2nd Trimester

Will you put a leash on your child?

HaHa I thought this would be a fun lil post...What do you think about them? You know what Im talking about those things with the monkey or whatever on their back making them look like its a backpack but in reality its a leash LoL...Alright ladies go for it!!

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

First Girl...coming Valentines Day 2014

Re: Will you put a leash on your child?

• I think they're incredibly useless. I just watch my child while we're out and about.
  • I have. No regrets.

Me, on my own, with a newborn and toddler in heathrow airport.

"nuff said  Stick out tongue

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • NEVER.  We have disney passes, so I see kids with these all the time. My favorite are they DIY leashes- some of the kids just have a rope tied around them!

• I once saw a woman single handedly wrangle triplet 3 year olds in a shopping mall with those things.  Not really for me but if I had 3 toddlers I would probably consider it!!!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!
    Rachel

Kylee 9/20/06 Elijah 10/13/07 Adleigh 12/9/09 Micah 12/17/11

• LOL   No!

My child will be well behaved enough that they will not need a leash.  :)

• no, but I am considering a shock collar.  Wink
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Making It Work.

My sweet Bean born 1/9/10
  • I think I have said something about this before. No way would I use a leash. You have to pay attention to what they are doing and teach them as they go.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Missed miscarriage discovered at 16 weeks on 10/11/10. Baby measuring 12 weeks. Natural miscarriage 10/12/10. We will miss you forever. Chemical pregnancy on June 2012.
  • No.  I think it's a lazy parenting crutch.

edit:  I believe this is the case in many situations, but not all.  I will not be using one though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Ugh! My step mom had gotten one for my sister (I was 12 at the time) and I kept telling her that my sister wasn't a dog, and that leashes were for animals!

I will never put my child on a leash...even though I think some people's children at Walmart should put theirs on one!

• I dont know, I think it depends on the kid and how many kids you have. My mom had to with my oldest brother becuase he was always trying to run off and she had 2 babies to attend to as well.

• If my child is a runner then yes I would use them. I do think they are strange. I'd rather look strange than have my child lost. If we would be out in a big public place I would def. have my child on a leash. Better safe then sorry.
  • image ablou:
    no, but I am considering a shock collar.  Wink

Yes

• image cara_swinney:
    I think they're incredibly useless. I just watch my child while we're out and about.

Using these doesn't mean we don't watch our children.  My husband works crazy hours so I"m often by myself and it's not so easy to push a stroller or cart and have a toddler trying to run too.

Rachel

Kylee 9/20/06 Elijah 10/13/07 Adleigh 12/9/09 Micah 12/17/11

• image getnmarried910:
    Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!

THIS!

We haven't used it yet but we will be purchasing one for Alek when Draven arrives. he likes to run free now but if Im by myself I may need the exrta help.

to PP who said their child will be well behaved enough- good luck with that. I love how sure you are with the predictability of a toddler.

• yes.  and I will not feel guilt about it, either.

• image ablou:
    no, but I am considering a shock collar. ?Wink

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!?

• Initially, I thought leashes were a bit cruel. However, after seeing how wandersome children can be, I can see the necessity of them. My parents kept my siblings and I in line well without leashes, and ideally our kids will mind us like that. But, if we do have a wanderer, I'd use a leash.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image madhatter2003:

I have. No regrets.

Me, on my own, with a newborn and toddler in heathrow airport.

"nuff said  Stick out tongue

This. I don't have a newborn or toddler, but I don't see the problem. When you're in really really crowded places someone could walk right past and seperate you and your kid and that would be it. You can watch them all you want, but when the conditions are just so, they can be gone in a second. I remember vividly having one on when I was a toddler at the zoo and I am not scarred by it ;)

BFP after 17 months and first round of Clomid. Missing my 2 angel babies!image
  • My mom did it to me when we camped when I was young.  We'd sometimes end up with a campsite that had hazards nearby - running water, car paths, etc., and with tending to the fire and all of the other camp chores, she figured better safe than sorry.

That would have been in about 1978.  She said most people said it was a horrible thing to do at the time, but I think she was smart.

Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

image monkeybuttjunction image

• It's hard to say before actually having a child, but I haven't completely ruled them out. I would like to think that my kids will be well-behaved and want to be near me...but kids will be kids..and kids wander.
    My little sweetheart. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, I think I might.  I went to a baseball game and saw a little toddler with one.  It was the one with the monkey on the back.  I think it is cute.  I don't particuarly want to be chasing around a little toddler if we go to an event like a baseball game or the mall.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image getnmarried910:
    Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!

Ditto.  I never thought I'd do it, but when I'm trying to get around Center City Philadelphia with a 1 y/o in a stroller and a walking 2 y/o while also being pregnant, you bet your buns. DS still has freedom, but I can still keep him safe. He loves his monkey backpack and asks to wear it.

• not only no, but Hell no! It's lazy parenting, IMO.
  • image Jibbelle:

LOL   No!

My child will be well behaved enough that they will not need a leash.  :)

Where do I sign up for one of those kids?

"Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."
  • I don't have any strong opinions on this but I thought I'd share a funny:

I'm 7 years older than my brother.  When I was 9 and he was 2, we went on a big family vacation to New England.  We stopped at a lot of museums, amusement parks, etc.  At the beginning of the trip, my parents put a leash on him that was just a velcro strap on the wrist.  My brother is clever, he'd just undo the velcro and bolt.  I don't know how many times they grabbed him right before he climbed over a ledge, fell down stairs, etc.  By the end of the trip, he was wearing a vest leash with a zipper on the torso.  He wasn't coordinated enough to unzip it.

Moral of the story: toddlers are smarter and quicker than you think.

• Also, it totally depends on the kid. I was totally against them before I had kids. Then I had a DD who as soon as she turned 2 turned into a runner. It's not disobeying, just a typical toddler 'stage'.  In certain situations it's just not worth the 'risk' IMO.  All it takes is a split second.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't have one for my kids - so I probably won't have one for this little guy either.  I can understand why some parents use them.  DD#1 would probably wrestle the living daylights out of me if I had tried to put one on her.
  • It has NOTHING to do with your child being well behaved or not. Kids are curious and can wander, or like I said before, you can get separated due to high traffic areas whether you're holding their hand or watching them or not. Kid can't get snatched and kidnapped and never seen again if you care more about their safety than how you look.

BFP after 17 months and first round of Clomid. Missing my 2 angel babies!image
  • LOL at people who think their kids will be "well behaved" in public and who view leashes as "lazy".