Pregnant after 35
Options

Big Baby - C-section?

I just came back from a scan at 36 weeks and the baby is measuring 8lbs! The peri suggested I talk to my dr about a c-section because it would weigh 10lbs if I go all the way to 40 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with how accurate the scans are at predicting weight/size? I know c-sections can limit the number of children you have...I was hoping for 2 more, max. Anyone have any experience with repeat c-sections?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Big Baby - C-section?

• Options
    Sorry, no repeat c-sections here, but my scan was almost spot on (I know most can be off) with only apx 3oz to spare!  I had the same experience with the weight of LO.  I'm sure even if you are considering a natural delivery, the doc will make the final decision (with your blessing) to do a c-section if he/she sees that the baby is having difficulty.
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sis, my DH, and I were all at least 9-10lbs and were all delivered vaginally.  And my MIL is not even 5' tall.  So a vaginal delivery is not out of the question.  I can't ever VBAC due to a medical issue, so I'm hoping for vaginal.  But there are plenty of people who VBAC after a low transverse incision.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would try to avoid a c-section if I were you.  I have heard many women say their scan estimate is off. 

I ended up with an unplanned c-section with my first baby (failure to descend), a failed VBAC with my section, and will have a 3rd c-section with this baby.  My OB does not limit the number of c-sections he will do on a patient, but it does get progressively more complicated and therefore dangerous with each surgery.  If you are looking at three max, I do not think you need to be concerned, though.  Good luck.  

• Options
    With DD#1, my U/S at 39 weeks was spot-on--at 39 weeks she was measuring 9 pounds, 2 ounces. My doc ordered a c-section--she had not dropped at all and he felt there would be major complications if a vag birth was attempted. When she was born a week later, via C-section, she weighed 9 pounds, 5 ounces. I've been hearing more and more that the later U/S are very accurate. Even though I am so far measuring smaller with this pregnancy--21 weeks and only 3 pounds gained so far--I have requested another C-section, even though my doc said he felt I could attempt a VBAC if I stayed small. I had absolutely no problems with the first C/S--was up and walking the same day with the last one--I am more than comfortable with my decision. I can relax the rest of my pregnancy because I feel I know what's coming up. This will also be our last child so I don't care about C/S limiting the number of babies I can have. I am also one who feels absolutely no need to experience a vaginal birth. Not scared of pain; let's just say I prefer to keep everything down there as it is now!
  • Options

In my case, the US was very accurate - a few ounces off.

My son was 9lb 13oz, and I decided to go with the C. (My doc offered the option and discussed the pros and cons of all options, but didn't press either way.)

As for repeat c/s, I can't really answer. I am not PG with #2, which will be my last.

• Options
    I can tell you their predictions can be WAY OFF!! I was basically told that they come up with their estimate based on the measurement of the leg bone. Well even on the day I delivered they told me DD would be 8 1/2 -9lbs...i freaked out!!! When she was born she was 6lbs 10oz - but had really long skinny legs so that is what threw off her measurements.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

At 40 weeks [due date] my baby was estimated at 10 pounds 3 ounces.  Doc gave me option of scheduling c-section or induction.  I opted for induction and was seriously hoping for the estimate to be high.  I delivered, vaginally, a 10 pound 15 ounce baby with ZERO complications.  I did have to have an episiotomy, but that was it.  No shoulder dystocia [shoulders getting stuck creating serious emergency situation] or any other issues that I had to be warned about.

Best of luck to you.

• Options

I'd see if you can get more info.

My first was small and diagnosed IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction or retardation).  But... his head was measuring in the 90th %ile while his abdomen was in the 3rd %ile.

I was given the option to try for a vaginal birth.  I asked some direct questions. I asked the perinatologist what she thought my chances of laboring only to end up with a section any way (and 2 different types of "recovery") were.  She said 85% the baby would end up in distress, unable to pass, and we'd have a section.

That made the decision simple for me.

See if you can find out about how the head is measuring.  If the baby's got chunky legs, no biggie.  If the baby's got a huge head - whole different ball game.

GL with your decisions.

FWIW - I've never regretted my 2 sections.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"