beat myself up for having a day every now and then when I don't feel like doing anything except playing with Jackson and enjoying being a mommy! 

• Options
    The best advice I've heard to shed postnatal pounds is breastfeeding.  I'm a runner so I plan to buy a baby jogger and start hitting the pavement as soon as the doc ok's it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Take baby steps to your workout and make a schedule especially if you are a working mom.  While pregnant use relaxation tips in your workout or do something similar to Yoga.  Make sure you have fun, breathe and drink lots of water!

• Options
    Even though you are eating for two, you should still be mindful of what you are eating.  I've also heard exercising throughout your pregnancy is the way to go. 
  • Options
    Make time for yourself everyday.  Exercise, eat well and take long hot bathes.
  • Options
    I have found that continuing my regular exercise routine helps during AND after pregnancy.  It is also good for helping cope during the rigorous birthing process.  I love to walk and am a big fan of what is commonly called "Baby Yoga".  After giving birth I resume my regime as soon as allowed by the doctor.  I have found that these exercise sessions are also a great way to bond with baby and my older children; family walks, outdoorsy activities, playing on park equipment, and stretching games are all favorites.  Once I was asked how I got my middle section so small so quickly and my friend was amazed to hear that it was mainly from laying baby on a blanket on the floor and then sitting a ways back and leaning forward repeatedly to interact and play with her!!!!  As long as you enjoy doing it and are pleased with the results, any activity can be used to enrich your life and that of your family.
  • Options

i say, just remember, it took you 9 months to put it on, it is normal for it to take at least 9 months to take it off! 

when you wake up in the middle of the night to feed the baby, dont feed yourself as well - when your body normally stores 20% of what you eat as fat stores during the day, if you eat something at night, it normally stores 40% as fat.

• Options
    I have been told that something, ANYTHING is better than nothing.  On those days you feel like doing absolutely nothing, take a walk, play with the baby or even just commit to doing simple things in the house during a commercial break.  Most times these short stents will encourage me to go longer. And on the days that it doesn't, I know that the several 3 min. bursts were better for me than sitting on the couch.  And on the days that you do get in a great workout, be proud and take in time to really get in tune with how great you feel!
  • Options
    Don't watch TV all day! With my first it felt like I was nursing all day long and so I sat and watched TV all day long while I nursed. The second time around we didn't have cable set up and I was always up with one of the kids. Also, walking walking walking! I would pack them into the double stroller and walk at least 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes. It worked wonders! Breastfeeding can help but not if you're eating junk food all day. And give yourself time. It wont come off over night. If you can stay positive, you will be more likely to start a workout routine once your baby isn't attached to you 24/7. Last but not least, use the Belly Bandit! It is wonderful!!! :)
  • Options
    THE BEST FITNESS/HEALTH TIP TO GET BACK INTO SHAPE

YOU NEED TO START BEFORE YOU GET PREGNANT  IF YOU'RE NOT INTO FITNESS THEN; START SLOW DURING YOUR PREGNANCY SUCH AS (52 CARD PICK UP).  52 CARD PICK UP IS A SQUATING EXERCISE WHERE OF COURSE YOU TOSS A DECK OF CARDS ON THE FLOOR AND PRACTICE DOING SQUATS AS YOU PICK THEM UP.  
    DOING SQUATS WORKS OUT THE GLUTES, HAMSTRINGS, QUADS, LOWER BACK AND EVEN YOUR BALANCE!  CONCENTRATE ON BREATHING AND FORM.  THIS EXERCISE WORKS THE BIGGEST MUSCLES IN YOUR BODY WHICH IS NECESSARY POST-NATAL.  
    DON'T FORGET TO STRETCH AND YOU'LL BE SET TO START YOUR EXERCISE REGIME ESPECIALLY ON A LOW BUDGET LIKE ME

• Options

I always tried to remind myself of the long term goals and repercussions. Sure I craved chocolate and ice cream much more - but I tried to keep in mind that I was feeding someone other than myself, and I want him to have healthy habits in life - so I might as well start now.?

I also tried to keep in mind how much better I'd feel post-pregnancy if I could get down to my original weight and size faster and easier - and what better way to do that than not getting too far off track to begin with!

Finally - when I craved sweets, I'd chew gum. It was usually the taste I was going for, and I ended up not ingesting all that extra sugar.?

• Options
    since i am breastfeeding every 1.5-2 hours, sometimes i get hungry after i feed the baby at night.  i just drink a whole cup of nonfat milk to keep the hunger pangs at bay in the middle of the night.
  • Options

I really enjoy going for a walk with my husband and dog!!  My little dog has lots of energy so he is great to keep me going! 

I've also heard that breastfeeding is a good way to help lose weight right afterwards!

BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    This will be my third baby and what I found that works is spin class. Find one with really good music. I won't kid you it is really hard but you will feel great afterwards,with great results. Combine it with a local stroller strides class and you should feel better fast! 
  • Options
    It was worth making a small investment to have a few personal training sessions while I was pregnant to motivate and give me some specific exercises & routines I could follow that were safe.  After I had my baby, I breastfeed, walked & continued to eat organic nutritional food, as you need to do while you are pregnant too, & I weigh less than I ever have now! I love wearing size 4, sometimes 2, clothes.  My baby is 13 months and I lost the weight in just over a month, praise God! :) 
  • Options

I started my exercise with a mild routine doing a pilates workout and using an excercise/balance ball which helped with core excercises used to target abdominal, back muscles, which I also used for great stretches and stability.  I slowly started a moderate exercise routine by using a mini floor trampouline for a cardiovascular workout, bouncing, jogging, jumping jacks, etc.  It really worked as it got my heart rate up, but gentle to my feet & shins.  I added small hand weights 2-3 lbs each that I used with my balance ball to target toning my biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, etc.  My workout routines were great since I didn't need to leave home and could do them within eyesight of my newborn.  My initial target was to fit into a size 4, but I actually could get into a size 2 and I ended up losing about 20 lbs.  I later became a gym member.

• Options
    Eat lots of fruits and raw vegetables, small amonts at a time and walk as much as you can. This is what I am going to do...hopefully. I have planned to work out during pregnancy or try to eat healthy but I have had hyperemesis. I am 29-week now and still have nausea with wreching 5-10 times a day so I haven't had energy to work out and pretty much eat whatever I can sqeeze down and whenever I can do it. Good luck to all of you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I ran @ the track while my son was at football practice until I was about 20 weeks pregnant.I noticed I was slowing down and running less laps and was tiring easily.At that time, I switched to both walking and jogging slowly.(whatever my energy level was) My Dr.approved due to the fact that I had been so active before my pregnancy& he also told me that it would also help in my labor.It DID!! I only pushed for 4 minutes &our Little princess was in our arms.After the baby was born and when she was about 4 months old, i am back at my son's football practice& running again! I am taking my time and building up slowly to running like i did before I was pregnant.I think the Greatest Reward of my Weight Loss is that I am still Breastfeeding& my 3rd Child(daughter) is 7 months old.Each pregnancy,I have been lucky& bounced back pretty fast.Breastfeeding helps as long as you replenish your body with Pre-natal Vitamins&plenty of fluids.
  • Options
    keeping active all pregnancy long definately helps with those pesky pregnancy symptoms, makes delivery move more smoothly, and gives you a jump start on getting back into those non-elastic waisted pants that are waiting for you! My hubby and I spend a lot of our days off hiking or walking our two dogs on the trails around our town. I plan on continuing these day treks with the addition of baby post delivery. They also have alot of videos and books out there that incorporate the baby into exercises, you get double duty of a workout and a bonding session....and with life being so busy post baby, anytime you can do two things at once is a bonus!
  • Options

I'd say watching what you eat is number one.  I don't mean cutting drastic calories.  I'd say make sure every bite you take in is nutrient rich and make sure that you don't go over the number of calories that you need for your lifestyle.  If you exercise, breastfeed and are active around the house, make sure that you are eating enough but not over the amount that you should be taking in.   I've used Sparkpeople.com before to track my eating and give me a ballpark on my meals. 

Walking with a stroller is about the easiest way to get active again.  Plus your resistance builds as your baby grows.  Your workout can keep "growing" with you!  Also, I'd say try to fit some strength training in.  If you don't make sure you have muscle, you will have trouble burning fat.  When my son naps, I try to fit in some pushups, ab workouts, squats with hand weights and lunges.  Even a few could help you get those muscles in shape and ready to burn some extra calories for you! :) 

• Options
    eating for two doesn't mean stuff your face non-stop!  It's an easy trap to fall into!  300 extra calories/day for pregnancy and 500 extra while breastfeeding.  Stay mindful of your eating habits.
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options
    I'm simple: I eat healthy and I will start exercising once I am given the green light.  That is how I lost with Harm and am dropping with the cupcakes.  I really believe taking the time to care for myself helps the most.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    You love doing yoga at home but you're unsure about positions that may be harmful to you or your baby? Buy a yoga DVD specialized for pregnancy! :)
  • Options
    I use to weigh about 240 lbs. Now i weigh excactly 200lbs and still keepin up my routine to loose more weight. my son is now 2 months old and growing. The only thing I did was change up my eating habbits just a little. In the morning i would eat a bowl of special k cereal, lunch anything i wanted to eat, and dinner a salad. I would even sometimes switch lunch and dinner: I would eat anything  I wanted for dinner and at lunch i would have a salad. On the weekends me and my husband eat out (restaurants, fastfood) I eat any where i want to eat on saturday and sunday. If you et hungry during the day be sure to buy healthy snacks like the 100 calorie packs from hostess (twinkies,chocolate cupcakes) they really taste good. Ranch w/carrots, Apples w/peanutt butter, or granola bars. Even baked potatoe chips or cheetoes buy the big bag to save and bag them in ziplock bags to limit yourself. Me and my huband take a stroll to the park every tuesday and thursday we enjoy the excercise and the alone time. Its worked very well for me and I love the way i feel and look. :) YAY!!!
  • Options
    Maintain a healthy diet before and after the baby and remember to keep stretching.  I also walked religiously prior to giving birth and I massaged my stomach muscles after my baby was born.  Breast-feeding also helped me to drop the pounds like crazy!  Once the baby is born the mall is a great place to take your baby for a ride in the stroller if it is too hot out.... otherwise, hit up the nearest park or take walks with your baby around the neighborhood :)
  • Options

Pilates to get the ab muscles back in shape. Muscles burn more calories than fat, so building up core muscles not only makes you look tighter and thinner, it also helps you burn more calories even when resting.

• Options
    I am 11 weeks pregnant with my 1st baby. My mom has been a great fitness role model for me. She has had 3 home births and stayed in excellent shape during all her pregnancies. She actually won an ab contest months after her third baby! She has encouraged me to stay active everyday, knowing it will pay off like it did for her and her 3 healthy children! My tip to share is something I have yet to try. My mom bought me the "Tracy Anderson Method - Post-Pregnancy Workout DVD." Tracy Anderson is a personal trainer for celebrity moms like Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow. I can't wait to try it and know I will be needing it! It is so practical for new moms because you don't have to leave the house to get in shape!
  • Options
    I used my baby sling with my newborn. He rested nicely while I walked on my treadmill. We both enjoyed it. I just couldn't walk for more than half an hour or he got too hot. It was a great way to get a little walking in during the winter in Wisconsin!
  • Options

Walk, walk, walk!

Enlist a friend, your husband, a family member and hit the neighborhood for a daily stroll during your pregnancy. After the baby arrives, grab that stroller and keep up the routine with the baby. It's a great way to get out of the house, relieve some stress and shed that baby weight!

• Options
    Walk EVERYWHERE! Park your car in the very last spot of the lot, take the stairs, go for walks with your baby in the stroller.
  • Options
    Walking with your baby is a great way to exercise.  I also plan on going to the gym (they have a nursery) and get back to my yoga and pilates classes.  They really help tone up different areas of the body. 
  • Options
    My birthing instructor taught me how to exercise on the yoga ball, aka birthing ball...There are lots of variations and it helps your back pain!  I also live on the second floor so I do at least 10 flights of stairs a day just by regular housework and running errands.  I also have two dogs and just taking them for a walk every other day keeps me active!
  • Options

Everything is best in moderation... If you don't have the energy to hit the gym 5 days a week, (who does, right?!?) try to take a walk outside with baby and husband, and use nap time to pop in a fitness DVD.  I've found that changing things up a bit really helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"