Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

My Child Swallowed Windex (a bit long)

Okay DD is fine, but on Thursday night she swallowed some windex so I figured I would tell the story here in case anything similar happens to someone else.

DH was cooking dinner, DD was in the arms of the au pair, I was at a work function.  Anyway DD grabbed the bottle of windex from the counter top and the au pair immediately went to grab it from her arms but DD's grasp was really strong as she was prying it away DD got a face full of windex in a giant stream while her mouth was open.  Apparently it all happened so fast and no one knew how much she ingested.  DH immediately called the emergency number and they sent an ambulance.  In the mean time they were told to do the following:

- Wash DD face with water (Duh)

- Try to rinse out her mouth with water. (Impossible as she was hysterical)

- Try to get her to eat greasy/fatty food.  (Even more impossible and made her so upset she vomited everything she had eaten in the past 24 hours).

Ambulance came very quickly and rushed her to the children's hospital.  At this point they realize she probably ingested very little and they weren't concerned about that but they were concerned about the vomiting and the possibility that some of it went in her lungs, apparently there was a risk of pneumonia developing and also for esophageal lesions.  They were also concerned about her eyesight as her eyes were extremely puffy and irritated.  They decided to keep her overnight for observation as her breathing was heavy when she finally fell asleep.  They debated whether to put an IV in her in case of emergency during the night but thankfully decided to pass as she was sleeping peacefully.

So DD and I spent the night at Children's hospital.  Mercifully she woke up screaming from hunger around 1 am and polished off 16 oz of milk.  At which point the nurses told me that she was probably fine if she was drinking like that.  DD then slept until 8:30am at which point she woke groggy but totally fine.  Luckily from her on in things were fine.  Besides DD's irritated eyes everything is okay and even they looked almost 100% normal today.  The hospital was amazing and DD absolutely loved all the attention, new (for her) toys that they loaned us, the fun nurses who cut her sandwich into cute shapes and especially the duck themed bathroom with the coolest most enormous baby bath tub I have seen.  When she was discharged the next afternoon she didn't want to leave.  I am now kind of reassured knowing that if ever heaven forbid something else where to happen to DD there is such an amazing children's hospital nearby but obviously I never need to set foot in that place again.

DH, the au pair, and I all felt so guilty about being so careless.  All and all it was an incredibly scary experience with thankfully ended rather harmlessly but it gave us a major wake up call about how quickly accidents can happen even if 99.9% of the time you are really cautious. 

Re: My Child Swallowed Windex (a bit long)

• Options
    Poor thing! I am so glad she's okay, that must have been so scary! Try not to feel too guilty, accidents happen.
  • Options
    How scary!  Glad she is OK.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow! I'm so glad she's okay!  Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    Poor thing.   I'm glad to hear that she is okay, that must have been so scarey for you guys. 
  • Options

Wow, I'm glad she's ok.

I can totally see DD trying to do something like that. 

DD#1 4/3/2008 TTC in 2012
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  Honestly the one time the windex was out she got to it, I am sure she saw the spray bottle and thought it was like the spray bottle she plays with in the tub.  We all felt so guilty, I just hope our scare encourages everyone to be all the more careful.
  • Options
    How scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay. I bet it was a rough night.
  • Options

I'm glad she's okay!

It's amazing how strong these children are, though. When Morgan has a grip on something and I want to take it, it's not easy to pry it from her fingers.

• Options

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to your dd.

On a side note, I think it is funny that Newlywed used this post as her example to justify her own post from last night (see post about her friend).

• Options
    Please dont feel guilty! It was up on a counter, not in her toy bin or crib. I probably have some cleaner on our kitchen counter right now because I was wiping down to countertop a few minutes ago. This was a freak accident and your DD is fine so let it go :). Im sorry this happened though and im glad to hear she is ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"