Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

POLL: How many books do you read to your toddler per day?

My DD is OBSESSED with books lately and wants me to read to her constantly.  I guess it's good that she likes books and hopefully it will last as she gets older but I get SO TIRED of reading the same books over and over again.  Today I kept track - throughout the day I read over 30 books to her.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out a way to cut back or encourage her to read on her own in order to save my sanity!!

Just curious - how much do others read?

Re: POLL: How many books do you read to your toddler per day?

• One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

• My DD loves books too, but she won't let me read to her.  She just loves to sit on my lap and turn the pages or she'll point at different pictures and I'll name what each thing on the page is. We probably do this with 2 or 3 books a day.  The rest of the time she "reads" alone.  I think in any given day she does go through 20 or so books.  I actually even divided her books in to a few different groups so that she would have more than 10 books out at a time and she flipped until I brought them back out.  She loves the variety.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We read 3-4 books before bed, usually rotating through about 10 different books.  It is cool to watch how DS recognizes the books and now laughs when we read them.

We also read throughout the day.  Reading is a good activity to help calm DS.  If he is cranky I will pull out some books and have him sit on my lap and read.  DS also likes books, and he does "read" on his own.  In the morning he will usually sit by his books and flip through the pages. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not so much how many books but how many times do I read the same book a day? lol DD has me read 102 Dalmations to her at least 5 times a day.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Madeleine is book-obsessed, too.  Right now, there are about half a dozen books she DEMANDS me to read.  Over and over and over again.  I finally snapped today, said, "I not reading that again.  It's time to put the books away."  Oh my god.  Dumbest mistake I've ever made.  The wailing, oh the wailing. 

Today was about a D- mommy day for me.

• I always feel like i am doing something wrong - I try to read to DD during the day (always read to her before bedtime) but she is just more interested in playing with the books.  She recognizes certain books - those are usually the ones that have something to touch or has some kind of movement though.  I hope this changes soon - I love to read and I want her to enjoy it too andn I know how important it is for our LOs.

• 3-5 over & over again. I am a Bunny by Richard Scarry is DS's favorite. That book is almost 30 years old & the binding is about to give out:(
  • imageLoriFalce:

One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

Ditto this for us, just replace the title with Oh, David! or Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

• imagejennessey:
    imageLoriFalce:

One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

Ditto this for us, just replace the title with Oh, David! or Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

My husband hid The Bearenstain Bears' A Book because he couldn't get the words out of his head.

• imageLoriFalce:

One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

this. exactly.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Luckily he's just recently started changing his favorite book every few days, but for a good long while we had to read "Alaska 1-2-3" eleventy billion times a day, then it was "Big, Bad Bullybug", then it was "What's Wrong Little Pookie?", now it's "Speedy Little Race Cars".  The difference with him changing his favorite is he still wants his old favorites read occassionally, which is nice from the monotony of one book.  I still read books eleventy billion times a day. . .just not the same one over and over and over and over.

Sisters:  Now and then.

imageimage

Elijah's 1st day of Kindergarten!
  • imageLoriFalce:

One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

Yep.  "It's a Dog Party"! 

• Hooray for Fish - EVERY day, at least once a day.

DD also loves books - we read at least 5 a day, but she "reads" many more by herself every morning. 

• I've never kept track, but DD is also obsessed with books.  I pretty much hate all her books since I can recite all of them by heart!

Have you ever considered doing a book swap?  Some of my mommy friends and I used to each fill a bag with books and swap them for a week.  The variety was nice...and it's free! 

• imageILUVChiTown:
    imageLoriFalce:

One.

Go, Dog, Go.

4364 times.

Yep.  "It's a Dog Party"! 

lol.

Stop dogs, stop. The light is red

Go dogs, go! It's green ahead!

DS is only mildly interested in that one. On the other hand, I can recite Personal Penguin, Belly Button Book, Moo Baa La La La and Not the Hippopotamus without opening the book.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"