Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If your lo has/had reflux I have ?'s

M had reflux and was on meds until she was about 6-7 months old. Her gi dr determined that she didn't need it anymore and she's been relatively ok since 7 months or so. 

The last few nights her sleep has gotten progressively worse (up every 15 minutes-1hr an looking to nurse) and the screaming at night has escalated to holy moses status. I'm surprised no one has called cps on us because of the screaming. She's also arching so far back that if she were a contortionist, we'd be rich. It's only at night really and occasionally during daytime naps that she does this. 

She never did this behavior when she was teething before. So I don't think it's caused by teething and tylenol/motrin has not helped one bit.  

Did your lo's reflux make a return appearance? Was it just a flare up? Do you think it warrants a call to the gi dr? Regular pedi? Any other ideas? 

Re: If your lo has/had reflux I have ?'s

• No, DS was fine once he started sitting up and eating more table food.  But he didn't have reflux as badly as your DD -- he didn't need meds. 

Hmmmm - I wonder what is causing her that discomfort.  I would take her to your pedi to check it out.

• It does sound like you lo's refulx has returned.  Our DD didn't get off the reflux meds until she was almost 12 months. At that time the pedi warned us that DD might have it come back to just watch for it. You really should call your pedi and see what they say.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, call the dr and ask her/him if you should call your gi. 

DD took meds and I was on a dairy free diet to nurse.  I slowly introduced dairy back in my diet and slowly into hers.  I also slowly weaned her off her meds all at about 7-8 months.  Did you wean the meds or stop cold turkey?  Was dairy restricted and are you slowly introducing?  I could see an abrupt starting a pattern.  Otherwise I am not sure why this would happen. 

ETA:  Just saw that this has been okay for about 4 months so I don't know why.  DD's reflux never reappeared

• imagelissaholly:

Yes, call the dr and ask her/him if you should call your gi. 

DD took meds and I was on a dairy free diet to nurse.  I slowly introduced dairy back in my diet and slowly into hers.  I also slowly weaned her off her meds all at about 7-8 months.  Did you wean the meds or stop cold turkey?  Was dairy restricted and are you slowly introducing?  I could see an abrupt starting a pattern.  Otherwise I am not sure why this would happen. 

ETA:  Just saw that this has been okay for about 4 months so I don't know why.  DD's reflux never reappeared

Dairy was never restricted from her diet, but I did restrict it on my own before she was on solids. It made no difference. I did introduce it slowly into her diet when she started solids and I did not see a difference in her until a few nights ago.

• Yes, our LO was on reflux meds up until 6 months when we thought he was over it (eating more "solids"), but the same thing happened to him (screaming, arching back, no sleep).  We put him back on the med for another 3 months and the back arching/screaming stopped.  We took him off again at 9 months (slowly weaned) and he's been fine.  Good luck!
  • Trust your instincts, if it sounds and feels like reflux it probably is.. we weaned off the prevacid at 7 months and there were many times since then that I thought maybe he still had it - particularly because he is a REALLY picky eater and hates food in general (a symptom of reflux in older babies). It wasn't until we went for a follow up appointment with the ENT and they put a little tube/scope with a camera up his nose that sees down his throat (sounds way worse than it is, it only takes a sec) that the ENT told me the redness around his esophogus was minimal, the same amount as it was at 6 months when he was ON prevacid. Only then did I feel confident he'd "beaten" reflux.

I don't know why they don't send more babies to the ENT for reflux (mine was only going because he had a weird airway disorder called laryngomalacia that was causing him to choke) because pedi GIs can't do this test and it was the only thing at 4 months that showed the huge extent of his reflux at the time (massive redness in his esophagus according to the ENT.)

GL, I hope your LO starts feeling better..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"