2nd Trimester

How much do you have to pay out of pocket for your hospital stay?

Re: How much do you have to pay out of pocket for your hospital stay?

• $500 a night, capped at $2,500.

ugh.

oh, plus $50 copay to the ob.

• imageJen&Louie:

imagetantandancr@yahoo.com:
    I have to say that I am lucky. My entire pregnancy is 100% completely paid for. I don't even pay a co-pay when I go into my monthly appointment.

Thankfully, same for me.

This!

The ONE good thing about DH being in the military is that all of our health care is free, mind you it's not the best health care. The only thing we pay for at the hospital is for our meals.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay a $50 copay when I go in and EVERYTHING is included (even anesthesia, extras, c-section, anything that pops up AND the circumcision!)

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Honestly...$15 a day.
  • My max out of pocket is $1500.  So far I haven't paid anything not even a copay for anything I have had done.
  • If you haven't already, call your insurance to ask, becuase you dont' want to be shocked when you get a big bill in the end!  Mine is $2000 max out of pocket for the year, with a $250 deductible AND $200 in maternity (prenatal services) for the calendar year.  So, for me, out of pocker is $2450, BUT this does not include the services for the baby.  You need to make sure your baby is covered also (if you already don't have family insurance).  There's a single and family cap, so the family cap might be more.

Also, if you deliver in January or later, you might have to do your deductible AGAIN for next year for services rendered next year. To complicate things, not all services for me are billed under the $200 maternity coverage.  Things like the prescreening test fall under the $250 deductible, so it can be confusing!  talk to your insurance company and make sure they lay it all for you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelacikirkman:
    I definatley think you ladies should make sure you are only paying these small amounts- I have a 500/year deductible with a so called max of 1500 a year- when I had my baby in 2008 I paid over 6000 for a vaginal delivery with an epicural, circumsicion. And I have really good insurance- so just be sure!

I am sorry to tell you paying 6k to have a baby vaginally is not good insurance! It probably would have cost the same to just pay out of pocket no insurance and then you could save your monthly insurance bill to pay for your drs

I pay nothing no labs no copay nothing at the hospital no matter what happens and my pediatrician is covered tell we add LO

• Does anyone here have an 80/20 type plan?  So far I haven't been paying copays for my prenatal visits, it's been roughly 80/20 for the lab stuff and office visits. 

For my first visit it was a little over $100 and I should be getting another one for about $250 soon I think from my second visit which is when we had our first ultrasound just to see the heartbeat.  

Called my insurance company today to ask about how much I could may expect for total costs but all they'd tell me is what my max out of pocket was.  Obviously I already knew that, and last year after having my gall bladder removed, I still didn't even reach my max out of pocket. 

Anyone seem to have a similar coverage as me?  

• We will not have to pay anything, but we pay out the nose for it every month. Like about $500 for my husband and I.
  • My OOP cost to my OB is $2000 which I have been paying monthly since my first appt. It was the same OOP expense for my delivery with my son, however, he was in the NICU for 23 days and his OOP expense was $1500.
  • I am only responsible until I reach my deductible - so 2K max out-of-pocket per calendar year.
  • imagetantandancr@yahoo.com:
    I have to say that I am lucky. My entire pregnancy is 100% completely paid for. I don't even pay a co-pay when I go into my monthly appointment.

Mine is completely free as well, but has nothing to do with any insurance. I'm not in the US now and I luckily have access to the NHS. I even get free dental up to 12 months after the baby is born.

Not a bad deal, IMHO.

• imageMrsRebecca:

imagelacikirkman:
    I definatley think you ladies should make sure you are only paying these small amounts- I have a 500/year deductible with a so called max of 1500 a year- when I had my baby in 2008 I paid over 6000 for a vaginal delivery with an epicural, circumsicion. And I have really good insurance- so just be sure!

Why do you just assume everyone has no idea what they are talking about or how their insurance works?

To be fair, I don't think this person intended to imply that the PP (or anyone) didn't have any idea what they were talking about. To me it sounds like a friendly caution (based on her own experience) that if you aren't 100%, you should check.

• I don't have insurance so I'm going to be paying about 4K!:) ?Lucky me!
  • $0

I work for a hospital and I must give birth at my hospital to have it covered

• I have a $750 deductible and then I have to pay 20%.  I was told between 3000-5000 is what I have to pay.  I have been saving money like crazy but I still think after all is said and done I will only be able to take 6 weeks maternity leave because that is unpaid at my work.  Sad
  • on my first doctor visit was $20 and my hospital co pay will be $200 out of pocket.
  • We payed $600 out of pocket, and the hospital let us pay $60 a month for a 10 month period. That was with epidural, no c-section.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • $350 deductible for me and baby, so $750.. and then $100 copay for my maternity stay/appointments.. and that includes all my prenatal visits, so i haven't paid anything yet- everything is due at time of delivery!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have to pay $2200 just for the hospital delivery. They put us on a payment plan on our very first visit.  They want everything paid in advance so you don't have to worry about paying later I guess.
  • it will be between 2500 and 5000. It goes by calender year so if I have LO in 2009 no problem, but if it goes 2009-2010 we'll get double spanked.
  • Thank God for Tricare.... As a previous poster said, I guess this is one good thing about DH being in the military. We haven't paid a dime for this pregnancy, nor will we.
  • Everything depends on the type of plan you have.  I have a $6,000 deductible and after I meet that (all out of pocket) then everything is covered 100%.  I might be paying medical bills for the rest of my life... 

• I'll be paying $250.
  • My BF also happens to be a coworker so we have the same insurance.  Delivering her daughter in May cost her $700 OOP.  Much less than I was anticipating!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We have to pay for everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had 100% coverage , then I quit my job due to a really bad boss and manager, we were prepared to pay for cobra, and then after I left the really bad boss changed ins companies and I lost all my ins ! He's a small biz owner so he's not required to cover us with cobra !

The gyn was $4500.

The emerg. visit to the hospital that we thought was something and turned out to be nothing was $2,000. no stay just heart monitor and ultrasound !

The hospital prepay is 1875. a day (baby and mom) to be paid 60 days before due date !

If I need a c-sec it's 4,500. 2 day stay 

Epi. is 1,275. to be paid 30 days before due date !

So count your blessings ladies ! I'm due in a month and my husband was outta work for 2 months over the summer ! MONEYS TIGHT !!

• I have to pay $500.00 out of my pocket. Also i had a co-pay of $10 for the first 10 prenatal visit.
  • The beauty of the Canadian healthcare system is that absolutely everything is covered.
  • You have to pay to have a baby in The States? In Alberta, Canada we have Alberta Health Care which most companies pay for monthly for employees.. Everything is covered 100% by AHC.

I feel for you ladies to have to pay up to 2000$! Like you want to worry about that when your trying to save up for the cost of having a child!

• In the end, we paid about $500-600 for everything.  DS's was 100% covered.  My insurance plan is 90/10...we pay 10%, they pay 90%.  It varies by area too.  I've seen some people get charged $1000 for a procedure where it was billed $100 for us.

Keep in mind the hospital bills you, the OB bills you, then the pedi bills you.   Plus I had a few other random bills like circumcision, plancenta culture, etc that were billed separately for some reason.

• I have double coverage, I am covered my insurance through my work and then we added me to DH's policy as well.  I was told we'll pay $0 because what one doesn't cover, the other will.  Hopefully my twins won't need NICU time and will be healthy enough to come home right away and then we won't have to pay that either.   
  • Mine is all paid for because I'm going to Tripler (army hospital).
  • Thanks to my husbands fantastic insurance, we paid nothing.
  • That's about what we paid too
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageVuja_de:
    imagenemtown:

You better save more than that. I paid about $4000 total. You pay for your stay AND your baby's stay. Then your anesthesiologist if you get an epi, plus your doctor (he/she charges separately), plus a circ if you have a boy. I thnk that's it.

I have 75/25 coverage. The actual bill was over $12,000 just for me!!! Good news is that you probably won't have to pay for anything else medically for the rest of the year, so if DH wants surgery, tell him to go for it!  :)

Good luck. I'm still paying for my L&D at 4 months PP.

Acutally anything OVER $2,000.00 is covered 100% by my insurance, so I am only responsible for $2,00.00

$2000 for me then I'm covered at 100% but LO is his own person kina like DH so he can have his own $2000 but it looks like his bill will be clower to $1000 (It hasn't all come in yet)  If I had gone with the Epi the anishesia would have been extra since it's not in network good thing I went natural.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • We have a $2,000 deductible for our family.  However, after we reach the first thousand, my company pays the second thousand.  We've paid about $800 of our thousand so far. 
  • well our first insurance is a $2500 deductable. We paid 1500 of that , then my husband changed job, which pays more and has a lower deductable of 1000, so we still end up paying $2500, with the old insurance they covered 80% after the deductable. the new insurance I am not sure yet, it just started in september
  • My pregnancy will only cost my co-pay - $30. I paid that one time at my first pre-natal appointment and I don't have to pay anything above and beyond that for my hospital stay or anything else related to the pregnancy. If I go back to my OB for something unrelated to the pregnancy (like a yeast infection or something) then I just have to pay another $30 co-pay.

• imagebakershaker:

You have to pay to have a baby in The States? In Alberta, Canada we have Alberta Health Care which most companies pay for monthly for employees.. Everything is covered 100% by AHC.

I feel for you ladies to have to pay up to 2000$! Like you want to worry about that when your trying to save up for the cost of having a child!

Which is why many of us are pushing for this health care legislation to pass, so pregnant women can focus on saving for their babies, not the costs to just help bring them safely into this world!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"