2nd Trimester

Salad with Seared Ahi Tuna

My last pregnancy I had seared ahi maybe 6 times while I was pregnant- the Dr. said it wasn't a big deal to eat it once in a while. Any thoughts? I love ahi tuna and usually try to eat it once a week beofe I got pregnant. Anyone else giving into their cravings for ahi once in a while?

Re: Salad with Seared Ahi Tuna

• I don't think it's a good idea to eat raw fish.  Usually ahi tuna is barely cooked.

That being said I have had a couple of steaks cooked rare since being pg and I am fine.  I went to a wedding and the meal was filet mignon and it was rare.  And I can't recall exactly when but I know I have had steak that was still red a couple of other times.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wouldn't seared ahi tuna be both undercooked and containing mercury? I would avoid, but then again I avoid everything I've heard pregnant woment shouldn't eat. I guess if your doctor says its ok, but to me that would be a definite no-no.
  • Loading the player...
  • No but I have been craving raw sushi BAD.  I get so jealous of DH when we go out for sushi and I have to stick to the spicy crab while he eats anything he wants!
  • I've had sushi once so far, and that included a spicy tuna roll, amongst other raw fish varieties. I decided not to continue eating it because of the mercury factor - I have no problem with it being raw. I'll probably eat some salmon sashimi one of these days.
  • Tuna is my favorite! ?However, during pregnancy I have dropped it altogether. ?Because tuna is a predatory fish, it's getting mercury from the water as well as its prey. ?Double whammy! ?I only ate tuna steaks once or twice a month before baby, and now none at all. ?

To each her own... ?If OB says OK every once in awhile, rock on!?

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • IMO - I would still eat it.  I would just ask that they tuna be cooked through.  As long as you aren't eating it every day, you are fine.  I think you can have up to eight oz of tuna a week (if I'm not mistaken).

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Um yess YUMMY! I have been dying for some sushi, and I will definitely indulge in some RAWWW Maguro, Unagi, all kinds of stuff. We just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not worried about the raw factor, if it comes from a reputable place you shouldn't be any more concerned than you would if not pregnant. As for the mercury factor I just stay within the recommended amount per week. The Omega 3's and DHA from fish are a great benefit to baby. To each their own...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • I'm occasionally indulging in the 'forbidden' foods.  Like people said, if the place is reputable, then the fact that it's raw shouldn't be a problem.  As pp said, I'm just cutting back because of the mercury.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"