Parenting
Options

Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

Re: Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

• Options

DON'T FEEL GUILTY if you haven't shed your baby weight and you are surrounded by "advice" about how to do it. 

Honestly, if you are serious about your health and eating habits, talk to your doctor about a healthy program for YOU.  Choose a healthy diet, and ignore "fads" and "tips" like these.  YOU KNOW what is best for you.  Talk to your doctor before starting an exercise routine.  And don't be so critical of yourself.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm pretty sure my "secret" will be trying to keep up with a very busy 2 year old while caring for a newborn and breastfeeding. 

I'm also sure that getting out on runs or somewhere to exercise will be a great Mommy escape!  Big Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think walking during the whole pregnancy has helped me a lot.  During the first trimester, when I felt sick and exhausted, it was hard to force myself to get out and do it, but I always felt better after.  The second trimester was a breeze.  The third trimester has been a little more difficult, but I just keep encouraging myself to walk for just a little bit, if only to get my energy level up naturally for a period of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Start an exercise program before you get pregnant.  Keep it up during the entire pregnancy, and it will be much easier to work out after baby is born.  Take time for yourself.  A healthy mom is a happy mom.
  • Options

going for walks with baby

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yoga, yoga, yoga!!!

It is great all-purpose exercise that you can do at different stages of your pregnancy and post-pregnancy, and all other times of course, for different purposes.  In my first trimester, like now, I do a fast-paced 'flow' yoga class - and this class is also great for taking off weight after baby is born.  In second trimester I'll use modifications to make certain poses safer, and take more breaks during class so as to not make it too strenuous.  In the third trimester, I'll switch to either a relaxing hatha yoga class with lots of meditation, or a prenatal yoga class - or both!

Make sure that you take class from an instructor that is knowlegable about anatomy, and is aware that you are either pregnant or postpartum.  He/she will be able to show you poses that are great for your current situation, and protect you from stuff that could possibly hurt you.

Yoga is great - relaxation, body-focus, and at the same time you 'get out of your head' and just focus on breathing and moving.  Highly recommended.

• Options
    Have a Biggest Loser with your husband (especially if he put on the sympathy pounds like mine did) or even your girlfriends. You will be suprised at what a little competition does for motivation!
  • Options
    The best motivation for me is to include my DH! ?Of course, after baby we will include her too! ?Whether you go to the gym or out for a walk - if you do it as a family it will STICK long term and help you in the long run the most! ?Cleaning the house counts too! ?You can add little moments of exercise every day just by practicing good posture, squatting and lunging when picking up toys, and lifting your baby! ?The more you include your husband, the more support you will have to keep going and stick to it in the long run!
  • Options
    I am an avid lover of yoga. Pre-Pregnancy you can take it how ever far you'd like, I used to sweat buckets and feel absolutely amazing afterward.  It is a whole body and mind workout. During pregnancy, you can modify your positions with each trimester.  Not to mention the breathing practices of yoga are great for when it's time to deliver your baby.  Post-Pregnancy you can even take Mommy and me Yoga classes which incorporates your baby into your practice.  Gotta love an exercise you can do before, during, and after!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Remember to switch the arm you carry your infant seat on when carrying your baby in their seat. You will get fabulously toned upper arms and shoulders just from running errands and taking baby in and out of the car!

• Options
    The best tip I have heard is about how much time you spend working out. Two fifteen minute walks are just as good as one thirty minute walk, not to mention are much easier to do when you are busy. Also, doing things that don't feel like "working out"- walking the dog, swimming, playing with the kids, etc. Just because you aren't running on a treadmill doesn't mean you aren't burning calories!
  • Options
    Set realistic goals and use baby activity for mom activity time too. Double duty work outs like walks and such.
  • Options
    Have a workout buddy, even if that means your DH.  It really helps to have someone push you on the days that your motivation fails.
  • Options
    I walk the dogs for 30+ minutes every day along with prenatal yoga.  It is doing wonders to relax me.
  • Options
    Remember, "you are what you eat," so... my tip is to stock the fridge with tons of healthy snacks because you won't have time to cook or eat a sit down meal and if you're breastfeeding you will be very hungry!
  • Options
    My main problem is motivation, so I work to remember that I am modeling good habits for my daughter.  I want her to have an active lifestyle, and who better to learn from than her mom? Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Get your DH or partner involved in your pregnancy fitness! It's an important time to find new ways to bond. Whether it's a stroll around the block, relaxing yoga at home (and hey, your partner can be a good spotter for when you're sporting and extra large belly!), or a session at the gym, try to find time to workout together.  You will not only feel better about yourself and your body (or bloat!), but have the support from your partner and be spending quality time together. 
  • Options

The best way I gear myself up for a new workout plan is to go shopping! Cute new workout clothes and a new clean pair of workout shoes really help motivate me to get to the gym. If I feel I look good, I have the confidence to tackle the gym! Start with a slow 30 minute workout and build yourself up each week to where you are comfortable!

Good luck!

• Options
    Don't use pregnancy as an excuse to become lazy.  Keep an exercise routine and set realistic goals.  Find a workout buddy (yes, even your DH!) to help keep each other motivated - I meet my DH at the gym 2-3 days every week and we workout TOGETHER.  Instead of playing solitaire on my breaks at work, I go for a walk.  Any little bit helps! 

• Options
    When I don't feel like getting a workout in I make a deal with myself: I make myself start my workout, if after 10 minutes into it I still don't feel like I can/want do the workout I give myself permission to quit, guilt free. I haven't quit once and have run over 400 miles since getting pregnant! I'll be running a half marathon at 6 months pregnant and I feel absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    Stay active, even if it?s only cleaning the house. You just need to move your body.  Turn off the TV and put on some music, your body will follow.

Slimming down isn?t only healthy; it also allows you to keep your sanity. 

Happy and healthy!
    Paradise
  • Options

I try to my best to stay healthy by working out through my pregnancy, walking on the treadmill 4 times a week for 40 minutes on my lunch break. After I have the baby I plan on continuing to exercise at the gym, breastfeed and also walk with the baby as much as possible (as long as the weather cooperates).

Also I have been maintaining healthy eating habits (lots of veggies and some fruit) during pregnancy and after the baby has arrived. This will help pass on nutrients to the baby but also keep me healthy as a new mom at the same time. I love being pregnant, but I also look forward to getting back to the old me.

• Options
    Post Pregnancy tip - Include the baby in your excercise regimen. It will benefit you and the baby and also give you some extra bonding time!
  • Options
    I asked my husband for help!  He goes to the gym regularly and will invite me along with him.  Although it is a really small thing having him ask me to go makes me want to do it even more! 
  • Options

I would say walking or/and swimming is great after the baby comes. I also heard that breastfeeding helps with the weight loss. I've seen couple of people just losing all their weight with breastfeeding.

Excercising during pregnancy also helps, even if you are just walking at least 30 minutes a day and possibly swimming.

Pregnancy%20ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Simple things like walking help so much!  Don't park in the "expectant moms" or "moms with infants" slots when shopping.  Park at the far end and walk.  It may only be an extra minute or two, but it is still exercise.  And stairs, if you don't have a stroller!
  • Options

My husband and I have committed to walking after he comes home from work at night when it cools off.

And I work to have at least 40% of all my meals be veggies.

Other than that the best thing for me so far has been drinking even more water than I normally did pre-pregnancy. I find that I sleep better, my joints feel better and I have fewer headaches. Hopefully it is something I can continue after birth and beyond cause I feel fantastic!

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Every little bit counts! If you're feeling discouraged during your pregnancy, remember that anything you do now will help you post-delivery (and even during!). If you don't feel like doing 40-60 minutes on the eliptical, bike for 20 minutes or take a walk around the block, knowing it was better than doing nothing at all!
  • Options
    My best advice would be to strap baby in a baby carrier (wear baby), and go about your daily routine cleaning and caring for other children. It's like having a built in weight. I know with 3 other children finding time to do a excercise regime would be hard, but this way I could incorporate excercise into my daily routine.
  • Options
    If your stamina isn't what it used to be try micro workouts. Do 10-15 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a day.  This way you won't be stressing your body too much but you'll still get a workout in.  It will also help perk up those times in the day when you'd reach for a coffee.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You will experience some physical symptoms during your pregnancy, but look on the bright side!

Your frequent need to pee helps with working those quads and glutes as you sit down and get up from that toilet seat; morning sickness helps firm your abs and you dry heave; and a good sex life helps tone everything else! You'll be stronger at the end of your pregnancy than you ever though possible.

Oh, and I hear walking 10 minutes every day can be a good thing. Wink?

• Options
    I have been told that not eating everything in sight is a good way to keep some of that unwanted weight away. Also, walking everyday that you can is good for mind and body. I can't wait to feel up to that walking everyday thing, but when I do, I am going to wear out a pair of sneakers or two!!!
  • Options
    Yoga is the most amazing exercise routine ever!  Not only do you get those nice lean muscles but you also develop some major flexibility!  I find that I do much better in a class but I know some people who practice yoga on their own at home with a DVD.
  • Options
    Start out as soon as you get the ok from the doctor.  Low impact exercises such as swimming can be a great way to ease back into an exercise routine.  As you get stronger you can mix up the workouts by incorporating other exercises such as walking and then running, etc.
  • Options
    Walking throughout my pregnancy and eating healthy helped to keep my weight gain under control. Have a plan before your delivery on how you are going to lose the weight afterwards to get back in shape. Make sure your partner also understands this plan, like time you need to go to the gym or workout by yourself at home. My plan was I would start walking daily 2-3 weeks postpartum and get back to the gym 6 weeks postpartum. As for diet, I would return to a high fruit/veg/lean protein based diet and lay off the snacks and bad carbs. Within 6 months I had lost all the baby weight (35 lbs) by following this plan. I walked everyday I could with my baby in his stroller. This time quickly became not just about me losing weight but about our special time together and something that even now my son still looks forward to. Every morning we take our walk and he is so happy and so am I.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Breastfeeding(if you can) and walking with your baby everyday.  Both of you will benefit from it!
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My best tip is to wake up before the baby does for the day and squeeze in a workout.  Otherwise, the day's events and the baby's needs end up taking away all of your energy making it hard to squeeze in a workout.
  • Options

I know it sounds too simple, but walk as often as you can. I live in a walking town (NYC) and having to walk everywhere and take the many steps into and out of the subway has helped me keep muscle tone and my weight gain to a reasonable amount--even though I haven't been able to make it to the gym.

If you're in the suburbs, go for an indoor walk at the mall, take the stairs, and, when possible, park you car far out in the parking lot for a little extra workout. Remember, though, to always have water on hand and to stop if you feel winded.  Even if there isn't a real chair or bench to rest on, take my doctor's advice and sit down anywhere (even on the floor!)  Better a dirty bottom than falling down with baby on (or in?) board.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have found Yoga to be extremely helpful before and during my pregnancy.  It strengthens your muscles, promotes muscle control and awareness, and overall positive health.  Eating well is always a great tip as well.  Nothing tastes better than fresh food!
  • Options
    Nutrition is just as important as the fitness portion.  I am early in my pregnancy so the bloat I am experiencing is terrible!  I have found that eating healthy makes me feel so much better during the day and it gives me the energy to be active.  I try to do little things, such as taking my dogs for a walk every day.  I do not use the excuse that I am eating for two people!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"