Nurseries and Baby Gear

Covering a nursery half moon window. PIP

I have a bedroom similar to this one and am not using it for the nursery even though the vaulted ceilings are beautiful because of the 1/2 moon window. It lets so much sun in and i figure baby needs room darkening shades. Have you seen any creative ways to cover the 1/2 moon? This is creative but doesn't keep the sun out. Thanks!

Re: Covering a nursery half moon window. PIP

• It would help with the sun, if the curtains with blackout.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a smaller half moon window, and we used white posterboard and cut it it in the pattern of the window.  The white posterboard cuts the light, but still allows some light in.  It also blends in with the windowns (we have shutters on the bottom half).  I haven't been able to come up with anything else that has helped.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would get black out curtains in a length long enough that you can hang your rod about 3 inches above the highest point of the window.  You can use tie backs to show off the shape of the window during the day and close them at night/naptime.  The general rule of thumb is to have your total curtain width 3x the width of your window.  HTH.
  • If I wanted the arch to show, I would order a custom fitting shutter.  They are expensive, but they are a long term solution that will last for years.  They also sell those cellular, temporary type coverings for arches that are a lot cheaper.  They aren't room darkening though.

I I didn't care about the arch, I'd make or order extra long curtains and cover the whole thing.  We have eyebrow arches on the front of our house that can not accomodate shutters due to their oblong shape, and I've done this.  The curtains are hung very close to the ceiling, which makes the room feel taller.  It may not work with slanted walls as shown in the picture though.

Another option is to put privacy film over the window.  Most home stores sell the stuff, and you put it on with a special liquid and a squeegee.  They sell it in tints, frosted, opaque, mirror, and designs like stained glass, flowers, etc.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • you can also get a "temp shade" it is called a redi arch. It works great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"